The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As per title, I was just thinking about buying a weekend car because I am now working from home until the end of the year. That means I have more opportunity to drive my "weekend" car. Been looking at s2000, miata, porsche and decided why not go with something that is raw for this purpose. Hence, the LOTUS.

And oh! I don't intend to keep the car long. The company just told us to sit our arse at home until next year. I think I will sell the car within a year, to be honest.

Looking to get Either the Elise or the Evora. See you soon!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Good morning/ Good day/ Good evening guys,

What are your thoughts on these listings?

Supercharged Elise low miles

Supercharged Evora with some damages

I've sat in both Elise and Evora before. I do know that the Elise is like a go-kart inside. I felt "prouder" sitting in an Evora.

Thanks.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Welcome to the insanity. I've owned and driven an Elise, Esprit, Europa and Locost. Personally, I found the Elise to be a bit underpowered. Perhaps with the supercharger it would be better, but that's just me. I missed the kick in the butt from the Esprit Turbo. Also, the Elise, while it did out corner the Esprit, was a bit uncomfortable to drive on the street compared to the Esprit and even the Europa. I think I would go with the Evora, although I've never driven one, as people report them to be a more comfortable street car. However, if you want "raw," the supercharged Elise would be pretty "raw," if perhaps slower than a 460 HP Evora.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
93 Posts
Welcome! I have an Elise and think it is a lot of fun, and I’m not bothered by the noise or ride quality. The ride quality is a lot more smooth and seats more comfortable than I was expecting based on the various reviews I read - pretty subjective i guess.

That Elise has an aftermarket supercharger that is uncommon (as opposed to something like the BOE Rev 300/400 that you can easily get support on), so getting support with future issues is a consideration. Best of luck with your search!

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Good morning/ Good day/ Good evening guys,

What are your thoughts on these listings?

Supercharged Elise low miles

Supercharged Evora with some damages

I've sat in both Elise and Evora before. I do know that the Elise is like a go-kart inside. I felt "prouder" sitting in an Evora.

Thanks.
Both of those cars certainly have enough quirks that I would not buy either sight-unseen. Especially the Elise that has two blurry pictures and a non intercooled supercharger sitting right next to the headers (or at least I didn't see any mention of an intercooler). The Evora is also very high priced for an '11, so, unless it runs perfectly and is exactly what you want, the price is hard to justify. I have also found that for every bolt someone touches before you, odds of an issue go up unless you can really verify they did it right.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both of those cars certainly have enough quirks that I would not buy either sight-unseen. Especially the Elise that has two blurry pictures and a non intercooled supercharger sitting right next to the headers (or at least I didn't see any mention of an intercooler). The Evora is also very high priced for an '11, so, unless it runs perfectly and is exactly what you want, the price is hard to justify. I have also found that for every bolt someone touches before you, odds of an issue go up unless you can really verify they did it right.
Thanks for all the responses! Thumbs up to a great start in the Lotus community.

Would a high mileage >80k sub $30k a good candidate for a BOE Rev300 kit?

Also, regarding the Evora '11, what price range should it be?

I am very certain that I will like to have a supercharger knowing that I live in TX where all we have is flat straight lines flooded by big Hemi trucks.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Thanks for all the responses! Thumbs up to a great start in the Lotus community.

Would a high mileage >80k sub $30k a good candidate for a BOE Rev300 kit?

Also, regarding the Evora '11, what price range should it be?

I am very certain that I will like to have a supercharger knowing that I live in TX where all we have is flat straight lines flooded by big Hemi trucks.
I mean, if you blow up the motor just grab another for peanuts or then get a built motor made, haha. It also depends on how you drive. I'm always harping on how people spend crazy money for a car that CAN make 300hp only to short shift and never go faster than stock if they had wrung it out. People tend to feel like running up to 8,500rpm is unsympathetic, but I say do it as often as legally possible. Once the oil is warm ;) I am in the camp that says "if you want more power and torque, downshift and floor it". Only when that no longer is enough should you pay for more power.

Depending on miles, condition, etc, I would expect to pay around $40k for a nice '11 non-S, and a quick autotrader search confirms this. Not sure how much the "S" adds, especially with an aftermarket supercharger anyways. Seems like building off a non-S would get you to about the same car a lot cheaper.

That last point you made is also a good argument for Evora over Elige. The power to weight ratio of the Elige makes them surprisingly quick for a given hp, but weight is no longer an advantage once drag starts taking over. If you venture "to Mexico", the Evora will fair better.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I mean, if you blow up the motor just grab another for peanuts or then get a built motor made, haha. It also depends on how you drive. I'm always harping on how people spend crazy money for a car that CAN make 300hp only to short shift and never go faster than stock if they had wrung it out. People tend to feel like running up to 8,500rpm is unsympathetic, but I say do it as often as legally possible. Once the oil is warm ;) I am in the camp that says "if you want more power and torque, downshift and floor it". Only when that no longer is enough should you pay for more power.

Depending on miles, condition, etc, I would expect to pay around $40k for a nice '11 non-S, and a quick autotrader search confirms this. Not sure how much the "S" adds, especially with an aftermarket supercharger anyways. Seems like building off a non-S would get you to about the same car a lot cheaper.

That last point you made is also a good argument for Evora over Elige. The power to weight ratio of the Elige makes them surprisingly quick for a given hp, but weight is no longer an advantage once drag starts taking over. If you venture "to Mexico", the Evora will fair better.
Not sure I would like to go to Mexico during this pandemic. But yea, I do like the Elise for the spirited drive around the very minimal turns that I have. This is why my gut leads me towards the Evora with more of the "60-80 mph" go.

I really don't feel like spending the pandemic time by building the car to be honest, yet I don't want to inherit someone's problems (aftermarket).

Finally, you do have a good point about downshifting. I think we are so used to our "daily" cars that have more torque for traffic. These Lotus "engine" are tuned for high revs. To your point, just downshift the gear and off you go.

Decisions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts