·
Registered
'17 Evora 400, IPS, Racing Green
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone ever see this code?

P1909 Transmission Range Selector Position Control Error
Malfunction Criteria:
•The range selector feedback shows the actual position of the selector motor to be outside of +/- 5% tolerance of the learnt position.
Potential failure modes
•Lost motion in the connecting rod
•Loose motor mounts
•Incorrectly set rod length

This appeared suddenly along with P0700 (generic TCU electrical fault code?).

When I switched on the ignition, the car threw those codes and started in "D" instead of "P" and then instantly jumped to N. Wouldn't go to P, and thus engine could not be started. Shut it off, restarted the car, stuck in D but wasn't actually in D (car rolled in my slightly sloped driveway when I took the parking brake off, i.e. trans was actually in N). Cycled the car a few times this way with no change, so I went to eat dinner.

Came back after an hour and car now starts up in P, engine runs, managed to shift into R and back into the garage, no issues whatsoever.

Wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this. What was the issue, fix, and cost? TIA!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Went through all this in my first Evora IPS. I think its worth replacing the range sensor - it's a $200 Toyota part, but not that easy to get to. Remove driver's side rear wheel arch and you can access it. In my case however, Lotus would never warranty the fix and after several arguments, my dealer bought my car back. My car also had a bevy of other issues, but this was the biggest of them all.

If you do get stranded because the tranny won't shift, unplugging the battery would sometimes force the tranny back into P. I had a battery quick disconnect terminal installed in my old car. That's a sad state of affairs, but hey it might allow you to get the car out of the way if you get stranded somewhere very inconvenient/unsafe.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
'17 Evora 400, IPS, Racing Green
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update for sake of completeness:
Code went away on its own after a couple nights of the car being on the tender and a couple of ignition cycles. I had forgotten to plug it in for about 1.5wks leading up to the issue. Hoping that's the cause, impossible to confirm.

Buzzing sound in engine bay that I couldn't identify as normal or not (too paranoid!) turned out to be normal, it's the PWM throttle body. Guess I had never noticed it before as I usually don't have the trunk open while ignition is switched on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts