The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to keep on with these questions. I'll be there in a week or so so it should all stop (or get worse :) )

Im planning on bringing my UK PS2 with me and my Home cinema System. Im going to need to convert the signal from PAL to NTSC.

Anyone know where I can get a convertor from?

I've got the voltage convertor already.

Thanks

·
Registered
220 Posts
Looks like eBay is your best bet. Or an electronics store in the UK. Most places in the US stock stuff that just goes the other way, if they stock anything at all.

Edit: Oh, and happy birthday, [email protected]!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Andrew said:
Looks like eBay is your best bet. Or an electronics store in the UK. Most places in the US stock stuff that just goes the other way, if they stock anything at all.

Edit: Oh, and happy birthday, [email protected]!
Thanks :) Im hoping not to many people will notice!! Being 30 an all ;)

I have my PS2 chipped so it will play US, Jap and UK games. Just need to get a PAL to NTSC convertor.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have my PS2 chipped so it will play US, Jap and UK games. Just need to get a PAL to NTSC convertor.
I could be completely wrong here, but I thought that the PAL/NTSC thing was decided by the game, in software, and not in hardware.

If true, that would mean that chipped UK machines would output NTSC if they were playing "imported" US games. (and vice-versa) Note that PAL or NTSC is often times printed on the game disc itself. You'll still need a converter to play your old games, but not new ones you get here. I think. :)

Steve

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
Question... wouldn't you only need a PAL to NTSC converter for the RF output. Won't the analog (RCA) or S-video outputs work without a converter?

Kiyoshi

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Analog or S-Video is still PAL or NTSC.

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Analog or S-Video is still PAL or NTSC.
Of course... asked the question without using the thing on top of my shoulders - the number of lines and scan rate is the same from any output. DUH... thanks Randy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
slacy said:
I could be completely wrong here, but I thought that the PAL/NTSC thing was decided by the game, in software, and not in hardware.

If true, that would mean that chipped UK machines would output NTSC if they were playing "imported" US games. (and vice-versa) Note that PAL or NTSC is often times printed on the game disc itself. You'll still need a converter to play your old games, but not new ones you get here. I think. :)

Steve
I dont think that is the case. My current chipped PS2 plays US and Jap games on my PAL TV, thats one reason why people do the chipping thing.

mmm, could do with confirming this before i sell my current PS2!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts