The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
LOL! looks like something from a fire engine.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Jenn, you're on a roll today, perhaps we had a couple of starbucks jumbo latte's today.!

I know whatr it is, you're trying to get to the 1000 post mark!!!!!

Chris:D

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Looks fine to me, must be something else - check the tire pressures and the engine fluid levels....:p

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
No, no, NO! You have to paint the grease cap too!

If you don't, then it's not "integrated" and they'll spin at different rates. That's probably why you can't stop. The grease cap (without paint) is probably still trying to spin. Yeah, that's it. :rolleyes:

Bob :p

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hehe, isnt it amazing what people do to their poor cars?

The pic came from a thread on a VW forum. The guy honestly had no idea what was wrong.

·
Registered
65 Posts
There's actually nothing wrong with what he did. The paint will get rubbed off of the rotors and pads after very little use, and will protect the areas that aren't friction surfaces. Many folks have done this with no ill effects. OFM, was the "Can't stop, brakes smell funny, Did I do something wrong?" comment your humorous interjection, or did the person who posted the picture actually say that? I've never heard of anyone having any braking troubles after painting their rotor and caliper like that.

-Winston

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Vorpal said:
There's actually nothing wrong with what he did. The paint will get rubbed off of the rotors and pads after very little use, and will protect the areas that aren't friction surfaces. Many folks have done this with no ill effects. OFM, was the "Can't stop, brakes smell funny, Did I do something wrong?" comment your humorous interjection, or did the person who posted the picture actually say that? I've never heard of anyone having any braking troubles after painting their rotor and caliper like that.

-Winston
I almost said something to the same end. I doubt that there would be a problem at all aside from the odor of burning paint for the first couple of decent heat cycles.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Vorpal said:

-Winston
Nope, it was cut and pasted from the person who did the deed supposedly verbatim. I passed it along second hand, much like most things like this from the net". It was posted on another forum so who knows.

Ive never been one for spraypainting my dust sheilds and calipers. :)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
While it's technically possible to do this and still end-up with a functional braking system, I think we can all agree it's an incredibly in-elegant way of doing it. Why not take the extra 5 minutes to remove the caliper?

I compare it to a Earl Scheib paint job. Technically, it covers the car and gives it the same uniform color everywhere. (And I DO mean EVERYWHERE!) But if you did it right to begin with, it'll look better and probably last longer. The same can be said about that caliper, rotor and (ahem!) dust shield!

Bob

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I think this person needs to add some neon lights under the fenders to high light the very cool paint job! Man oh man what people will do to their cars.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Now THAT is phooking awesome.

OTOH, has political correctness gone astray here as well? How on earth could you defend the azzclown who executed such a feat?

·
Registered
65 Posts
frayed said:
OTOH, has political correctness gone astray here as well? How on earth could you defend the azzclown who executed such a feat?
I never said that it looked good :p Just that I've seen plenty of people do it with no ill effects. Who knows what kind of paint this guy used, though, because apparently it really has affected his braking. Methinks that his brakes probably aren't 100% in the first place...

-Winston

1 - 16 of 16 Posts