The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a set of Pagid Blues on my 05 Elise this summer. They have maybe 5k miles on them and the rotors were fine. In the past few days they started screeching really badly. Its not when theyre wet or just a bit of rust, but its not everytime I brake. I can't figure out anything other than maybe when they're cooling down after some fun but not enough to say its direct cause and effect. Is this a TADTS situation or should I be concerned?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I solved the squeeking brake problem which is a combination of bad pads(stock, and pagid), and drilled rotors. I now have slotted rotors from s111, and hawk pads, and I have zero squeek now.

Drilled rotors carve the pads unevenly. The holes carve out ruts, and the pad only contacts the smooth part of the disk, causing the squeek. The suggestion to rebed the brakes is really "retarded logic". Your damaging your own brakes by intentionally going really fast, and then slamming on the brakes. If you do enough damage you might re flatten your rotors for a few days of quiet, but you have fixed nothing.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Some brake material has a tendency to make noise during a cool down from a heat cycle, pretty much the exact condition you have described. Contrary to some opinions rebedding your brakes won't hurt anything but probably won't stop your noise problem. If you find the noise intolerable I recommend using some silicone anti squeal compound on the backing plates. You can find this stuff at any auto parts store and it will help. Don't put it on too thick or you will end up with a softer brake pedal.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,557 Posts
Damnation !

That is exactly what I have going on, but in my estimation it seems to happen when they are warm/hot :shrug:

I was wondering what to do so between re-bedding and some of that backing goop... It should be ok again. Is disconcerting and seems to happen when I am already slow and coming to final stop at intersection.

I have the Pagid Blue's as well heh:cool:

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
The holes carve out ruts, and the pad only contacts the smooth part of the disk, causing the squeek. The suggestion to rebed the brakes is really "retarded logic". Your damaging your own brakes by intentionally going really fast, and then slamming on the brakes.
rotflrotflrotfl

1 - 12 of 12 Posts