The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Demo for Rental

I called Park Place yesterday. According to salesman Tim (didn't catch his last name), they're planning to put the demo into their rental fleet, not making it available for test drives.

He may have been lying to make me go away. Or not.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Re: Demo for Rental

kbob said:
I called Park Place yesterday. According to salesman Tim (didn't catch his last name), they're planning to put the demo into their rental fleet, not making it available for test drives.

if true, that is complete BS!...then its not a demo then if they wont allow test drives...PP has questional practices if this is true.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
One of our early orders from '99 did cancel (Crazy nut- only waited four years) and it is likely to go to our Rental Company - (So many people can experience an Elise for the weekend) but that car won't be here for a while.
Posted by "EliseConnection" (salesman at Park Place) on 7/07.

The owner of Park Place told me that the 1st car was going to be a demo and the second was going to the Rental division. When I posted that info "EliseConnection" disputed it. Guess we wait and see!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Out of curiosity, where is Park Place? I wouldn't worry too much about it. Soon there will be enough Elises in the country and the dealers will just be happy to have buyers. This positioning for the first few cars only last a few months. Then it goes to a normal sales cycle. So if you aren't in the top 5-10 in a normal size dealer, it doesn't effect you much. I can say that because I'm pretty high up on the list. And I'll disclose that the dealer I've got my deposit with is as straight as you can get. But still even if they were doing this stuff for the first few cars, it wouldn't bother me or even effect me.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
They are in Bellevue, WA. They are pretty cool guys over there. I am sure they will have a demo for us to drive shortly!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Donovan said:
Are you a current deposit holder?
No. I want to see and sit in a car before I commit. (I know, that makes me a weirdo in this company...)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I guess the question didn't really matter. If you weren't a deposit holder he simply could have said, sorry, test drives are for deposit holders only. As far as I know their demo will be here on the 12th.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
kbob said:
No. I want to see and sit in a car before I commit. (I know, that makes me a weirdo in this company...)
Not necessarily. I saw one at the auto show in 2003 and sat in it, before I placed my deposit.

However, given the frenzy, you might want to place a deposit soon. It's not really much of a commitment as it's refundable.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Hi kbob, I agree with jml.

I too had to sit in one.. but get the deposit in and then work out sitting in it or driving it.

P.S. Just got back from Eugene last night, nice town.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Randy,
If I had known you were coming here to Eugene, I would have enjoyed meeting you and have invited you over for dinner. Thank you for all your work as moderator. If you ever come back this way, please let me know.
Chris Bolz
Eugene, OR
541-687-6353

·
Registered
72 Posts
What is this??? Don't you guys know us buy now? The first car is a DEMO not a rental car. The second car belongs to a very patient gentleman here in Washington. Gee Wizz guys just call me, don't flame us. I am happy to talk to anyone of you.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I don't have a deposit with Park Place, but I've got to agree with them on this. We've got a lot of "flaming" and conspiracy theories being discussed. It's annoying. All these allegations and most are completely unsubstantiated. I've made a general rule not to listen to anyone who isn't a "stake holder" (i.e. has a deposit) and who isn't making blind allegations.

If I were a dealer, I'd be pretty upset at these guys. It's beyond the ridiculous point. Do Ferrari and Lamborghini buyers act as immature as these guys do? I don't mean that in an offensive way for those of you who are acting immature. I'm just curious if the same traits exist with the high-end car buyers. I would guess it is more of a low-end/low-class demographic. Again I mean no offense to this group. I'd like to think I'm in the working class profile too. None the less it will be interesting to see how the Lotus dealers who were traditionally in the high-end car sales market deal with this new group of buyers.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Hi David,

I knew the first car was the demo and the second car was going to a long waiting customer. I don't think anyone was intentionly flaming you guys. Mact3333 was basing his comment on what Tim told the potential customer on the phone. Maybe he misunderstood what Tim told him?

Do you guys still anticipate your demo on the 12th?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Smiley request for Randy!

Reddirt14 said:
... immature...low-end/low-class demographic. Again I mean no offense to this group.
Randy, sorry to bother you, but is there any chance of getting a smiley that's flipping the bird?

Oh, and by the way, I mean no offense to anyone by that comment... ;)

·
Registered
970 Posts
Re: Demo for Rental

kbob said:

I based my previous post on Bob's post. I also stated "IF TRUE, that it was BS". If not, then obviously I take back what I said. Dave, sorry if my post offended/irritated ya....:). But Im still against trying to force people to sell you back the car if you sell within the yr cause this will only be an issue for 1-2 yrs at most and the negative vibes it creates IMO isnt worth it at all.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Party at Park Place on Aug 12th!

Ok, so no official party exists to my knowledge.

But...
I plan on dropping by after work to hopefully drool on the demo.
Anyone else going to be there?
Perhaps we can set a time and all check out the car, then drop by Starbucks to chat?

Scott

·
Registered
401 Posts
Randy, I too would like the Bird smiley to place after everytime I have to repeat "check your facts before posting BS about dealers". I can't recall hearing one "story" that was close to legitimate. Granted there has to be one out there.

I would honestly like to know if the customary/sterotypical Elise buyer is inclined to these types of exagerations, stories, lies and complaints, more so than say a Ferrari/Lamborgini type dealer. And if so I wonder what effect that will have on the dealers. My tolerance for these conspiracy theories is so low that if I were a dealer, I'd probably find out who some of these story posters are and take them off my list. At a minimum I'd encourage them to go somewhere else, maybe consider a nice Mitsubishi or Hyundai that they could drive away in today. But that's me, these dealers seem a lot more tolerant than I would be. I hope this isn't any indication of how these people will act on the track. If so we'll probably have seperate track days/times that won't allow Elise owners to "bother" the exotic drivers.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts