The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Anyone happen to know if a chart or spreadsheet has been put together showing changes to parts on our Esprits over the years? Since viewing the forum topic "Lower cost Bilstein option!", I've been trying to find technical information on shock and dampener size & compatibility between years. I have a 93.5 and one of the dampeners is leaking so I'm looking at all options. I'm thinking replacing all four is probably in my best interest since it seems none of them have been addressed since the car's inception.

It'd just be nice to have some sort of chart that shows which part is compatible across which year models.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Do keep in mind, each Esprit was basically hand built. A list of changes through the years isn't really something Lotus put a lot of thought into. I'll give you an example, we have three S4's on here, two with the power window in the drivers front fender, and mine, with it in the rear drivers rear fender... for no reason.

Someone had a random fuel filter or some such on their car. The bulkhead had been cut to clear it. It was simply in the middle or a production sequence, and oh look, we are out of filters, I'll run and grab my spare out of my Rover boot, we'll use it, it's the same threads.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,088 Posts
It was simply in the middle or a production sequence, and oh look, we are out of filters, I'll run and grab my spare out of my Rover boot, we'll use it, it's the same threads.
Funny you should mention that...the washer reservoir and coolant overflow bottles on YellowHornet's S4s have Rover part stickers on them.

rotfl

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Vulcan. I've already joined and took advantage of that. I just wasn't sure whether someone has already gone through the trouble of creating a compatibility matrix across year models. I checked the Golden Gate site and it only has a few entries - most dealing with V8's, FYI.

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Hi all. Anyone happen to know if a chart or spreadsheet has been put together showing changes to parts on our Esprits over the years?
It'd just be nice to have some sort of chart that shows which part is compatible across which year models.
Is this in reference to the XLS file generated by Ian Russell containing a cross reference chart of known interchangeable parts for the 4 cyl cars?

Cal H

·
Registered
252 Posts
Is this in reference to the XLS file generated by Ian Russell containing a cross reference chart of known interchangeable parts for the 4 cyl cars?

Cal H
I've seen a couple different versions of this floating around, here's the one on Ian's site...
Cytherean Lotus Esprit X180 and S4 pages

This is a copy on the Golden Gate site:
http://www.gglotus.org/ggpart/

Some GM fuel injection data on EspritFactFile.com...
http://www.espritfactfile.com/Xref.html

...and another xref list by Dr. Hess...
http://www.espritfactfile.com/xref.html

I thought I had another one that combined these lists and had some additional confirmation info but I can't find it now. I'll post it here if I do.

I've found a few things that weren't accurate so use them as a starting point an do your homework. It would be great if there was an update-able copy somewhere as I've collected a few entries and corrections (I'm sure some members here have extensive knowledge that could be added).

- Notably, the cam belt interchanges are not correct. The Gates T188/T249 and Nissan belt are very similar but have slightly different tooth profiles. They probably work but I wouldn't chance it.
Excellent post here by Sailorbob:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164/lets-talk-about-timing-belts-139314/index3.html

·
Cal H
982 Posts
It would be great if there was an update-able copy somewhere as I've collected a few entries and corrections (I'm sure some members here have extensive knowledge that could be added).
Everyone was supposed to email when additional parts were found to update his list at [email protected].

But there really has been very little updated since July 2008. I dropped off from many of the Esprit sites around that time with many of the old timers around that time. I got my copy from the LOON's

Cal H

1 - 11 of 11 Posts