The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm aware of a pad beneath the seat cushion that can be removed for some extra headroom in my '94 S4, but what I really need is incremental legroom. I've found that there is woven padding in the seatback that can be removed with some effort by unzipping the upholstery back and tugging on it with a set of pliers, working side to side.

Once removed, you'll need to release the hog rings that hold the upholstery to the bar at the bottom/back of the seat, pull the leather taught and reinstall the hog rings to secure the upholstery. If you don't do this, you'll have sagging leather.

As you can see from the photos, The padding is nearly an inch thick and does not compress much. Once removed, you're able to set back further in the seat and gain some precious amount of legroom in an environment where it is difficult to find. An added plus is that by removing the padding, you now sit deeper into the seat and the seatback side bolsters are more pronounced.

Attachments

·
Registered
1993.5 Lotus Esprit Turbo
22 Posts
Love this idea, not sure if it's present in the '93.5 (haven't been able to figure out if the seats are S4 or SE).

I had a Z3 M Coupe and took out a pad in the firewall that made a huge difference, so this seems like it could have a huge impact. How long did this mod take you and what tools were needed?

Any chance you have a picture of the hog rings? I very well may do this before my drive home as I need all the space I can get.

Surprised this hasn't gotten more attention.

Thanks!

·
Registered
922 Posts
I just looked at the photos of your new car again. Same seats as mine, which should have the same seats as Bob had. I did not remove the back pad as I was changing to a race seat which gave way more room. I did remove the bottom cushion for a while which gave a bit more room but made the seat a little less comfy. That cushion can be removed with out any tools.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Here are a couple of pics

The bottom pad slides into the metal frame work - pad is not in there in pic

s1.jpg

I think these are the rings Bob mentioned. At a minimum you will potentially need hog ring pliers.

s2.jpg

Just throwing mud at the wall here.
  • Seat is very quick in and out
  • UNbolt and remove
  • Purchase some ~ 3" high density furniture foam at a Hobby Lobby type store
  • Cut to fit floor and back.
  • Would not be comfortable - may not be safe
  • Not sure you could get the seat in the car anywhere. Maybe ship it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here are a couple of pics

The bottom pad slides into the metal frame work - pad is not in there in pic

View attachment 1271304

I think these are the rings Bob mentioned. At a minimum you will potentially need hog ring pliers.

View attachment 1271305

Just throwing mud at the wall here.
  • Seat is very quick in and out
  • UNbolt and remove
  • Purchase some ~ 3" high density furniture foam at a Hobby Lobby type store
  • Cut to fit floor and back.
  • Would not be comfortable - may not be safe
  • Not sure you could get the seat in the car anywhere. Maybe ship it?
Thanks, this is very helpful!

I'll definitely be removing the seat to take the washers off, removing the bottom pad and likely removing the rear pad - do you know - is it underneath the black backing shown in your second picture? What would need to be removed to get access?

Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
@BobWeber what tools were required to remove that pad and pull the leather back taught? I'm considering doing this prior to my drive home, but will need to have all tools with me as I fly in.

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts