The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
instead of reviving age old threads on what kind of trim products people have used in the past to (temporarily) bring the plastic grills and stuff back from grey to black....

i'm thinking of picking up a can of plasti-dip flat black. tonight. and painting tonight. any reason i should be wary?

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Do it right. SEM rattle can 'color coat'. Satin black or
Landau black. Stuff is awesome and cheap

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that stuff looks nice. i like the fact that the plasti-dip can be peeled off later, if it sucks really hard for some reason.

what really struck me was how no one had though to do it that way before. maybe an issue with it reacting with the paint, or something? either way, in my head it looks awesome. i plan to post pics unless someone gives me a really good reason not to go this route.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
My MINI friends use "back to black" and it seems to work pretty well. It's not a one and done thing though, need to re-apply every few car washes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that's exactly why i'm looking to go another route. i've used a few different trim restoration products, and they are all temporary, and some leave funky semi-permanent streaks.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
When painting plastic trim parts its not the same as clear coated body panels. My fear with Plasticdip is the porosity of the plastic. Not sure if it will seperate from base material like it does from clear coated base.

The SEM products are amazing and have good supporting material (cleaners , primers etc) especially for plastic. I stripped and painted my Viper dashboard and it turned out great. I suggest you go to Auto Body Supply Store (not Pepboys) and get their advise on how to best paint them. I will bet they will refer you to the SEM products as that is what the pros use

let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm not sure how long it would take to recoup the time, but it would probably be on the scale of years.

Ex Mothers takes a rag and 5-10 mins every few washes. It's not like waxing, you just slop some over anything black and you're done. If you miss the trim no biggy :)

Painting is all about the prep work. So if you want to do it well you're going to have to pull the parts out rather than mask. That's going to set you back a few hours. Honestly masking might be more of a PITA than removing the parts! Then it's just a question of how long until you need to redo it...

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm interested in painting them too as once it's done it's done for a LONG time. Please let us know how you got on with the painting. THANKS!!

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
I'm waiting for PlastiDip to come out with Carbon Fiber paint...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i painted all the plastic front to back. some was removed, some was taped off. looks great! the picture is a bit decieving. the before vents are/were more grey in real life, while the finished product is a bit more black. i just hope it stands up. seeing as the plasti dip hasn't come off of my wheels for months, i am optimistic. this is the only decent before/after pic i managed to get. i hope everyone likes my humorous BOB sign ("Safety 1st")

as promised:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I just bought plasti dip and am covering my wheels, and possibly the front splitter I picked up for $50. I'll let you know how it goes if I do it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
looking good still!! i was worried the heat from the engine would melt the paint on the vanes or that crap from the road would destroy the front end. but! all looks good so far. so looks like this may actually be.....THE PLASTIC SOLUTION. :sad:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Has anyone tried having them powder coated? Or will it not stick to plastic?
You have to bake the powder at high temp onto the surface you're coating (400F), so I doubt there would be much plastic left to reinstall :p

·
Registered
956 Posts
IMO Plasti-Dip is the ideal finish for the Elise anyways, it matches the semi-matte look of the stock plastic, including the windshield surround. It ties everything together.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Plasti Dip

I just bought plasti dip and am covering my wheels, and possibly the front splitter I picked up for $50. I'll let you know how it goes if I do it.
I've never seen Plasti Dip here in Australia? Does anyone have a link where I could buy it? THANKS GUYS! ED

·
Registered
100 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts