The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and ready to move on...:cool:

I need some advice on this spectacular car that kept beating me in SCCA. :sad:

Thinking about buying a used Lotus, read about the supercharged Elise SC that debuted for 2008, boasting a 218-hp version of the standard Elise's engine. That year also saw a new instrument display with a trip computer. :clap:

Gimmie some insight on what it will take to make an older model meet the standards of a newer model. Drivetrain?, bushings. suspension. etc???

Keep in mind, I've been working with a 2.5 boxer engine, with a safety net(AWD) and know just about everything there is to know about an 04 STi.
But have a lot to learn about a Lotus. :wave:

Another question... what about tuning your Lotus? AP available? or custom tune?

Here are some pics of the STi before the part out

...and after the part out

so input??????

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Yikes! What happened to the Subie? Rollover? :eek:

I think most agree that you'd be better off with an older Elise and adding an aftermarket supercharger, instead of buying a new SC. On the suspension side, most people who drive track or auto-x upgrade to stiffer springs and adjustable shocks (and potentially steering arms, aero, wheels/tires, etc).

So it's probably more cost effective to get an older Elise in good condition and upgrade as desired.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Money and power wise, you'd be best off getting a 2005 or 2006 Elise, then adding a Katana/BWR supercharger, or perhaps even a VF supercharger kit(Or TVS from BoE for that matter... But I'd personally trust a kit at those levels better with an intercooler).

The 2008/09 Elise SC are equipped with a 'smaller' supercharger than an Exige S/S240/S260 which is also 'smaller' than what the aftermarket kits supply.

Suspension wise, the factory Track Pack suspension isn't bad, though it would be advised that you upgrade the toelink components. Sector 111 offers a few good items for this. (edit for links; RTDbrace reinforcement brace for the Lotus Elise and Exige - Sector111 / RTVbrace - Light weight rear chassis brace for the Lotus Elise and Exige - Sector111 )

Anyhow, welcome aboard, hope you get one soon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yikes! What happened to the Subie? Rollover? :eek:

I think most agree that you'd be better off with an older Elise and adding an aftermarket supercharger, instead of buying a new SC. On the suspension side, most people who drive track or auto-x upgrade to stiffer springs and adjustable shocks (and potentially steering arms, aero, wheels/tires, etc).

So it's probably more cost effective to get an older Elise in good condition and upgrade as desired.
yes, no comment. :shrug:

Money and power wise, you'd be best off getting a 2005 or 2006 Elise, then adding a Katana/BWR supercharger, or perhaps even a VF supercharger kit(Or TVS from BoE for that matter... But I'd personally trust a kit at those levels better with an intercooler).

The 2008/09 Elise SC are equipped with a 'smaller' supercharger than an Exige S/S240/S260 which is also 'smaller' than what the aftermarket kits supply.

Suspension wise, the factory Track Pack suspension isn't bad, though it would be advised that you upgrade the toelink components. Sector 111 offers a few good items for this. (edit for links; RTDbrace reinforcement brace for the Lotus Elise and Exige - Sector111 / RTVbrace - Light weight rear chassis brace for the Lotus Elise and Exige - Sector111 )

Anyhow, welcome aboard, hope you get one soon.
been doing my homework, and read about he toelinks in the lotus. And your right about that!

Another question... how is it working on the suspension? I know with my STi it was bolt on, easy...

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Another question... how is it working on the suspension? I know with my STi it was bolt on, easy...
The Lotus' suspension is pretty simple... upper and lower wishbones with coilover shocks front and back, and a front sway bar. If you get a car with the "track pack" or other aftermarket adjustable shocks you can adjust ride height and corner balance fairly easily. Front caster is adjustable, and toe/camber is adjustable in the front and back with simple tools.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about an after market "track pack".

Do it yourself, maybe parts off of a wrecked Lotus.

Or would you spend just as much on the after market parts as you would on the "track pack"

Track pack...$2,495 VS ???

BTW thanks for your help

Gretchen

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
What about an after market "track pack".

Do it yourself, maybe parts off of a wrecked Lotus.

Or would you spend just as much on the after market parts as you would on the "track pack"

Track pack...$2,495 VS ???

BTW thanks for your help

Gretchen
You're welcome...

You'll find people selling their "track pack" springs and shocks as they upgrade to double or triple adjustable shocks and stiffer springs. It all depends on how much you expect to get out of the car... the stock suspension is great for the street, but if you're a serious auto-x or track junkie you'll probably want something with more capability... <a href="http://www.sector111.com/">Sector111</a> is one of the vendors that offers a selection of aftermarket suspension/exhaust/aero/etc options...

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Warning***

Depending on what class you want to drive in will determine which car best suits your needs. IF you are planning on running in ASP you HAVE to upgrade using only the OEM Lotus Supercharger. This is incredibly expensive. Aftermarket superchargers although way more affordable are not an option.

OP I would post the question in the Solo timed events section
Solo timed events - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

If you are going to go with an early car try to at least get one with LSD. It'll save you $$$, because you'll want it later. Also many cars have deleted the rear panel. Make sure that if the car you buy doesn't have one that you get it from the owner. You'll be protested if you don't have it.

As far as suspension choices. My BWR Penske shocks with the BWR swaybar ROCK! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them over everything else.

Good luck!!!
Sorry to see your Subbie like that, but glad to see that you are OK.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Check out Monkeytuner.com as another source.

·
Registered
357 Posts
At first I thought that your 04 STI looked alot better than mine, but then I saw the last pictures.

A few thoughts from someone that still owns both cars.

1. good move
2. the lotus is really good in stock form, and although there are many possible upgrades that can make it better you have to know what you're aiming for, I would recommend getting one used that is stock or as close to stock as possible and then drive it for a season and then decide what you want to do with it
3. its not the same as modding the STI where access port + exhaust = easy 50 hp and
sway bars/camber plates/shocks = significant improvement in handling, the lotus is gonna cost alot more for more modest gains so unless you have lotsa cash its good to be selective
4. disclaimer - I 've driven both cars on the track extensively, but I have never done an auto cross so the issues about car class would need to be considered but I can't keep that alphabet soup straight

Sorry your Subaru took a beating, but you appear no worse for wear so go find your lotus, its a buyers market and the pickings are particularly good right now.

cheers

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I used to autocross a subie and now an elise. I can tell you the # 1 thing I would look for in any lotus for autocross is an lsd. I still am not over my learned habit of pedal to the floor in corner exit. That is no problem in any subie but results in massive inside wheel spin in my elise. Wait till you experience slaloms and offsets in a lotus though. Sti feels like a semi truck in comparison....

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
welcome :wave:

wow, sorry about your STi but glad your fine and interested in a lotus.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you everyone for your help! :D

You all have been very helpful. I guess I better start reading know. I don't want
to walk into a sale with no knowledge under my belt.

More or less I'm tired of driving my daily driver. I miss my STi, but am super excited about owning an Elise. :coolnana:

I will keep you all posted as my search continues.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
If you find one that you are interested in buying, ask about it on here first and post pictures. Many people on here can spot issues from a mile away...

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
If you find one that you are interested in buying, ask about it on here first and post pictures. Many people on here can spot issues from a mile away...
very good advice, if you find "the one" post the VIN and other info here. You'd be surprised ;) lol

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
sorry about the STi. Question though, how is that rear view mirror floating in the middle of the car? I'm sure i'm missing something simple.

as a side, geeky note, I tried to middle click and rotate the image, been spending waaay too much time with solid works lately. (has anyone else tried to do this?)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts