The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you been with a Panoz? Just wanted to know what you guys think about these cars. I visited a dealership in Plano, TX a few days ago and learned a few interesting things. Things about the car maker and his father and Mr Shelby. Besides that, I found the Panoz to be an unique, exciting, and exotic, yet American car. Not as flashy as a Ferrari (There was a Corsa Modena there). In fact the car sort of reminds me of a Mazda Miata, but until you see the Panoz up close, you'll realize it's so much more. It is very well crafted, and it's a very light car too. I think there were three when I visited. The one that really stood out was a red one with 600hp. It was supercharged and had a mighty exhaust note. Sure, the car has an engine that sits in certain Mustangs, but it's tuned and it sits lavishly in carbon fibre. Prices start around $98K I believe, which isn't too bad. MMMMmmmmm carbon fibre, hand-crafted, power, exotic, unique. I like :bow:

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
I've toured their factory in Brassleton, GA. I came away not totally impressed. Sure, there is a lot of aluminum and carbon fiber throughout the car and it is hand assembled, but the passenger compartment (floorpan, firewall, windshield header and rear bulkhead) and drivetrain are straight out of a garden variety Mustang. The gauges and internal switchgear area also from the Mustang. The front and rear subframes are unique and made totally of aluminum and the trunk and body are made from a combination of aluminum and carbon fiber. But still, you're paying a pretty high premium just to drive something 'unique'. For my money, I'd rather get a plain-'ole C6 convertible. Better performance, better dealer network, much bigger aftermarket and a whole lot cheaper.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
If the Panoz appeals to you, take a look at the Qvale Mangusta. Hovey in San Antonio (www.hoveymotorcars.com) has several. Basically the same setup as the Panoz, but with a custom chassis instead of the Mustang platform. Even more history than the Panoz. Shorter than a Boxster, same power:weight ratio as the Elise. A few new ones are available at half the price of the Panoz (even less slightly used).

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
If you like Panoz, check out the AIV Roadster instead of the Esperante. They're supposed to be a blast :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
The Panoz Esperante did very well in a 3 way comparison against the Jag XKR and Porsche 996 cabriolet. (Car and Driver) Beat the Jag (XKR deemed too large and bulky) and was narrowly edged out by the 996 - C&D thought with a bit of refinement, the Panoz could have won overall.

The Qvale also uses a Ford 4.6L V8 if I'm not mistaken.

The Panoz to me is a lot better looking than the Qvale. Alas I think Marcello Gandini is past his prime.

I'm not too concerned about having Ford parts - some people seem to be driven crazy if the switches and buttons come from a cheaper car, but if they work, are reliable, and have a good feel, I personally don't care.

The one thing about the Panoz I can't stand is the center mounted instrument cluster. Every car that has this feature, I automatically reject. That's a personal preference I can't ignore - to me, it is dumb looking and a sign the manufacturer is too cheap to tool up for separate left and right hand versions.

DLY

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
etypeiii said:
The Qvale also uses a Ford 4.6L V8 if I'm not mistaken.
You're correct, the Qvale uses the SVT 320HP DOHC 4.6L engine, Tremec 5-speed transmission and Brembo brakes. The Rototop is very clever; hardtop, targa, full convertable and it all travels with you. I like the styling of both, but the Qvale is a little more controversial.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts