The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to think of some defenses to protect the Elise for the rare times I have to parallel park.

[For those that don't already know, the Elise to too low to be seen from a SUV/truck that is parallel parking in front of you. It will probably lead to a crunched front shell.]

Here are some defenses I've thought of:

1) Red flag that attached to the front grill that let's driver in front see where you are. Flag mounting could protrude 6 inches in front of the bumper.

2) Road chocks. I don't know if I spelled it correctly but these are basically 6 - 8 inch blocks that you leave in front or behind you when you paralllel park.

3) Chase cam? Randy, is the Chase cam a video system that mounts in dash? I figures using one of these will be great when or the insurance company needs to tracks down the license plate of the person who backs into the Elise. Randy, can you elaborate on the Chase cam, please?

Anyone have any other idea to protect the Elise when parallel parking. I don't usually street park, but it has happened occassionally....and once hit is all it takes.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have a camera that I have mounted in my car. The camera is hooked up via wireless ethernet that I can access through my iPaq or computer as long as the camera is connected to my network or the internet. I also have a computer that will take the recordings and store them until the car pulls into the driveway where they are automatically uploaded to my file server. The camera is triggered off of motion. I have written a program that will only start recording the images if certain areas have motion. The only problem is the power that is needed for the computer when the car is off. There are options out there.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Randy will probably explain this much better, but in my understanding, the Cone Cam is just a camera that outputs a video signal. I've had somebody else's in my car a couple of times, and we had a camcorder in a bag behind the passenger seat. The Cone Cam was attached to the hood (or wherever you want to put it) with a suction cup mount, and a cable was running from the Cone Cam to the camcorder in the car.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
While I'm not offering much help to the problem, I can say that, since '95, I've haven't owned a "normal sized" car - all of them have been very small with very low front ends & I've only been backed into once (well, backed over as the case may have been)... that was on my daily driver that is parked on the street almost every day. Most of the time the car in front of me is further forward that they need to be because they can't see the front of the car.

I can understand the paranoia of parallel parking, but I don't think it's worth a whole hell of a lot of effort.

... but uhh.. yeah, maybe the things boats use to keep them from rubbing up against the dock. ;)

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know, if there was room in the Elise for a 200 lb Pit Bull and 50-75 feet of chain, this wouldn't be an issue. ;)

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
The pic almost looks like that the Espirit rear ended the camery and wedged under.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts