The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, hoping someone out there can help point me in the right direction for a recurring issue I'm having with an N/A 05' Elise with 26K miles on it.

**back story**

About a month ago my car threw code P0012. Had two shops check it out and ultimately I was told the VVL sprocket/actuator/gizmo went bye bye so it was replaced. Prior to that the car was in "limp" mode and started/ran fine, just no second cam.

**end back story**

After getting the car back I could once again use the 2nd cam, car ran strong for a few days, now it's continuously throwing P2647.

The Lotus Service notes PDF I scrounged up online calls the error:

A Rocker Arm Actuator System Stuck On

So one of the first things I did was changing my air filter and cleaning my MAF sensor and throttle body. I checked for any loose or ill-fitting wires and came up dry. I checked the fuses in the engine bay, no issues there. I've searched here and Google and found a few threads from people with this error but none of their fixes have worked for me thus far.

The very last thing *we* did, and I say we because Kimgt on here helped me a ton with this, is to replace the VVL Pressure sensor as seen here:

Toyota/Lotus OEM Sensor-VVL Pressure 2ZZ (LOTUS A120E6373S)Used - TOY-83530-20030-U van Toyota OEM

We found one at AutoZone and swapped it in, drove for a bit, etc and now the code is back yet again. Very last thing I've done is to clean the wiring connector for this particular sensor in the off chance I might get lucky.

If anyone knows of something else that I should be checking, please chime in.

Here are the threads and sites I've referenced thus far:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101/obdii-code-p2647-103597/

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f259/common-causes-burning-coolant-208954/

http://www.billswebspace.com/2ZZVVTOCVCleaning.htm

DIY - Servicing/Changing Oil Control Valve (OCV) filters/strainers - Workshop Submissions - Toyota Owners Club - Australia

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
945 Posts
I've attached the Toyota guide for troubleshooting this P-code. Same problem with a different name. The troubleshooting steps are more verbose than the Lotus manual which may be of assistance to you.

Have you tried applying battery voltage to the lift solenoid at idle and seeing if the car dies (meaning lift engaged)? That will teach you whether the code is real (telling you that indeed the oil pressure is not as expected, meaning there's an issue or blocked passage in the OCV system) or false (i.e. sensor failure/clog or bad wiring). It's one of the steps in the Toyota guide.

Attachments

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hadn't seen that and I hadn't tried but I definitely will now, thank you!!!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have to bump this thread again unfortunately.

Same code still happening and to answer bri3d's question about testing the OCV with battery voltage, yes we did try that and verified the solenoid/motor is engaging and doing what it should.

Since the oil pressure sensor was replaced, the wiring "looks" ok and we've checked the OCV's and mesh filters for debris does anyone else have any ideas as to what might be causing this or what else to check?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Its a real shame that ExigeNY didn't post which grounding cable was fried.

Maybe we can eliminate that next? take off all lower panels and trace all grounding wires.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts