The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
At the LA show, the blue Elise has paint chip protection in front of the rear wheel. Although it does not stand out too bad, it does add some lines to an otherwise clean look.

Here is a pic:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts
I had noticed that on some of the other pictures and assumed it was paint protection, since I couldn't account for it by the lighting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
It shouldnt look like that ! ...I have it all over the nose/sides of my black car and you can barely see it.....it looks like whoever waxed/polished the car prior to the show went a bit overboard and didnt take enough care when going around the edges of the paint protection film
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Good observation

Good obversation bogie. I have no experience with the paint chip protection but if you look at the left side of the film, you'll note that the line is barely noticable compared to the right side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,802 Posts
Just a bit more buffing with a towel will get rid of the outline, no big deal.

I've used the stuff for years on parts of my motorcycle, exc. stuff.

BTW>In another thread Arno mentions a good place for the material are the rockers. I suspect I'll put it there, on the wheel arches and lower part of the front, I've seen some carry it to extremes and cover the hood or part of it.

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
It should come as std on the rear arches (as in the pic)

If they offer it in stages then Id just do the front clam and the sills - they suffer quite badly with stone chips

The whole kit comes with bits around the keyholes, oil filler cap, boot lid etc...not really necessary...especially if you have central locking and wont be using the keys !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
bogie said:
The whole kit comes with bits around the keyholes, oil filler cap, boot lid etc...not really necessary...especially if you have central locking and wont be using the keys !
Does Elise have remote keyless entry?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
607 Posts
I have seen S2 pictures with the paint chip film being black. I had a red 1986 911 Porsche Turbo that had oem black paint chip film in front of the back fenders.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,230 Posts
Is this OEM stuff we are looking at?

It looks very much like the black protection kit on my Exige - which is an OEM item.

I don't know if the S2 Elise comes with something similar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
607 Posts
meat said:
Is this OEM stuff we are looking at?

It looks very much like the black protection kit on my Exige - which is an OEM item.

I don't know if the S2 Elise comes with something similar.
Correct! It was either an S1 or Exige.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,269 Posts
there's a product sold on the 'left coast'
called Crystal Guard. The Ferrari, Porsche
and Nizzan Z owners are swearing by it.
Not a wax, but applied easily like one.
No swirls, much more brightness than any wax, and like 8 times stronger. Can
even put it on the window glass. It will
protect against stones, and the like, and
looks like the product of the future..now!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,744 Posts
Ridgemanron said:
there's a product sold on the 'left coast'
called Crystal Guard. The Ferrari, Porsche
and Nizzan Z owners are swearing by it.
Not a wax, but applied easily like one.

It will
protect against stones, and the like, and
looks like the product of the future..now!
It doesn't protect against stones, checkout their website:

http://www.crystalguard.com/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,269 Posts
Re: Crystal Guard literature- "Crystal guard is 800% more durable than the typical Teflon-based polymer coating."
That's an Absolute Hardness Rating of
72. Iron nails are a 21, while other sealants are only a 9. You get great resistance to stones being tossed up at your car when you realize even with momentum, they might reach 3 times
that of an iron nail (62). That is still under
Crystal Guard's protection (hardness) level of 72.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,744 Posts
Ridgemanron said:
Re: Crystal Guard literature- "Crystal guard is 800% more durable than the typical Teflon-based polymer coating."
That's an Absolute Hardness Rating of
72. Iron nails are a 21, while other sealants are only a 9. You get great resistance to stones being tossed up at your car when you realize even with momentum, they might reach 3 times
that of an iron nail (62). That is still under
Crystal Guard's protection (hardness) level of 72.
I must be missing something. Nowhere on their site can I find where they claim it protects against stones chips.

Can you post the link?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
In the FAQ it says it only lasts about a year too. Id sooner have some plastic film I can tear off when it gets grotty...that stuff may be good for general use but what about deeper scratches etc?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,269 Posts
They have no way of knowing the size of the stone that may hit the car while you're driving. Common sense will tell you, however, that if the product produces a layer of ' 6 Mohs' strength/durability (72 on the hardness scale) it will be able to ward off anything
hitting it that is over 3 times the hardness of a steel nail. Does that mean any object at any speed can't
break through it ? Of course not. Should it be able to deflect (without damage to the car's surface) a good many sizes and weights of stones? The answer is yes.
Why don't you concern yourself with the
hardness of the clear film product compared to Crystal Guard and then decide which you think is stronger at warding off stones?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,744 Posts
A normal bra isn't hard, but it can still ward off stones. I don't think hardness is the only thing that is important in chip protection.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,269 Posts
Mohs hardness is directly applicable to
how a surface resists damage. Ex: A diamond is a '10' and nothing, other than another diamond can even scratch the surface. Rubies and sapphires are rated
a '9' and are only able to be scratched by
a diamond. Crystal Guard is at or near a
'6' and no other 'wax-like' applied coating
even comes close to it for being able to
ward off damage from objects hitting it.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top