The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to order the car with black wheels but could not... I looked into powdercoating my stock wheels and they want 140-160 a wheel to do it here... So I figured I would just buy some prorace1.2's? maybe... The wife wants me to wait for now... I saw that someone painted their rota's bronze... How hard would it be for me to just paint them black/ how long will it last with "normal" driving?, no tracking... Since this is my only set, I do not want to mess them up...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There aren't too many places around here that I would trust with the job... (rural, GA). Anyone know of a good place maybe in Jacksonville (for the powdercoat)?

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
I know this sounds crazy...but I sanded mine....bought some semi flat flat black paint from AutoZone and sprayed mine myself...

Looks fine to me....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
If you want to ensure you get a good powder coating job, make sure they bead blast or sand blast the wheels prior to the paint (might cost extra$$, or get it blasted yourself). If they simply powder coat over the existing coating, it won't stick well.

·
Registered
495 Posts
FWIW~ I have some wheels on my race bike that were bead blasted and painted. Granted I get new tires every race weekend, but none the less, the paint just didn't hold up.

I had my wheels media blasted (which I would suggest) and powder coated two seasons ago and they are holding up perfectly.

I agree that you should be able to find a better price. For what they are asking locally, you could ship your rims and still end up paying less.

You might try calling a motorcycle shop and find out who they use.

·
Registered
22 Posts
With some mild work, painting the wheels black should not be tough. But, if you want it done right, a proper powdercoating shop should do it. Probably a good idea to get some referrals of a particular shop to see if their work is as good as their price.

·
Registered
192 Posts
High temp flat black and a clear coat did mine for $12.00. I need to touch up some but at speed they look awsome.(ssr's for daily use. I have the track tires on the lss wheels that I painted )
Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts