The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was parked at the beach with probably 4 other cars in the same area...there was a no parking sign but it's 10 pm at night and hey...who are you really blocking at that time. Anyhow...apparently a meter maid came by and wrote me a ticket--no big deal.

So the person checks off '$40 - Parked in a "no parking" designated area' then writes '$40' where the 'total' is listed--crossed that out and wrote $80. So what, is this like the Lotus premium or something? I couldn't find a thing on the citation that would increase the price, just the mark next to $40.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Man that sucks.

This past Sunday I got a no front plate ticket while parked on the street. Not a big surprise there, but the BS part is that the car that was parked behind me (a late 70s corvette) was also without a front plate.

There was about 10 feet of room between the back of my car and the front of the Vette. So, its not like the metermaid didn't see the car behind me. The Vette was already there when I parked.

My car is red and new looking, the Vette was white and a bit beat up looking. But, both were legally parked, and both were without a front plate.. .yet I got a ticket and he didn't. WTF?!!

I suspect that there is something to this whole "lotus premium" notion.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Man that sucks.

This past Sunday I got a no front plate ticket while parked on the street. Not a big surprise there, but the BS part is that the car that was parked behind me (a late 70s corvette) was also without a front plate.

There was about 10 feet of room between the back of my car and the front of the Vette. So, its not like the metermaid didn't see the car behind me. The Vette was already there when I parked.

My car is red and new looking, the Vette was white and a bit beat up looking. But, both were legally parked, and both were without a front plate.. .yet I got a ticket and he didn't. WTF?!!

I suspect that there is something to this whole "lotus premium" notion.
wtf? automobile discrimination...oh man that sux

you both you should try to fight those BS tickets :wallbang:

·
Registered
539 Posts
I don't know how I can fight this ticket.

I really didn't have the front plate on.

The only thing that upsets me, is that the old car behind me didn't have one either. But, only I got ticketed. :shrug: :mad:

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
So I was parked at the beach with probably 4 other cars in the same area...there was a no parking sign but it's 10 pm at night and hey...who are you really blocking at that time. Anyhow...apparently a meter maid came by and wrote me a ticket--no big deal.

So the person checks off '$40 - Parked in a "no parking" designated area' then writes '$40' where the 'total' is listed--crossed that out and wrote $80. So what, is this like the Lotus premium or something? I couldn't find a thing on the citation that would increase the price, just the mark next to $40.

I would NEVER pay that ticket. That's a load of CRAP.

Take it to court and spare your dignity.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
if it says NO PARKING, and you park there, are you not assuming risk of ticket by ignoring the sign , no matter what time of day it is?
IMO it sucks you got caught for blantanly disreguarding the rules which were clearly posted right in front of you.
I dont make the rules we live by, but when i break them knowingly, i assume the risk of getting busted for it, and pay up when caught.

next time just remove/destroy the no parking sign before you leave your car alone, then you can claim to have not seen any sign, and there is your defense.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
This is easy - Cross out the $80 figure and write $5. Send it in with a check for five bucks. Problem solved. :D

·
Registered
320 Posts
I would NEVER pay that ticket. That's a load of CRAP.

Take it to court and spare your dignity.
And your defense in court would be what? As pointed out by a previous poster, it was a no parking area and he parked there. Maybe having it a no parking zone at that time of night makes no sense, but "the law makes no sense" isn't much of a defense.

And how will taking it to court spare his dignity? He'll just get laughed at, figurative speaking, for pointlessly showing up to fight something for which there is no defense. But, at least he will have wasted most of a day, taken off work and, perhaps, paid for parking at the courthouse. All to have the judge summarily tell him to pay the fine. Yeah, that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
And your defense in court would be what? As pointed out by a previous poster, it was a no parking area and he parked there. Maybe having it a no parking zone at that time of night makes no sense, but "the law makes no sense" isn't much of a defense.

