The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 60 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I think I'm going to do the wrinkle finish black, if it looks really bad when I post pics I'm sure someone on etalk will point it out to me;)

Worse case is it looks really crappy, I'll just order a replacement.
CHris

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Actually Zvez..don't worry at all...cuz you can always change your mind and repaint. So go for it! I think the wrinkle paint would look quite nice. Dunno what paint you are using, but some wrinkles look their best when they get some heat during the curing to help maximize the wrinkle effect. If that is the case for your paint...then maybe a heat lamp would help out and allow the plastic to survive without issue.

·
Registered
687 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
I think I'm going to do the wrinkle finish black, if it looks really bad when I post pics I'm sure someone on etalk will point it out to me;)

Worse case is it looks really crappy, I'll just order a replacement.
CHris
Or just get a can of paint thinner.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Has anyone taken a photo of what the shift linkage and such looks like without the cover? It would be intriguing to me to expose the linkage if the mechanical design looks as nice as some of the other functional parts of the car.

John

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Thanks Randy! I overlooked that thread. Unfortunately, the linkage doesn't look good enough to expose. Oh well, it was a thought.

John

·
Supporting Vendor
4,415 Posts
Stan said:
>>>I assume you did take the shift knob off? <<<

No I left the shift knob on. At first I tried to get it loose but it wasn't budging with bare hands.
The shift knob unscrews fairly easily. No need for tools. I used may hand to do it.

The console looks great. Thx for the instructions.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
>>>The shift knob unscrews fairly easily. <<<

Maybe if you have a grip like the Terminator! I guess mine must be on pretty tight. Or someone has developed killer forearm muscle somehow or another...

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Shinoo is huge.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Stan said:
>>>The shift knob unscrews fairly easily. <<<

Maybe if you have a grip like the Terminator! I guess mine must be on pretty tight. Or someone has developed killer forearms muscle somehow or another...
Maybe it was turned just a tiny bit extra so that the engraved pattern would align.

If you want to build your forearm muscles, just keep turning the Elise's non-powered steering wheel without pressing the accelerator. :)

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
black look great also! matches well with the rest of the black interior.

Stan

do you have a pic of your tunnel painted and installed back into your car?

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
shay2nak said:
black look great also! matches well with the rest of the black interior.

Stan

do you have a pic of your tunnel painted and installed back into your car?
Look at the bottom of page 1 on this thread :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Stan- looks great. Nice contrast with the biscuit. I have the same Ardent/Biscuit combo. Anyone doing an Ardent tunnel with the biscuit? I think that would also look sharp given the Ardent door tops inside the car.

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
Miguel said:
Look at the bottom of page 1 on this thread :)
wow! that looks great!

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Stan, thanks for the instruction and inspiration. Mine gets painted tomorrow. I think I will have him also paint two of my helmets. Maybe some tools. Maybe the cat.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)
Don't forget your tire gage, or a tool or two Randy. I have a red powder coated wrench I did as a goof and it has held up well and is very easy to find.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Stan, your directions were great. It was a little difficult reaching up to disconnet the hazard switch connector (small tab to press). And snipping the tie wrap was not easy, but doable. I am impressed you pioneered this.

Everything else was easy.. except I can't get the lighter socket out. Not sure what needs to happen to remove it.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Randy,
At the top and bottom you've got to slides that are part of the green housing, I place a screwdriver and tapped LIGHTLY one side at a time, popped right out.

FYI< I pulled my tunnel again, sucked it up and shipped it off to Mark Starr to have it done body color, he says the finish will be as good as the paintwork on the car. I think they plan to do several.
Chris

41 - 60 of 108 Posts