The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've run into an electrical problem I can't solve, which incidentally did come after a heavy rainstorm, though the car has had plenty of time to dry out now.

Details:
* 2005 stock federal Elise
* ~35,000 miles
* P0563 - system voltage high is only code
* Voltage across battery terminals while idling is 16.93 +/- 0.10 V
* No tach or mph indications at idle or with gas - needles stay at 0
* Intermittent ABS, airbag idiot lights
* Solid battery idiot light
* Gas indicator sometimes shows empty, sometimes partial, sometimes nearly full. - Gas in reality is 3/4 tank or so full.
* LCD backlight in odo / gas display cycles lit - unlit - lit at random

Previously the car was coughing badly and lit up with many dashboard lights coming home from work. I limped the last mile, restarting often.

Voltage was draining from the battery at a rate of .01 V every 5 seconds even with all 8 engine compartment fuses and all front clam accessory fuses pulled. Fuses re-installed, the car would idle for 10 seconds then cut out, and if the gas was pressed (in neutral) the car would cough and sputter out almost immediately.

I traced the main power leads from the battery and looked for shorts, and I taped up contact points with the frame or other cables / hoses though no abrasions were apparent. I was able to stabilize resting battery at 12.32 V.

Upon starting again I got an idle that would maintain and not stall out, and I could rev the engine without coughing and have it return to idle. But still no life on the tach or mph gauges, and the LCD backlight still flashes, code remains, and voltage at the battery is still too high.

My thoughts of potential root causes are:
1) short
2) alternator (replaced one year ago with while engine was out)
3) voltage regulator (don't know much about these)

Any thoughts on the next things to do to diagnose? Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
it looks something short to me... in any case:

1) checked the heart point ?
2) what's status of engine relays ?
3) how much voltage is arriving on dash?
4) cleaned ecu connector ?

dash needle are controlled by ecu can function so it could be ecu related or dash related.

start from here, anyway needles are controlled by ecu directly via can

http://www.boefabrication.com/downloads/elise_north_america_1-16.pdf

·
Registered
51 Posts
it looks something short to me... in any case:

1) checked the heart point ?
2) what's status of engine relays ?
3) how much voltage is arriving on dash?
4) cleaned ecu connector ?

dash needle are controlled by ecu can function so it could be ecu related or dash related.

start from here, anyway needles are controlled by ecu directly via can

http://www.boefabrication.com/downlo...erica_1-16.pdf

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
First and foremost you need to address the voltage issue, the dash issues more then likely are symptomatic of the high system voltage and will just need a reset.
If your electrical system is running above 14.5 volts there is an issue with the regulator that is integral to the alternator. You need to replace the alternator which will solve the high system voltage then address any other issue left over. More then likely your sputtering and poor running is also related to the voltage the ECU is seeing. Too low or too high causes running issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts