The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard mixed reviews about P21S carnuaba wax. Some say it has a great shine, but doesn't last. Others say it's easy to apply and does last.

I live in LA where it rarely rains, but is usually pretty warm....mostly in the 80's.

What have you found in using P21S, Zymol, Klasse, Mothers, etc.?

Which has the best shine and the longest last? Easiest to apply, etc.

I tend to hand wax my cars, but do you recommend an orbital?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Jasonv44 said:
I have heard mixed reviews about P21S carnuaba wax. Some say it has a great shine, but doesn't last. Others say it's easy to apply and does last.
they're both right (and wrong)

I'd say it has a great shine, is easy to use, and doesn't last.

I haven't seen many people claim that it is particularly long-lasting. No carnauba is.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
P21s / S100 lasts about two months in the Northeast. It's super easy to apply since it goes on with one hand and comes off with the other. No white residue on the plastic trim either - saves time. It's only a bit harder to do than spray detailing your car. It has an A+ appearance. Synthetics like Zaino don't look as good (maybe A-) but last about three times longer. They are much more involved to apply if you follow the steps the Zainoites use. Some folks put down a Zaino base and then lay on a coat of P21S / S100 the day before a show or event. You can definitely see a slight improvement in the finish. BTW in my view nearly any wax is better than none at all. If you don't wax but keep your car clean you might have a B appearance with reasonably fresh paint.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
In hot climates wax only lasts about 2 - 4 weeks, I recommend a polymer product like Klasse or Zaino for hot weather, they are good for 6 - 9 months!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
If I put a carnuba wax over a synthetic (for example, P21S over Zaino or Klasse),
a) will the carnuba wax not last as long as compared to if it was put directly on the paint without the synthetic (due to the synthetic inhibiting the carnuba wax from sticking)?
b) will the carnuba over the synthetic look as good as the carnuba alone?

Zymol has various grades of carnuba wax. Do the ones with a higher concentration of carnuba last longer?

Is there some magic paint treatment for less than about $500 that I can get done that will mean I don't have to wax my car for years and will look great?

I plan to use the car as a daily driver, and I live in a hot area (inland of San Diego). I want my car to look great with good paint protection, but I don't want to have to work a lot to achieve it.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
The carnauba should stick just fine to Klasse or Zaino, however with something like Rejex, it may not. The other thing to consider is the solvent/cleaner level. Certain liquid waxes could strip the underlying layer of sealant. P21S will not AFAIK.

>>>b) will the carnuba over the synthetic look as good as the carnuba alone?

This is a matter of experimentation and personal preference. Some people don't like carnauba over things like Menzerna FMJ, but do over things like Wolgang or Klasse. I have heard of people not liking carnauba over Zaino because it dulls the reflectivity a bit and does not allow you to take advantage of layering and the interaction of the car wash and quick detailer.

>>>>Zymol has various grades of carnuba wax. Do the ones with a higher concentration of carnuba last longer?
Haven't tried all of the Zymol line, but in theory, this is a true statement of the same formula to an extent. In practice, it may not make much of a difference. In general, Zymol is not going to last as long as your requirements may mandate. There's nothing wrong with rewaxing every month.

>>>>Is there some magic paint treatment for less than about $500 that I can get done that will mean I don't have to wax my car for years and will look great?
No, not strictly. However, for $500, you can have your car detailed by a professional more than three times. Probably many more if all you want is wax/washes each time.

If you want a carnauba that lasts long, try either Collinite or Meguiar's #16. The latter is an old school product and comes in a blue can. Meguiars has moved away from this sort of wax in favor of products a bit easier to remove and easier to market. Doesn't get much publicity, but it lasts. A wax like One Grand Blitz is going to last longer than P21S, but may not look quite as good.

You might be happy with a hybrid polymer product such as Einszett Glanz wax that Nick sells, or something similar. It will last longer than your P21S, but is not quite as fussy as Klasse SG or Zaino.

If you are willing to put in some effort, I would try either Einszett Glanz or the Klasse twins, topped with the carnauba of your choice, applied whenever you feel like it.

Most of the work is an initial time investment, and then maintenance is fairly simple until you have time to start over again from scratch (six months to a year). For example, I do a major detailing every 12 months. This means I start from scratch, polish/clay, and apply multiple coats of sealant. Then I freshen the surface with a few more layers when I feel like, every 3-6 months, with only regular washings/wipe downs between.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Chris...I just put a coat of P21S on my Elise by hand in just over 10 minutes. It's the easiest to use wax I've ever come across. A porter cable machine would have slowed me down. The car is small. Just put a coat on every 6-8 weeks or whatever time period works for your climate / car use patterns - after the car has been washed and is clean.

You also cannot take the Elise through normal car washes - which may affect your habits as they pertain to your desire for low effort. Hand wash only, costs a bit more than by machine though or else do it yourself! The P21S / S100 can be applied with one hand and wiped off with the other and it won't leave white stuff on all of the Elise's black trim and grills and such. There is no problem with putting a layer over Zaino or other synthetics. To me the synthetics are great for durability but have kind of a sterile appearance. Sort of like fake wood surfaces versus real ones with detail and warmth.

·
Registered
528 Posts

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Was just testing some swirl removal polish with the Porter Cable, then did a quick coat of Klasse AIO topped with P21S. Sorry, forgot to wipe up the polish dust on the rear window. :eek:

Stan really loves this stuff for good reason.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Stan, have you posted pictures of your car yet? Would love to see the P21S treatment.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>Stan, have you posted pictures of your car yet? Would love to see the P21S treatment.<<<

No...I've been out driving it! I have never been able to get a clear photo showing the differences between waxes. You can see it for yourself if you do partial panels. Photos of any decent wax finish will tend to look basically the same.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I seem to recall from a few months ago a link in this forum (or maybe puresportscar) to a website that did a comparison of some synthetic and carnuba waxes in regards to their tendency to attract dust and dirt. I tried searching for the reference, but can't seem to find it. Does anyone have that link?
Thanks

·
Registered
2005 elise touring ardent red
612 Posts
i just came back from my local Indian motorcycle shop to see if they had any s100 wax.....and they didnt.
does anyone know of a cheap website to order the stuff?
i heard it is half the price of the car version.

·
Registered
528 Posts
ChrisH said:
I seem to recall from a few months ago a link in this forum (or maybe puresportscar) to a website that did a comparison of some synthetic and carnuba waxes in regards to their tendency to attract dust and dirt. I tried searching for the reference, but can't seem to find it. Does anyone have that link?
Thanks
http://www.deckowski.com/wax off/durability.htm

Malm's on left, Zaino on right.

·
Registered
2005 elise touring ardent red
612 Posts
that site liked zaino but it takes too many coats.
i would like to try the s100 didnt find a website though.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Being a long time user of the mail order zymol (not the junk in the stores). After reading Vantag and JamesA's opinions on it. I tried zaino, I've been very impressed with the quality of the shine as well as longevity. The initial multicoats is a bit time consuming but with zymol I found a daily driver needed to be waxed monthly. Zaino looks like I'll get several months out of each application, dead easy to work with.

Also been turned on to the joys of microfibre towels etc.
Chris

·
Registered
402 Posts
Zaino for sure...

I'm convinced Zaino is the best.

Don't believe the stories about how you need so many multiple coats.

Once you go through the initial prep, it's very easy to maintain with a minimum of fuss. I'd much rather be driving that goofing around cleaning.

www.zainostore.com

-Jim

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
rucnok said:
that site liked zaino but it takes too many coats.
i would like to try the s100 didnt find a website though.
All Harley-Davidson dealers cary S100-labelled P21S waxes and polishes. They also carry Plexus plastic cleaner which is awesome for convertible top windows, etc. if you have any use for that.

--Josh

1 - 20 of 24 Posts