The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice...I recently relocated to NYC and need to ship my car out here and park it somewhere.

Two questions:

1) Anyone had experience shipping cars to NYC? I hear large trucks have trouble navigating the city? Any specific company anyone can recommend (enclosed only obviously)?

2) Any advice for parking? I requested quotes from a couple nearby lots and they're around $500/month, which is pretty crazy, and I'm not even sure how safe those lots are (they look nice, but I don't know how busy they are/how much I trust them).

Cheers & thanks for any help you can offer. I'm near 7th and Christopher if anyone knows any hookups for parking :p

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
The Monterey garage
Telephone & Fax; (212) 724-4600
137 West 89th Street, New York, NY 10024
The owners are a great couple who own at least 4 Elans.

·
Registered
2005 Elise #3395, Chrome Orange, BOE tune, Exige wheels, splitter
343 Posts
I would suggest you call Manhattan Motorcars for recommendations about car shippers. They deal with customers' shipping their cars into and out of their place frequently.

As regards parking, There's an Alamo indoor garage on W 12th St and University Place in the village where I've seen an Aston Martin garaged. The owner keeps it covered and it's in a place where no one moves it. It's in a secure place right in front of the rental counter. Don't know the cost for this special treatment but it is NYC, so... plan on it being a lot!

Good luck.

Noel

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
450 - 500 is on target - though they often double it for exotic or special needs cars.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I've had cars shipped *from* NYC by Intercity Lines. In both cases, they had to send a flatbed truck to retrieve the cars from my parking garage; their hauling rigs are too big to navigate many of the streets in Manhattan.

They arranged for the flatbed pickup, and it was done safely and professionally.

My experience with NYC parking garages: you will get bumper damage, no matter how much you spend on a spot. There is a small correlation between monthly rent and care of handling. Probably your best chance of avoiding damage is to find a garage that stacks cars on a lift, and arrange to have your car on the top slot.

Indoor garages can easily be >$500/month. Outdoor can be quite a bit less.

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
Jordan: Welcome to the East Coast.
I can't recommend the Ma. based company that transported your Elise to Boston. They delivered it with hydraulic fluid dripping from the roof down both windows, and that was an enclosed hauler. Eeek:-(
Seeing you won't be doing any canyon runs in NYC, you should check out SCDA for some great track events http://www.scda1.com/home
once you settle in.

Andy: Congratulations on your impressive run in Lotus Cup. I'm sure that wasn't an easy feat. BTW, your inbox is full, sir.

Chris

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice guys.

Intercity wants almost $1000 more than any other company I got a quote from, so as good as they may be, that's a no-go :p

The lot two blocks from me quoted $500 and the one about 5-6 blocks away on Astor Pl looks like it's about $400. I'm going to go check out the Astor Pl one today and see what the conditions are like. If it's not up to par, I'll look into the one on W 12th St and University Pl.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts