The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 108 Posts

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
>>>Stan, your tunnel turned out great. I know you mentioned you didn't want to spend a lot of prep time before painting. What do you think the results would be if some time was spent sanding the texture off and making it perfectly smooth. Wondering how difficult this would be to do and still keep it uniform. <<<

That would be straightforward to do..basically sand and use primer/surfacer and sand and sand. That would be hard to maintain though as the high gloss would show prints and so forth. Or you could do it via a light sanding, then paint and many coats of clear which then get sanded to perfection. I wanted upkeep to be easy. The finish is smoother than stock but rougher than body paint. I guess the layers filled the surface a bit. It makes a big change in the look of the car for next to no money. The type of finish you are suggesting would take many, many times the effort I made here. After some more time I'll wax the thing.

>>The other thing, how many coats did you put on? <<

I did two thin coats of Bulldog adhesion promoter (since the console is plastic) followed by four light coats of yellow followed by two final coats of clear. It's better to do light coats as they are forgiving for non-paint people such as myself. HTH.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
>>>Stan any new word on the rear view mirror. Are they gonna make them available with the changes? What about pricing?<<<

I might just do that.....I'd have to buy and modify a batch....offer a day/night feature for those who must retain that...and sell them at a great price. I dropped this project when I got peeved in a thread that I had Randy remove. It's only worth it if it's fun. I'll post a thread if/when things are a go. The mirrors look good in satin aluminum....blackened....or paintmatched like the console.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I want to see the tire gauge. I'm a few months from my car but I'm looking for an excuse to buy a bomb can of paint and start making things Lotus colored.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Stan said:
>>>Stan any new word on the rear view mirror. Are they gonna make them available with the changes? What about pricing?<<<

I might just do that.....I'd have to buy and modify a batch....offer a day/night feature for those who must retain that...and sell them at a great price. I dropped this project when I got peeved in a thread that I had Randy remove. It's only worth it if it's fun. I'll post a thread if/when things are a go. The mirrors look good in satin aluminum....blackened....or paintmatched like the console.
Excellent! Put me down for one Ill take it for sure...maybe in SY :D

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Here's the world's first Saffron Yellow tire pressure gage....not yet cleaned up from the painting.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Now I just need to convince my wife that I need a couple of cans of paint to match a car I don't have.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Stan said:

....offer a day/night feature for those who must retain that...
Ooooooh! Me first, me first! :D

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
In a nut shell this is how you remove the console.

* Remove the one screw holding the black cup thing out back between the seats. Remove the item.

* Then remove the two screws holding in the gray piece that lives between the cup and the console. The screws are down in the part near where the first screw you removed came from. The lighter unplugs with goof-proof connectors and there is enough wire slack to do this easily. Now you can remove this part, the second. All of the plugs are one way, no need to write anything down or remember wire colors or whatever, no adjustments.

* Unscrew the 6-point screw on either side of the console near the front of it. An allen wrench will work in a pinch if you don't have a torx set. So that is two screws to remove up front - the shiny silver ones you may have already noticed.

* Yank the hand-brake handle up really high and hard. Raise the front of the cover and jostle the rear.

* When you have enough room, you can disconnect the Hazard light and Lock Switches.

* The Hazard Light Switch has a plug-ended cable leading to it...if you grasp the plug and squeeze the release-tongue that is on its LHS it can be removed.

* The Lock Switch has a lead coming from it that is about 6 inches long. At the end of that is the plug and socket to disconnect. I can't recall if there is a lock, most likely there is but it's duck soup.

* Now the main console piece has only the shifter and hand-brake retaining it. EDIT: Remove the E-brake handle. It's retained by two allen bolts on it's bottom surface.

* Lift the console and get the shift boot to go upward...the portion that stays on the shift lever is retained by a zip-tie which you cut off. The boot can now be slowly slid off of the shifter. The base of the boot is still clipped onto the console. The console will come off when raised upward if you have the e-brake pulled hard enough so that it's lever is as high as possible. If the e-brake is off, you can't get the console cover off.

* The lighter, hazard and lock switch units all can be popped out of the console pieces in which they reside by squeezing their spring loaded elements which are located along their sides. They can go in only one way, nothing to remember or mark. All of them come out toward the outside.

* Make sure your car is on level ground when you are doing this project as the car will tend to start rolling with the e-brake on and off and shift lever moving as you go through the process. I discovered this as I was rolling along!

* Reassembly is straightforward and you will need another tiewrap to retain the shift boot on the shift lever in it's designated collar area. The boot may need to be repositioned a bit.

* The boot is attached to a lip around the hole in the console cover be a series of 6 push on spring clips that are u-shaped. They are not hard to remove and replace with the console out. Eventually when Lotus comes out with the alloy shifter gate for our cars, I'd imagine that a similar retention method will be used. The boot perimeter only goes on one way and the scratches in the console rim (hidden from the outside) indicate where they go so there is again no need to keep track of this detail.

Let me know if you have some questions...it's really not that hard to do, and I didn't scratch or damage anything when I did it. Remember that I did this from scratch with no pictures or manual so I had to figure this stuff out as I went along. While you're in there it would make sense to make sure everything seems proper with the hand-brake and shifter, that everything is clean and lubed and so forth. I repositioned the sockets at the end of the shift cables so they had no residual twist holding them to one side, and I reswaged the upper ball joint that the cable fits onto as it was loose on my sample. It would be one of those things that snap off in a couple years or so.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Thanks. I thought it made little sense for me to discover what you had already done.

Apologies for copying you... but I like that Saffron Yellow painted interior look. :)

I already replaced my Makita tools with Dewalts. :)

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Stan,
YOu didn't have to remove the handbrake handle? The Brits on seloc suggested this might be necessary, it's held in place by two allen screws.

I assume you did take the shift knob off?
Thanks for all your great tips!
CHris
soon to have an ardent red center tunnel!

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
>>YOu didn't have to remove the handbrake handle? The Brits on seloc suggested this might be necessary, it's held in place by two allen screws. <<<

I sure did remove it, you need to! I editted the direction post accordingly, thanks.

>>>I assume you did take the shift knob off? Thanks for all your great tips! CHris soon to have an ardent red center tunnel!<<<

No I left the shift knob on. At first I tried to get it loose but it wasn't budging with bare hands. It turns out that you can leave it in place as the boot can slide over it, although it's pretty snug.

I think you might need to use a soft jawed plier or similar to get the shift knob off. BMWs are just pressed on in many cases. So you pull straight up really hard... When the knob suddenly comes loose, your hand and the knob shoot toward the ceiling of the car at warp factor 2. Ouch!

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Here's an idea I"m kicking around. As you guys know, I painted my gray plastic carpet hold down things (screws?) krinkle black. I'm thinking of doing my center tunnel the same finish, the texture would kind of go with the dash and sills. Car has tan seats, door panels and black carpet.
Thoughts?

Chris

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Here's an idea I"m kicking around. As you guys know, I painted my gray plastic carpet hold down things (screws?) krinkle black. I'm thinking of doing my center tunnel the same finish, the texture would kind of go with the dash and sills. Car has tan seats, door panels and black carpet.
Thoughts?

Chris
NO WAY! The Red would way better and have a much more wow factor. The black will hide it while the red will celebrate it.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Well if you really want to be different...make a new cover. There is a *ton* of empty space in there. Maybe make a minimal small console...or one that can hold gages or something. Since it's a cable shifter and cable hand brake..the thing can be raised for example. By using a shorter shift lever you could get a short shift action...you'd need to reposition the reverse lockout though. Some of the early Elises used black consoles so there should be some good pictures to check out to get an idea of the look to confirm it's the way you want to go.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I think the black could look very good. Painting that piece to match the body color is pretty, but somewhat flashy. Black would blend in very nicely with the rest of the interior.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
MattG said:
I think the black could look very good. Painting that piece to match the body color is pretty, but somewhat flashy. Black would blend in very nicely with the rest of the interior.
LOL, Flashy??? I think we lost that battle when we bought the car.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Miguel said:
And if you really want to be different, make yourself a clear plastic one:

http://www.polytek.com/html/poly-optic.html
That's actually a rather intruiging idea, tho I'd need to take another look at the photo of the innards, to see if they're worth seeing.

The Lambo I saw at Criswell a couple of week ago had an optional clear glass cover over the engine. Very cool, but at a cost of several thousand dollars, hardly worth it.

21 - 40 of 108 Posts