The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On behalf of these two Lotus groups I'll be coordinating this event with the Audi Club. Basically this arrangement will allow both groups to share costs of the event. ACNA-NJ is a non-profit chapter of the Audi Car Club. All participants will be assigned based on their skill level not type of car.

I don't have time to coordinate a group dinner for the Lotus folks, but if someone wants to for Friday night that would be a good way of meeting other Lotus owners.

Audi Club NA - New Jersey Chapter
Friday Oct 23 - Sunday Oct 25

New Jersey Motorsports Park, Millville, NJ
Registration Opens: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:00A (Eastern time)

Join the NJ Chapter for the second season at NJ Motorsports Park in Millville, NJ. This is a two day driving school and safety seminar.

Edit: Friday's advanced day was cancelled.

Saturday, October 24 and Sunday, October 25 - General Driving School & Safety Seminar
Students will be seperated into three groups based on your driving experience. Every student will receive in-car instruction. Classroom sessions are required for all students.

Instructors will be assigned one or two students and will also recieve the same amount of time on track as students.

The event will be run on the 1.9 mile Northern Circuit, known as Lightning. This 10 corner circuit is fast and challenging; featuring some of the most interesting and dramatic corners and elevation changes in the park. The 20 acre paddock area has a 4 acre skid pad and autocross area, as well as concession areas, timing towers and school and drivers meeting room facilities.

Price:
* Driving School - $445

Save $50! - Register using code "FALL2009" at checkout to receive the discount!
* Driving School - $395

Instructors: Please log in and click through to see your special rates.

About ACNA:
One of the goals upon which the Audi Club North America was founded was the idea that driving skills can and should be improved with practice in a controlled environment. After all, how better to enjoy your car than to be confident that you really know how it will react in all situations? This event will be held at a racetrack due to ample space, no oncoming traffic, plenty of runoff room, and workers before each corner with flags to warn drivers of any upcoming danger. Despite being at a racetrack, the event is not competitive, is not timed, and most certainly is not racing.

Why Attend?
Lessons and skills learned at these events really do transfer to everyday driving, as numerous former students attest to all the time. Many prior students report avoiding accidents thanks to things they learned at these events. Many others report simply enjoying their daily commute more knowing more about themselves and their cars. There really is no better way to improve your skills.

What you will learn at a performance driving school:

* How to handle your car in a emergency situation
* Understanding of braking dynamics
* Increased confidence in the performance characteristics of your vehicle

Beginners will focus on classroom time and exercises prior to on-track lapping with an instructor in the car at all times. More experienced students will focus more on track learning, however every participant will be required to attend classroom sessions.

This is not a racing school, nor is it a competitive event. Anyone found timing laps will be removed from the event.

Students are required to be ACNA members to register. Cost is $44 for 1 year down to $36 for 3 years, and you do not need to own an Audi to join. Membership fees are used to fund insurance for these events and support non-track events for the club.
Sign-up here: Membership Application - Audi Club North America
Edit: We are working to get this requirement waived. You do not need to join ACNA before the event, so please come out to the event and hopefully we will have gotten this waived.

More information & registration will be available here in the next few weeks.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,327 Posts
Oh Boy! :nanner:

Fill in the blanks on cost as soon as you can.

Like, how much to join ACNA?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Added the ACNA membership costs:

Cost is $44 for 1 year down to $36 for 3 years, and you do not need to own an Audi to join. Membership fees are used to fund insurance for these events and support non-track events for the club.

Should have something soon on the costs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Please provide more information on the Friday event. How long are the sessions? How are the instructors choosen? Do you have to attend the in-classroom sessions?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Nova, you know I'm in. I will be there.

They did a great job at the last event I went to. Had a blast, even though the 2nd day had a little rain in it.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,327 Posts
HeeHee, try it again as a LINK or paste in the URL.

:cool:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Please provide more information on the Friday event. How long are the sessions? How are the instructors choosen? Do you have to attend the in-classroom sessions?
Friday event looks like it will be 30 minute sessions, and over 2.5 hours total time on track (obviously dependent on conditions, incidents, etc.)

Instructors for Friday will most likely be from Skip Barber or another professional company. We are also looking into having some professional race car drivers attend.

Instructors for Saturday / Sunday are those who have been certified through ACNA, BMW, or PCA. If you've instructed with another club or organization you can send us your instructing credentials. We'll need to verify that with the organization you've instructed with and once approve, may attend Sat. / Sun as an instructor. E-mail our Chief Instructor, Thomas at tbuttner<at>acna-nj.org.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,327 Posts
Bump

Any word on prices yet?

And how 'bout an actual link to the Audi Club membership page? :cool:

PS If you paid me, I too could be a Professional Race Driver. :bow: ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am very interested in going to this - it will be the first time I have got my current car out on the track. It is light years ahead of my earlier owned versions in performance so it will be good to explore things in a safe way.

This might be a dumb question but - do drivers of open top cars (e.g. Caterham) need approved/in-date helmets and arm restraints? I just checked and my arm restraints are out of date (although the harness is good to next year).

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Atwell - Pricing should be finalized by Friday. Still waiting to hear back from Skip Barber.

Mike - Helmets must be SA or M, 2000 or 2005 certified. Arm restraints are non-expiring for us since we're not racing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks Nova. I am glad you posted the helmet information there - mine does not comply. Looks like I am off to buy a new one - any recommendations of good suppliers in NJ gladly taken.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought my bell M4 from Stable Energies in Garfield.

Helmets-Stable Energies

They have a nice selection of helmets and race products in stock. I definitely wouldn't purchase a helmet without trying one on since everyone's heads are different.

Btw, was this yours?

If so, I was also at the Millford Drive.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi Nova - yep thats mine at the Milford drive although it now has new vanity plates on it "Lotus 7" and brake lights that consistently work.

Thanks for the recommendation. I am old school when it comes to race gear - I want to try before I buy.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Updated with prices. Registration will open on Monday. Hope to see a lot of Loti there!

If you've instructed with other clubs and wish to instruct, please send an e-mail with your experience to our chief instructor Thomas, at: tbuttner<at>acna-nj<dot>org (please correct <at> with "@", <dot> with ".". DON'T Register at the student price if you hope to instruct otherwise we will charge you the MotorsportReg.com fees. We're 501(c)(3) non-profit and can't afford them!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Back from Watkins and I can't wait to have some more track time in the Lotus. This is a great track for those who have always wanted to but just never actually pulled the trigger. It's on a weekend which is very nice.

2 Elises are registered, with at least one more on its way. How many Loti can we get?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts