The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My starsheild was shredded down the sides of my car from tracking it once, auto xing once, and driving the dragon's tail 4 times (just over 3000 miles). I never really took it down bad roads but the front Yok A048's just kick a lot of debris down the side of the car. The cow crap that I spattered all down the sides didn't help either. Thanks to the farmer who had to take his cattle through the dragon's tail!

Luckily, Lamin-x made templates for this highly abused area. I'm friends with the owner and he stopped by tonight to remove the 8mil film on the side rockers and fenders to replace it with 12mil. I snapped a few pics for display. Of course, their are a few signs of moisture but they will disappear in a day or two. I left a small space heater on low next to the car so it should speed up the process a little. I haven't driven the car in over a week and I'm going crazy waiting.

If you don't have starshield I highly recommend you at least check out protecting this area. This stuff is considerably thicker than what was on it. The rest of my car has zero damage to the starshield so for a fraction of the price you might get away with this alone. Chris hasn't finalized a price but it should be below $200. It takes about 20 minutes per side to apply and looked like anyone with steady hands and a little patience could do it themselves.

I live 2 hours from my dealer and at the rate this stuff got damaged I don't want to have to take an entire day each time it gets damaged. At this rate I'd have to replace it 3-4 times per year.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone out.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If you look carefully you will see some excess film that gets trimmed off.

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Are front mud flaps available from Lotus for those of us that have the occasional gravel road to travel? I know this sounds wacked, but anything would be better than shredded starshield and/or pitted paint.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I am beginning to think that I need to learn how to apply these 3m tapes properly, as I may have to reapply them on a regular basis.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
AutoXr said:
Are front mud flaps available from Lotus for those of us that have the occasional gravel road to travel? I know this sounds wacked, but anything would be better than shredded starshield and/or pitted paint.
The car already comes with mini mud flaps already. I don't know how much a larger one would help, but it's safe to say that you cannot drive very fast on a gravel road if you want to save your starshield and paint.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Thanks for the info 2b. I have the same problem with mine (not much left of the starshield) and just e-mailed lamin-x to find a dealer in my area to change this trouble area for me.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I think part of the "problem" is the wider front tires of the sport pack. I think it extends further around the mini mud flaps. So, cars with out the sport pack should be better protected. And, also, it's possible that the softer tires pick up more stuff to throw at the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts