The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend and I are working on setting up a sports car track day at Pacific Grand Prix on a weekday sometime in July. Cost will be about $100 each, depending on how many show up. Send me a PM if you're interested in participating.

More PGP videos on my youtube page.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I'd be interested and might be able to get a few more people interested as well.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Do you mean taking our cars on the track or going karting on the track?

I'm interested either way, but I'd like to know how much track time we'd get for the $100.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'll definitely do it if I'm in town. Price is good. Get me dates and I can get a firm commitment from me and my friend.

justin

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cars on the track. Probably about 3-5 at a time, spaced out so we won't get in each others' way. There will be no passing allowed because it's such a small track. We've set a maximum of 25 cars, so you should get 1-2 hours of track time in the 8 hour day.

In my opinion PGP is more fun than PR, at least in the Lotus. It's more like autocrossing than roadracing.

The date is Tuesday, July 7.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Aww... too bad I am out of town. If it were for a different day, I will be highly interested. Please PM me if there is changes. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
HexAngel, I can commit for sure. I'm Louis, the guy with the silver boxster at yesterday's Alfa Event. Just let me know what I need to do. louho-at-hotmail-dot-com

What's up Justin, can u vouch for me? :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hmm, the other thread says no track experience required.

I am interested, but need to double check before asking for one day off from my boss. Will the groups be arranged by experience/speed? I have been to Pacific Raceway once, but was the slowest in Class D. The feeling of blocking everyone behind makes me nervous, and we do not even have a let-by zone at PGP.

If that is not an issue, I am in. :nanner:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm, the other thread says no track experience required.

I am interested, but need to double check before asking for one day off from my boss. Will the groups be arranged by experience/speed? I have been to Pacific Raceway once, but was the slowest in Class D. The feeling of blocking everyone behind makes me nervous, and we do not even have a let-by zone at PGP.
We're planning on having "expert" and "novice" groups, depending on whether you've had track experience, but it's up to you what group you'll be in. If you find yourself in the wrong group we'll switch you to a different one. Since there are five groups we may end up having "slow", "medium", "fast", "really fast", "unbelievably fast", or something like that. We'll see how it goes.

If somebody finds himself held up by a slowpoke he can idle down the front and back straights to open up a gap. That's the only time anybody should be looking in their mirrors at all (when slowing down unexpectedly). Otherwise pay no attention to what's behind you, just drive at your own pace.

If that is not an issue, I am in. :nanner:
Excellent.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Great! Count me in then.

In your five groups, I will probably go with "medium", if not everybody has spent a lot of time on track.

Please let me know the plan when it is finalized. Thank you.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I am now definitely in. I might not be there for the entire time because I have family in town. I'll pay full price and probably use 60-70%. more time for everyone else!

Justin

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm in:clap:
put me on the list

·
Registered
166 Posts
Are they going to have those plastic barriers up like they have in your video? It gives you zero runoff room in quite a few of the corners.

Can two drivers drive the same car? (as in pay one entry fee and trade off who runs when the group is up.)

I'm going to be at the PR main track on the 10th, but I'm really tempted.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Are they going to have those plastic barriers up like they have in your video? It gives you zero runoff room in quite a few of the corners.
The track will probably be set up exactly as in the video. We'll have another look at the barrier situation tomorrow and if there are no safety issues we might use cones instead of barriers, or just leave them out altogether in some places. They're probably there for a reason, to keep you from crossing over onto another part of the track or running into something even worse (like a fence). So far in testing we've never had anybody come anywhere near the barriers, even though we've put a few wheels in the dirt on the very tight north section.

Can two drivers drive the same car? (as in pay one entry fee and trade off who runs when the group is up.)
After tossing it back and forth for a while we settled on sharing the costs per-driver instead of per-car. I'll toss it back at Arnon again but I think we're going to stick with per-driver. That's how all the clubs seem to do it. If you share a car you'll just have to be in different run groups, and the car will run in both groups. Trying to pro-rate partial days is too complicated for simple cavemen like us. Sign up for the full day, and drive the full day!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just a comment, but the BMW clubs and Porsche clubs both allow co-drivers. They do charge a few bucks for the privilege (like 10%). The idea is that you've paid for the track, and you can use it however you like. Clearly, if you do this, each person gets less run time.

Not sure why it's harder to administer- Red Lotus #7 is in run group 2. Don't care who is driving it. I wasn't trying to have two people pay - I'd pay the full amount, just when I got there, someone else could drive in some of the sessions. I agree having actual pro-rated payments would be a mess.

Anyway, appreciate you setting it all up, and however you want to run it is cool. I was just hoping to bring my dad along and let him drive once or twice.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The plastic barriers have been moved well off the pavement. There's really no way you can hit them except by doing some serious off-roading or taking a sudden turn in the middle of the straight. We shot another video today that should show the new placement; I'll get it on line soon.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think the main argument here is whether two drivers for the same car will get the same seat time (as the car stays in one group) or twice the time (in two different groups).

If the former, I agree that the cost should be roughly the same. But the two drivers had better be at the same skill level so that other drivers in the group do not have to tell if it is the fast or the slow driver in the car.

If the latter, the same car takes twice the time on track, so it should be charged twice.

Just my two cents.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts