The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just took possession of my 2010 Lotus Elise a couple weeks ago, so figured I'd sign up to LT.

The (apologetically) long-winded story is this: My dad is a car guy. Enough rubbed off on me to be interested and appreciative, but not enough to overcome my mechanical ineptitude. Since I was a kid, my dream car was a silver Porsche 911. I did own a 944 for a decade until I sold it a few years back as the family expanded. It was a fun car, but I wanted to step up to a 911. But the Porsche was knocked from its lofty position one day about 8 years ago when I was visiting Disney World. After a long day, we trudged back to the rental car. Parked two spaces over was a car I had never seen before. It was AWESOME! A charcoal gray.. something. I had to look at the back end to learn it was a lotus. Lotus?! I didn't know they still imported cars to the US. Maybe it's gray market? Some internet research revealed that the Elise had been imported to the US since 2005 and to Canada a year later. And it wasn't a $100,000 car! It was my new DREAM CAR.

As it happened, One of the 3 lotus dealers in Canada is in my home province of British Columbia (albeit 1200 km away). I eventually found my way down there to drool over some cars in the showroom. At the time (maybe 2008?) a practically new 06 or 07 Elise (can't remember exactly) was going for $40,000 in Canada. Or about $35,000 more than I had. Life went on, but I was constantly thinking about that car. Eventually I made a career move that would put some more $$ in the bank. About six months ago I was thinking seriously about buying a Lotus Elise. Annoyingly, it seemed to be the only recent production car in Canada that had appreciated in value! That same 2006 model that was going for $40K six years earlier was now going for ~$43K! (This is Canada, remember, with a much reduced inventory and prohibition on importing from the US). I should have bought the damned thing 5 years ago & it would have been paid off! Apparently the prices started climbing after the 2011 cut off.

Autotrader searches revealed a seriously depleted inventory across Canada. My hope of a 2006/07 for ~$40K was now a pipe dream. There was one available in BC at the same dealer I visited years earlier: a 2010 and listed more than $10K higher than I wanted to spend. I waffled a bit and then decided screw it! The time has come! I made some banking arrangements and bought it unseen.. then flew down to pick it up about 10 days later. I was on the fence about the colour (solar yellow) until I laid eyes on it. It's much more vivid in person, and it quickly grew on me. After some paperwork, I set off on my llooonnngg drive home, smiling the whole way.

I love this car. There's nothing like it for hundreds of kilometres and it gets a lot of attention. It's a blast to drive, though I do have to search for corners in this prairie landscape I live in. I cannot walk past it without staring & smiling. THAT'S MY CAR!! I'm looking out the window right now and amongst the green leaves, brown buildings and other gray & green cars.. is this BRIGHT yellow awesome little car.. and I'm smiling again! Dream car = Check. Life is good.

2010 Lotus Elise. Solar Yellow, Touring package, Performance Package

uhhh - I guess I'll have to upload a pic to the wife's facebook page before I can post it here. You all know what they look like anyhow. ;)

·
shay2nak
25,171 Posts
congrats!

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Welcome to LT!

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
Congrats :)

uhhh - I guess I'll have to upload a pic to the wife's facebook page before I can post it here. You all know what they look like anyhow. ;)
You can upload pics here - scroll to "Manage Attachments" in Additional Options underneath the submit button :)

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
Very good story. Welcome!

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,430 Posts
Welcome, lots of great info in here.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Welcome! Just know that if you ever tire of the color you can always wrap or spray it another color, fully reversible

1 - 9 of 9 Posts