And how will taking it to court spare his dignity? He'll just get laughed at, figurative speaking, for pointlessly showing up to fight something for which there is no defense. But, at least he will have wasted most of a day, taken off work and, perhaps, paid for parking at the courthouse. All to have the judge summarily tell him to pay the fine. Yeah, that makes sense.
+1

Unless you feel strongly you can win, it's not worth it.

But since it's not going to affect your driving record or insurance or anything,
sometimes it just aint worth your time and money to fight it, even if you're right.

(and the judge might not be too lenient when he sees you drive a Lotus as well!? :confused: )

the $40 marked up to $80 sounds fishy tho. - and preposterous as well, I'd question that one.
It's absurd how much money they try to get out of people.

I believe you can also attempt to fight a parking ticket by writing to them, (I tried that once, when I was parked legally in the Hollywood Hills, but the sign saying I had to turn the wheels into the curb was obstructed by a van parked illegally in front of [email protected]#)
but the odds are against you as well.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow guys.... :huh:

I never claimed I didn't deserve a ticket. I said it was fine (no pun intended). I just thought it was really strange/ballsy/amusing that the person crossed out the 40 and hiked the price up.

As to what the other cars got...no idea...it was empty when I came back. The ticket was worth the entertainment on the beach. ;)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
+1

Unless you feel strongly you can win, it's not worth it.

But since it's not going to affect your driving record or insurance or anything,
sometimes it just aint worth your time and money to fight it, even if you're right.

(and the judge might not be too lenient when he sees you drive a Lotus as well!? :confused: )

the $40 marked up to $80 sounds fishy tho. - and preposterous as well, I'd question that one.
It's absurd how much money they try to get out of people.

I believe you can also attempt to fight a parking ticket by writing to them, (I tried that once, when I was parked legally in the Hollywood Hills, but the sign saying I had to turn the wheels into the curb was obstructed by a van parked illegally in front of [email protected]#)
but the odds are against you as well.

The eighty bucks isn't really worth the time and effort involved in fighting it. Like others said, I was parked where I knew I wasn't supposed to so I'm not really contesting the actual ticket itself. Moving violations are a whole different matter...I'll fight those to the bitter end. :shift:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
The eighty bucks isn't really worth the time and effort involved in fighting it. Like others said, I was parked where I knew I wasn't supposed to so I'm not really contesting the actual ticket itself. Moving violations are a whole different matter...I'll fight those to the bitter end. :shift:
yah,. totally.

But I'd call up or write to ask why they hand-marked it up to $80, for all you know some punk pedestrian might have picked up the ticket and done so to mess with you.

It's just absurd the amount they charge for parking tickets.
it's one thing if it's in a zone where they're trying to keep lanes clear for traffic during rush hour.
But after 10pm? how do they determine the amount to punish people for?!?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Am I missing something... I don't really think Brennon's point in complaining about the ticket. Had to do with the actual receiving of the ticket. He admitted that that ticket was deserved.

But, that he felt the meter person added an extra $40 to it, because it was a Lotus and not a civic or something.

So, the issue as I saw it was what he sarcastically referred to as the "Lotus premium."

I thought this thread would have a few more accounts of what Coi referred to as "automobile discrimination."

Its a fact that when you drive an old beat up car generally people will assume that you are poor. (relative to how old and how beat up the car is)

But, what are people assuming when they see someone rolling in a Lotus?

Do Ferrari guys deal with this sort of thing, on the rare occasion that they park their cars out on the street?

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
hand-marked it up to $80, for all you know some punk pedestrian might have picked up the ticket and done so to mess with you.
Brilliant idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!
next time i see a lotus with a ticket, i am going to rasie the ante up to $200
I love a good prank.
the aggrevation for driving such an expesive(looking) car.
;)

·
Registered
682 Posts
Since the ticket was received for violating a law/ordinance, and is the penalty for that, it should be codified somewhere what the fines are for specific violations (right?). Most tickets I've seen have the ordinance/statute information referenced on them, and a quick internet search might tell you what sort of legal standing you have. Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts