The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Illegal Alien
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Decided to give my Evora engine a touch of color. While the new Exige’s V6 shows off the supercharged in black the Evora S coves it with a crappy cover with a small port hole. I had planned to pull off the cover but until I can get the partial head covers from the new Exige I would be left with Toyota disarray for an engine view.

Finally settled on a traditional approach of using Red Wrinkle paint on the SC just as Lotus used to paint their valve covers. Additionally the peek of red through the cover will accent the other red trim on the GP Edition.

Process:
1. Wash clean raw aluminum SC
2. Apply degreasing dewaxing Prep Spray (VHT SP44), srub and reapply
3. Apply Self Etching Primer (Rust-oleum 249322), 2 coats let dry 30 min.
4. Apply HT Wrinkle Paint (VHT SP204 Red Wrinkle), 3 coats 5 min between
5. Dry 2 hrs, run car to heat up (prep says bake at 200F for 2 hrs)
6. Let sit 48 hrs

Attachments

·
Illegal Alien
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Views finished under cover, through cover and through hatch glass.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Cool, I've had really good results with crackle finish when I use a heat gun to sort of force the drying. The texture of the crackle comes out finer and looks more OE. If left to dry on it's own, the texture can be less consistent and the wrinkles will be larger and less fine which looks home made.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
very cool.. I didn't know this can be done right on the vehicle. Do you suppose I can do this with brakes calipers? I want to paint mine yellow.

·
Illegal Alien
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Illegal Alien
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Julian - I just saw your car today this afternoon while I was at BOE.

I thought that your paint job came from the factory - Andrew corrected me.

Awesome job!
Thanks, but I dont think the factory paint jobs are that bad. While I tried for the (old) factory look - Lotus Twin Cam covers along with pulling the red highlights from outside and interior into the engine bay. I had some problems with overspary on hoses and a few missed spots in corners. The crackle paint does not respond to touch up.

Attachments

·
Illegal Alien
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
very cool.. I didn't know this can be done right on the vehicle. Do you suppose I can do this with brakes calipers? I want to paint mine yellow.
Late to answer but my own view. I had a set of calipers power coated for my RX-7, they were undergoing a complete teardown anyways, so the heat was not going to be a problem. On my other Rx-7 I had a new set that I didnt want to tear down or risk the heat and electric current wrecking seals so I sprayed them with VHT Brake Caliper paint. They looked just as good and are actually lasting better than the PC.

I would not use this crackle paint as it will not withstand the temps of a brake system.

·
Illegal Alien
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Final configuration with MY12 Exige S cover and plate in place:

Attachments

·
Registered
604 Posts
The red on the SC looks great, but just curious why you did not remove it first?
Talked in another thread, he thought it required draining coolant and other stuff, but in reality it is simple. If you take it off with the inlet manifold all you do is disconnect all the lines, turn the belt tensioner to slide the belt off the pulley, remove the injector plugs, then take a few bolts out. I will be doing this over the summer (in the US) and polishing the supercharger.

·
Illegal Alien
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I also had a warranty to consider and why complicate something that is simple.

Reactions: James33
1 - 15 of 15 Posts