The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I have a body shop that is attempting to match the paint on a 1988 Anniversary model with the white pearl paint.
Is there a sticker somewhere on the car that gives a paint code for this pearl white paint?
Also anyone know what brand of paint was used by the factory in 1988?
--
Steve

·
Wingless Wonder
5,442 Posts
Hi Steve,

Look in section BE of the Service Notes for paint codes and numbers of the paint.

An '88 should have a data plate in the 'frunk', on the RH wheel arch. On that plate is the paint code (two codes, if it had contrasting lower valences, which the Commemorative cars did not have).

To save you some time, you should find code P02 on the data plate, 'Pearlescent White". The paint manufacturer's reference number is ICI brand P4217865. Don't forget that a clear coat should be applied on top.

Another thing to remember is that today's auto paints are water based, and OEM paint wasn't. So, hopefully you can match the panels if you aren't spraying the entire car. Good luck on that.

Don't forget to repaint the wheels, which always turned darker for some reason.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Surprised to hear that the body shop can't figure this out. Even with the paint codes they must know that they have to match old, faded paint unless they are doing the whole car. Any paint guy worth his pay should know what he is doing and not need to ask this kind of basic information. Carbuff is correct, don't figure on using the original brand or even type of paint. With the code any good paint company should be able to match up but the shop is going to have to darken it to make it match. the rest of the car. This is all in paint company databases now and they just mix to formulae. Paint has gotten so expensive they mix up pints, not gallons anymore (unless you are doing a whole car). Because of the age of the paint job you might want to ask what it will take to paint the whole car.
David Teitelbaum

·
Wingless Wonder
5,442 Posts
Surprised to hear that the body shop can't figure this out.
It was mentioned elsewhere recently that a UK owner couldn't get his bodyshop to match the lower Seal Gray A62 code despite having the ICI numbers. I know some colors are difficult (I remember @toomanyespritsguy having fits matching the newest Norfolk Mustard pearl finish).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Steven,

I'll be following this since I have the same car, and might have to have part of it repainted. I will have the wheels repainted as well, mine are more of a gold at this point due to darkening. Fortunately they aren't on the car.

Eric

Hello
I have a body shop that is attempting to match the paint on a 1988 Anniversary model with the white pearl paint.
Is there a sticker somewhere on the car that gives a paint code for this pearl white paint?
Also anyone know what brand of paint was used by the factory in 1988?
--
Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts