The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just finished a project where I painted the calipers on my Elise. I think it turned out great. Pictures are in the link below. I used Duplicolor caliper spray paint, yellow on the calipers, and black on the rotor center hubs and edges. I also used a Dykam high-temp black paint marker to paint the "Lotus" letters on the fronts. Sand blasted all of the parts before painting. While doing it, I replaced bleed screws, anti-rattle springs, and some rubber components on the rears that were damaged. I also put on stainless steel braided brake lines. Got all my parts from elise-shop.com.

I've done this same job on 2 other cars I've owned (both M3's), so this was my third time around. This technique is a lot of work, but the results are great.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qy7sDvkhRpBubuCo8

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Nicely done!

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Nice job, I have the same colour car and have been thinking of which colour I should paint my calipers, yours look good with the black wheel. Not to rain on your parade, but it's not a good idea the paint the clamping surfaces between the rotor hat and the wheel, make sure you keep an eye on the wheel torque.

>:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice job, I have the same colour car and have been thinking of which colour I should paint my calipers, yours look good with the black wheel. Not to rain on your parade, but it's not a good idea the paint the clamping surfaces between the rotor hat and the wheel, make sure you keep an eye on the wheel torque.

>:)
Thanks for the info. Did the same thing on 2 other cars without issue, but I will definitely keep an eye on that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nicely done, but this is just my opinion: I’m not a fan of yellow accents on a red car.
Yea, color choice is really a taste thing. I was skeptical about yellow at first, but was able to find pics of red cars with yellow calipers on Lotus Talk, so I knew what it was going to look like. With the yellow color in the Lotus badges on the wheels and hood, and the black wheels, I think it looks great.

Thanks!

·
Registered
548 Posts
I’ve had awesome results using custom kits from g2usa.com. They can match paint codes and have an easy sprayer add on for a reasonable price imo.

Here is my polar blue Elise and my wife’s cayenne s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Nice job!! Just used the G2 (brush on) system for my Ardent Red Elise. Prep is everything and if you do it without removing the calipers, completely cleaning them and taping off all the lines, etc makes it look so much better. A lot of work but turned out great. I also used a DYKEM high temp paint marker for the Lotus lettering on the front calipers.

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
So, I really like how you painted the bolts "black"! It makes it look more OEM rather than a quickie job. Nice work!

·
Registered
918 Posts
I was looking at the photos noticing the masked off rotors thinking "I hope he doesn't paint those hubs yellow..."
Nice work!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey guys, I just finished a project where I painted the calipers on my Elise. I think it turned out great. Pictures are in the link below. I used Duplicolor caliper spray paint, yellow on the calipers, and black on the rotor center hubs and edges. I also used a Dykam high-temp black paint marker to paint the "Lotus" letters on the fronts. Sand blasted all of the parts before painting. While doing it, I replaced bleed screws, anti-rattle springs, and some rubber components on the rears that were damaged. I also put on stainless steel braided brake lines. Got all my parts from elise-shop.com.

I've done this same job on 2 other cars I've owned (both M3's), so this was my third time around. This technique is a lot of work, but the results are great.

You sure did a highly detailed job and I think the results are super. On closer inspection of your attached photos I noticed you encountered the same issue I did after painting my rear calipers: My new EBC pads would not fit into the caliper without removing a small area of paint where the "ears" of the pads rest on the caliper housing. It looks like you chose to grind away part of the ears rather than compromise your paint job?
I'm still working on mine. (G2 brush on)

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts

You sure did a highly detailed job and I think the results are super. On closer inspection of your attached photos I noticed you encountered the same issue I did after painting my rear calipers: My new EBC pads would not fit into the caliper without removing a small area of paint where the "ears" of the pads rest on the caliper housing. It looks like you chose to grind away part of the ears rather than compromise your paint job?
i taped off that area so the pads could easily slide on the calipers there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Thank you! Yes, you are correct on the pad modification. The clearance must have been real tight. Once the paint was on there, the ears on the rear pads wouldn't fit. I ground off a small amount of the ears on the pads to give a good fit. I did it on the bottom ears so you can't see it.

For those who didn't catch it, you can see it in this photo:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PvE5cZ8Q1pL72ert6

1 - 20 of 21 Posts