The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally placed my order in November 2002 where I was told I was #28.

Went in a few months back and wanted to know exactly where I was on the list - apparently it takes 3 guys in a closed room 10 minutes to tell you you're #30 now.

Just got back from the dealership because I didn't have it in writing (god forbid I put trust in the people I was working with). Well another 5-10 minutes in a closed room and I am now #39.

My brother placed an order 2 months after I did. He was originally told "mid 30's" and then #40. Today they are telling him #46.

If you have an order with them, lets put together a list of what number you are quoted, if you have it in writing, and when you put down your deposit. Oh, and those who have moved to Tonkin in Portland...

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have my #33 in writing from Valenti Lotus, CT, but am only referred to as Customer #5268 at Symbolic, Beverly Hills, CA.

Too bad about Park Place and Symbolic. Hopefully not the first of a few other dealerships.

I placed the Symbolic deposit November 5, 2003 and the Valenti on January 9, 2004. Valenti 1K above msrp, but well worth the designated #33, imo.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Prolene said:
Valenti 1K above msrp, but well worth the designated #33, imo.
Paying $1000 extra to buy a car from a dealer on the east coast isn't my idea of a good tradeoff, but if you are satisfied that you did the right thing that's what counts.

Unfortunately, we did not know before, nor are we certain now, how each dealer will behave, so it was something of a crap shoot in deciding where to place a deposit. However, hindsight is 20:20, so I regret not following my instincts and placing more than one deposit.

I still think that this will work out without killing us, but it's not very encouraging to see how things are going with Symbolic.

Perhaps not everyone is locked into a color selection and the Symbolic approach will work out for more people than we think?

Trying desperately to think of a positive spin for this. So how about this idea: if Symbolic ordered 10 different colors, at least those of us around here might be able to view nearly all of the color choices in person when they arrive in the first batch.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Why pay 1K extra plus another 1K extra to ship the car back plus the extra troubles with DMW to register a new out-of-state car? If one want to pay markup, there are other options.

Furthermore, does the Ct dealer pay by the number of postivie posts?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
jml1952 said:
Paying $1000 extra to buy a car from a dealer on the east coast isn't my idea of a good tradeoff, but if you are satisfied that you did the right thing that's what counts.

Unfortunately, we did not know before, nor are we certain now, how each dealer will behave, so it was something of a crap shoot in deciding where to place a deposit. However, hindsight is 20:20, so I regret not following my instincts and placing more than one deposit.

I still think that this will work out without killing us, but it's not very encouraging to see how things are going with Symbolic.

Perhaps not everyone is locked into a color selection and the Symbolic approach will work out for more people than we think?

Trying desperately to think of a positive spin for this. So how about this idea: if Symbolic ordered 10 different colors, at least those of us around here might be able to view nearly all of the color choices in person when they arrive in the first batch.
there's a good chance that customers who have ordered at more than one dealer, be informed that only one will be honored. The Lotus main-office can very easily ask their computer to spit-out any 'dups'.
I'm sure the dealers will press them for this info. When I ordered, they took my drivers license number and my Social Security #. - ridgeman-

·
Registered
607 Posts
agent.5 said:
Why pay 1K extra plus another 1K extra to ship the car back plus the extra troubles with DMW to register a new out-of-state car? If one want to pay markup, there are other options.

Furthermore, does the Ct dealer pay by the number of postivie posts?
I am planning to make a nice trip with my son to pick up the Elise, and drive cross country; I hope the weather is nice. He was able to register a 1996 M3 from NJ last year. I don't know about the CT dealer pay situation... Might be nice if they did? :)

Ridge, I have noted a at least one couple (maybe they did as two different people) are planning to get more than one Elise. Lotus should not arbitrarily spit out same SS based orders, imo.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Ridgemanron said:
there's a good chance that customers who have ordered at more than one dealer, be informed that only one will be honored. The Lotus main-office can very easily ask their computer to spit-out any 'dups'.
I'm sure the dealers will press them for this info. When I ordered, they took my drivers license number and my Social Security #. - ridgeman-

you saying lotus would not let someone buy 2 cars?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
LotusLust said:
you saying lotus would not let someone buy 2 cars?
It gives the dealer an easy out when he can say 'honestly' that one-person one-car for the initial (limited supply). I
don't see where this would affect a couple that both ordered a car.....but then again, who knows? there had to be a reason they wanted my SS# and drivers license #.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't know how Lotus would BEGIN to manage a process of eliminating duplicate deposits. (Also, in response to posts above, my dealer doesn't have either my DL # or my SS #- they do have my name, address, and phone # though, which are probably just as useful)

Lotus is careful to point out on their official site(s) that they do not control the dealerships, and any deposit or purchase agreement is between the customer and the dealer, and not with Lotus. They (Lotus) may end up have a process to encourage dealers not to sell more than one car to a single person, but I can't see how they would actually monitor or be able to enforce this, especially if the duplicate purchases were spread across multiple dealers.

-Knute

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Ouch... I'd never give anyone my SS #

Ridgemanron... I personally would never give anyone my social security number unless I'm financing at the dealership. I don't know why your dealership would have collected yours... but I would make sure they didn't run an inquiry on your credit to make sure you're a "capable buyer." (I'm almost certain that they didn't because it's illegal to run a credit report without your signature on a credit applicaiton. At least, it's illegal in California...)

Bob K.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Knute said:
I don't know how Lotus would BEGIN to manage a process of eliminating duplicate deposits. (Also, in response to posts above, my dealer doesn't have either my DL # or my SS #- they do have my name, address, and phone # though, which are probably just as useful)

Lotus is careful to point out on their official site(s) that they do not control the dealerships, and any deposit or purchase agreement is between the customer and the dealer, and not with Lotus. They (Lotus) may end up have a process to encourage dealers not to sell more than one car to a single person, but I can't see how they would actually monitor or be able to enforce this, especially if the duplicate purchases were spread across multiple dealers.

-Knute
do you have a signed p.o. from the dealer? on mine it is pre-printed into the body of the document, leaving spaces for up to two SS#'s, as well as two pre-printed spaces for drivers license numbers. it is a state approved 'Purchase order For Motor Vehicle' form. what did they confirm all your info on, a dealer note pad?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Knute said:

-Knute
- Getting the info I mentioned is the easiest thing in the world to do. My brother works for IBM and says they could do it easily and
will if dealers/customers of theirs were concerned about people trying to lock up their supply. Imagine if some rich
sob ordered cars at every dealership
under his name, to profit handsomely
from the exercise. I don't see where dealers and Lotus Ltd would like that very much.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You love to argue, Ridge... :rolleyes:

My order deposit is written up on a "Motor Vehicle Contract of Sale", and does not have blanks for SSN or DL #, neither of which are legally required to purchase a car. At the very bottom of the form is the notation: "approved independent dealers solutions form 104-3 rev 4-03 to reorder call 1-800-324-7009"

And yes, I have it in writing that my pricing is "M.S.R.P. at time of delivery".

Whether your brother works for IBM or whether Lotus chooses to hire private investigators or whether the moon is made of green cheese, if they don't even have spare resources to fix the color selection webpages on the U.S. Lotus website, do you really think they are going to devote staff to sorting out who has duplicate deposits or buys multiple cars?

A dealer may very well sell more than one car to a single person if they think it's good for the dealership. Lotus will no doubt choose their allocation scheme on the basis of what is best for Lotus.

You would love it if Lotus sent more cars to Valenti, and I understand why. The reality of the situation is that we will all have to wait and see what happens- who really knows?

-Knute

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Knute said:
You love to argue, Ridge... :rolleyes:

My order deposit is written up on a "Motor Vehicle Contract of Sale", and does not have blanks for SSN or DL #, neither of which are legally required to purchase a car. At the very bottom of the form is the notation: "approved independent dealers solutions form 104-3 rev 4-03 to reorder call 1-800-324-7009"

And yes, I have it in writing that my pricing is "M.S.R.P. at time of delivery".

Whether your brother works for IBM or whether Lotus chooses to hire private investigators or whether the moon is made of green cheese, if they don't even have spare resources to fix the color selection webpages on the U.S. Lotus website, do you really think they are going to devote staff to sorting out who has duplicate deposits or buys multiple cars?

A dealer may very well sell more than one car to a single person if they think it's good for the dealership. Lotus will no doubt choose their allocation scheme on the basis of what is best for Lotus.

You would love it if Lotus sent more cars to Valenti, and I understand why. The reality of the situation is that we will all have to wait and see what happens- who really knows?

-Knute
whatever your smoking, send me some. Maybe then I can get that 'California, we're the chosen people' feeling. for a bankrupt state, I wouldn't brag too much.

·
Registered
84 Posts
????

You're jumping to some very odd, non-sequitor conclusions.

Two things:

1) my order is not with a California dealership

2) I do not plan to respond to any more of your posts

-Knute

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Knute said:
????

You're jumping to some very odd, non-sequitor conclusions.

Two things:

1) my order is not with a California dealership

2) I do not plan to respond to any more of your posts

-Knute
I hope this doesn't mean I won't be getting any tickets to
Notre Dame football games, Knute. I
thought we'd be able to bond there.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Park Place seem to be pretty flexible with their numbers. When I called last spring they said I'd be around 59 or 60, when I finally put down a deposit in November he said I'd be in the late 60s or early 70s. The BS flag flew pretty high right then. I didn't get a number when I put down my deposit because he said there were a couple deposits from that day and the day before he had to add to list as it was the weekend they had the Elise in the showroom.

Frankly, I don't really care. If a dealer tries to screw me, I walk. I specifically waited so my number wouldn't come up until early spring of '05 - I asked him that repeatedly - and if it doesn't come at the right time and I decide I don't want to move it to spring '06, I walk. It's just a car, after all. If things don't work out, I'll buy something less expensive for now and wait 'til whenever I get around to moving to Europe and get an Elise I'd prefer more anyway.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well my thread got a little bit hijacked their - no big deal....Back on subject, I should have expected this with all the similar dealer crap that we are all hearing about. Sucks when it happens to you though. Wishful thinking that they would be different. I guess it is my fault for not demanding it in writing initially.

Very peculiar that I dropped exactly 9 spots right after they had to make their initial order....I suspect they are doing the same thing as Symbolic and ordering the first 9-10 with their own specs and selling them to the highest bidder.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
It would be interesting to compare what is on the paperwork received from various dealers when people left their deposits....Mine is from another CT dealer (HRM) and says the following:

deposit is fully refundable
contract non-transferable
contract for vehicle at MSRP
waiting list # specified in writing

I was not asked for SS #

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
ivan1 said:
It would be interesting to compare what is on the paperwork received from various dealers when people left their deposits....Mine is from another CT dealer (HRM) and says the following:

deposit is fully refundable
contract non-transferable
contract for vehicle at MSRP
waiting list # specified in writing

I was not asked for SS #
'contract was non-transferable'. Now that is something my p.o. doesn't even contain.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts