The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an official answer on the weight of the Touring Package and the Sport Package?

Rumour has it that that electric window system is lighter than the manual cranks -- but as far as I can see there is no word on the total weight differential on the packages.

Anyone? Anyone?

Incidentally, the Federal Elise I got to drive last Tuesday had the Touring package and no Sport package. ...and it was great!

(It also had a one-off carpet color placement on the side of the car. It ran up the sides too far from where it will run on production. Of course, I only found that out after and did not take a picture of the anomoly...)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
The Electric window vs Manual window savings was a rumor. But the difference is very small.

Touring Package adds around 12 pounds.

LSS removes about 40 pounds (mostly in rims).

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
originally posted by Randy Chase
LSS removes about 40 pounds (mostly in rims).
40 lbs!!!! Are you sure, Randy? I thought it saves about 22 lbs. Boy am I happy if 40 lbs is true.
Ara

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Randy,

the 1975 lbs weight includes the touring pack, right? at least that is what i have heard. i also heard from a lotus rep, i think nick, at the LAAS, that you can delete the radio and AC which will save 45 lbs. and $500. i plan on deleting the radio only which will save me 23 lbs.

does all this sound accurate to you. If so, my elise will be exactly 1900 lbs, which is an excellent start. Check my signature for my elise's configuration.

how much weight does the hardtop add? I heard 36 lbs...ouch!!!

thanks!
Ara

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
originally posted by transio
I'd lose the A/C if i didn't live in Hell
i wish i could lose the AC, too. I've started to drive without the AC so I could get used to the heat (of course I have the windows down, i'm not entirely crazy). It's not so bad, so maybe by the time i order the car i'll delete that too and save another 22 lbs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So then, we're saying:

- Base car = 1975
- Touring Package = 12
- Sport Package = -22

- Total Weight = 1965 ???

I guess we'll have to wait and see. I've got a set of scales and I figure that the first thing I'll do is weigh my car.

After I drive it home, of course...

·
Registered
259 Posts
According to an prior Autoweek article, you can lose the AC. There will be a delete option that will save you $500 in the fall.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
shay2nak said:
Randy,

the 1975 lbs weight includes the touring pack, right? at least that is what i have heard. i also heard from a lotus rep, i think nick, at the LAAS, that you can delete the radio and AC which will save 45 lbs. and $500. i plan on deleting the radio only which will save me 23 lbs.
I had heard that the delete option coming in the fall would save you 40 pounds or so. But I doubt the radio is 23 pounds, almost all of that is the A/C. My home theater receiver is not 23 pounds. :)

The hardtop is not that heavy either, plus you have to subtract the weight of the removed soft top.

·
Registered
670 Posts
shay2nak said:
i wish i could lose the AC, too. I've started to drive without the AC so I could get used to the heat (of course I have the windows down, i'm not entirely crazy). It's not so bad, so maybe by the time i order the car i'll delete that too and save another 22 lbs.
Purely a guess on my part of course, but I imagine the damage to aerodynamics caused by top off and windows down would hurt performance more than the 22lb air conditioner does. I live in
S Cal (Santa Clarita) and would not own a car without air ever again.

Steve

·
Registered
670 Posts
Randy Chase said:
My home theater receiver is not 23 pounds. :)

You have to also factor in the weight of the four magnets in the four speakers. Depending on speaker size and quality they can be significant.

Steve

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Originally posted by Sownman
You have to also factor in the weight of the four magnets in the four speakers. Depending on speaker size and quality they can be significant.

I live in S Cal (Santa Clarita) and would not own a car without air ever again.
Exactly, you have to count the weight of the drivers. They can be as much as 3 to 5 lbs.

I'm sure I'll be keeping the AC, I agree with you I've driven a car that had no AC and it was hell. On top of that, I plan on driving with the hardtop 90% the time which will increase the cabin temperature even more.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Originally posted by Randy Chase
I had heard that the delete option coming in the fall would save you 40 pounds or so. But I doubt the radio is 23 pounds, almost all of that is the A/C. My home theater receiver is not 23 pounds.
The Sports Car International article on the Elise stated that the AC added 22 lbs and commented on the fact that it was one of the lightest and most compact AC they had ever seen.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Weight of the stereo is insignificant in respect to everything else. And unless you plan on racing your Elise, it's just stupid. In which case you'd have to add a roll cage and other heavy safety equip. AC is a must. Especially in Socal. If anyone on this forum can tell the difference in performance/weight with and without the AC unit - they're leagues beyond everyone else and should be sponsored by Ferrari along side Shumacher.

Hell, go on a diet if you really want to cut some weight and improve performance! And you'll be able to get in/out of the car any easier too.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
i live in virgina, i have never had AC in any of my sports cars, and it was never an issue since they were convertibles and i just allways ran with the tops down anyways... heck, my TVR didn't even have a heater that worked right! i could do the delete package and be perfectly happy. if the delete option doesn't happen, then i will get the hardtop and do serious AC action. its just hard for me to think "climate control" and "top off sports car" together, but if its there .. enjoy it!

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
originally posted by jdl8r
Hell, go on a diet if you really want to cut some weight and improve performance! And you'll be able to get in/out of the car any easier too.
I'm already 150 lbs, so that's not a problem. And i sure as hell am not going on any diet!

I'm not going to throw the radio out to save weight and stop there. It's a start. I'm not getting the touring pack which save more weight. I'm getting LSS thereby saving even more weight. I plan on dumping another 150 lbs or so from my car. My target is 1800 lbs. On top of that, I've driven an Elise, and it is way too noisy for me to listen to the radio anyway. Plus i don't listen to the radio, only AM traffic reports to and from work. ;) The engine and the environment make the perfect melody for me. :D

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
jdl8r said:
Weight of the stereo is insignificant in respect to everything else. And unless you plan on racing your Elise, it's just stupid. In which case you'd have to add a roll cage and other heavy safety equip. AC is a must. Especially in Socal. If anyone on this forum can tell the difference in performance/weight with and without the AC unit - they're leagues beyond everyone else and should be sponsored by Ferrari along side Shumacher.

I could tell the difference in 30-40 pounds if my race car. Im removed the A/C for that reason. In time trials and autocross, at the higher levels of the sport, the difference between winning and losing is normally under 1/10th of a second in a laptime. Can 30-40 pounds add up to under 1/10th a second?

Anyway, I am not leagues beyond everyone and Ferarri is welcome to sponsor me, but that would be dumb on their part..:) but I can tell the difference in weight. Specially on a lighter car.

I do agree on personally losing weight also, but there is only so much one can do there.

Personally, I hope to hell that Lotus never does come out with the radio/AC delete option. Because by the rules in SCCA, if they don't come out with it, we are not allowed to remove those items. My last car it was legal to remove the AC, so it was dumb to not remove it. But it sucked driving to a race across the Nevada desert in the summer!

·
Registered
357 Posts
The reason I mention it is this: I ride motorcycles. Sport style riceburners so to speak. I meet all this dudes that talk about how much more horse-power their bikes have after all their modifications etc. They also talk about how much lighter their bikes are than mine [RC51] after upgraded wheels [less rotating mass as well] carbon fibre tanks and lightened exhausts etc.

Personally, I upgraded and tuned my suspension to my own weight and riding style. That by itself will make more of a difference than all the HP and all the weight gains possible with such equipment.

I also think that if you can tell the difference of 30lbs it's placebo. I've added/removed weight of that magnitude to my bike where such numbers are close to double digit percentages of the entire weight [pilot included] and couldn't tell the difference, neither could my laptimes.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
fitfan said:
i live in virgina, i have never had AC in any of my sports cars, and it was never an issue since they were convertibles and i just allways ran with the tops down anyways...
I also live in Virginia. My sports car has AC (at least one of them, the garage queen doesn't). I have the top down as much as possible, but I still need the AC. Getting caught in a downpour in the high humidity pretty much requires the AC on to defrost the windshield. I've also been know to turn on the AC with the top down, just to blow cool air on my face or feet while sitting in backed up traffic.

I'd have taken the Elise without the AC and made do, but I, for one, am glad that it's standard.

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
479 Posts
jdl8r said:
I also think that if you can tell the difference of 30lbs it's placebo. I've added/removed weight of that magnitude to my bike where such numbers are close to double digit percentages of the entire weight [pilot included] and couldn't tell the difference, neither could my laptimes.
The clock is still sensitive to the weight of the car even if my butt-dyno isn't.

Drop 20 lbs from a vehicle and it will be a bit faster around a track or autocross course whether you can feel it or not. I can't say for sure why your laptimes didn't drop, but they should have, even if it was only by a little bit. If the improvement was smaller than the precision of your driving it would be hard to see the improvement unless you average over a large number of laps...but the improvement still would be there.

I'm no Schumacher, but when I drop 150lbs from my car, my autocross laptimes show big improvements. When I drop 15lbs from the car the improvements are much smaller, but are still measureable. People love to make the argument that none of us is a good enough driver to benefit from X (where X can be LSS, weight gains, tire improvements, whatever...). This is a very poor argument...we all can benefit from the car being better. Every one of us has the ability to ask more of the car than it can deliver. If it can deliver more, we will benefit because we can ask for more before it slides. The difference between a great driver and me isn't that I can't use all the car can give...the difference is that the great driver can very consistently ask for 100% of what the car can deliver without overdriving the car.

I won't be deleting AC or the radio though...I plan on spending plenty of time in the car on the road and comfort like that is worth 20-40lbs to me. If I were more serious about racing, I'd delete them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts