The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some new products that are available or in the works for the U.S.A. Elise.

1. Carbon rotors and pads to work with OEM Calipers. The ETA is Spring, 05.

2. Bolt on super charger by at least 3 different manufactures. The ETA is Spring 05. The well known HKS is testing one as we speak!

3. Fully forged wheels that are lighter than SSRs. By at least 3 different manufactures that I know of. The ETA is Feb+,05.

4. Carbon Fiber (dry) hard top, front panels, Rear Diffuser and engine cover (rear deck). Available now (I have them on my car). Full body panels (including doors) will be available by Feb+, 05.

5. Titanium Exhaust systems, Stainless sport Cats, straight pipes. Available now.

6. Replacement seats, Carbon Fiber, Kevlar and Glass Fiber. Available now.

7. Bolt on Harness bar. Titanium or Stainless Steel. Available now.

8. Door mirrors. Carbon Fiber and Aluminum. Available now.

9. Cold air induction systems. Few are available now but a lot more will be available by Feb./ March, 05. The HKS and KMS is testing 7+HP gain units as we speak.

10. A lot more to come!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
29,081 Posts
Wow.

You can bet if I had that, I would be putting skid plates on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,610 Posts
Very interesting. Sports bike also have "race" body paneling available which makes a track day mishap more affordable. That would be great if the Elise could have similar low cost clam shells in addition to a carbon fiber upgrade. It may even help insurance rates as well if a lower costing replacement part is available.

Also, looks like the tuner parts will soon be available that could give the Elise supercar performance.
 

·
shay2nak
Joined
·
25,171 Posts
damn, that CF clam looks badass! That's got to be $5000. That one also looks like the euro clam. Check out the center front spine section where the panels will go on either side. It looks much steeper than the US Elise. Is there any way that we can displace the fuse box and brake booster to fit the euro clam? I like the steeper one, it makes the front of the car looks smaller.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,546 Posts
KMS,

You stated that the CF hardtops are available now. Do you have contact info for the distributor.....I haven't seen that Sector 111 has them.

Also, is the CF; dry fiber or the pre-preg fiber? Just curious, since the quality of pre-preg fiber is much higher quality and durability than dry fiber.

Thanks,
Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CF parts.

pianomaniac said:
KMS,

You stated that the CF hardtops are available now. Do you have contact info for the distributor.....I haven't seen that Sector 111 has them.

Also, is the CF; dry fiber or the pre-preg fiber? Just curious, since the quality of pre-preg fiber is much higher quality and durability than dry fiber.

Thanks,
Ron
Yes they are ( all of their CF parts including body panels) the pre- preg type. It is a very high quality and ultra light weight. I will take my hard top off and take some detail photos after this holiday weekend and post them on this thread.

Yes It is available. Sector111 will be their distributor in the U.S. He just made a deal with them last weekend at the Lotus event in Japan and they are new products. There are only three 111R CF top produced so far including a prototype and mine by this company. Please contact Shinoo at Sector 111 after the holiday and he will give you the prices and if you want it then he will order for you. It will take 4 to 6 weeks.
 

Attachments

·
Banned
Joined
·
338 Posts
kms elise...

...are the replacement seats similar to the oem ones but lighter, or are they more comfortable. I would like to get seats that are more comfortable than the oem ones.
Cheers Doug
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,546 Posts
Re: CF parts.

KMS Elise said:
Yes they are ( all of their CF parts including body panels) the pre- preg type. It is a very high quality and ultra light weight. I will take my hard top off and take some detail photos after this holiday weekend and post them on this thread.

Yes It is available. Sector111 will be their distributor in the U.S. He just made a deal with them last weekend at the Lotus event in Japan and they are new products. There are only three 111R CF top produced so far including a prototype and mine by this company. Please contact Shinoo at Sector 111 after the holiday and he will give you the prices and if you want it then he will order for you. It will take 4 to 6 weeks.
Good to hear, thanks for the info. Are the CF tops finished on the inside? I assume that they come with all the mounting hardware? Considering that the Elise is hand built, do you forsee any potential problems with fitting the hardtop to the structure? Thanks. Ron
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,941 Posts
Do any of the CF hard tops come with the central longitudinal depression detail exhibited by the OE top? I think that is a nice design detail that ties into the front and rear "spine" details on our cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,301 Posts
Stan said:
Do any of the CF hard tops come with the central longitudinal depression detail exhibited by the OE top? I think that is a nice design detail that ties into the front and rear "spine" details on our cars.
I wonder if you may get a bit less headroom without it? Are the two sides small bubbles?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,308 Posts
After reading the thread again I realize that I will now have to hold my breath and drive my ordinary, heavy weight Elise around until spring 05. What a bummer. Just kidding, really, it's good to see so much in the works. By the time Spring 05 rolls around I might be used to my car and ready for more.

Does anyone know how much the harness bars are?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,607 Posts
just curious,

Can someone/company reproduce an entire car out of (insert material) and sell them? Wouldn't that eat into Lotus's pockets? Im just curious because I was going to have a Lotus emblem made for my car trailer and several other people asked me to start making them and selling them but I worried about TM problems...

But it seems if someone can duplicate an entire Lotus car's design, I could make a couple of emblems for a trailer. :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
645 Posts
Won't that depend on what is copywriten? I'm sure the Lutos emblem is a trademark, but the shape of the body might not be. The chassis design probably has some patents on it though.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,941 Posts
>>>I wonder if you may get a bit less headroom without it? Are the two sides small bubbles?<<<

I doubt it. It looks like the central detail is a depression with a width similar to the spines (a unifying design detail). So there is no effect on headroom due to this element. This does not mean that there is more or less headroom with the OE versus one of the many aftermarket hard tops. FWIW there seems to be pretty good headroom in the Elise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,167 Posts
Stan said:
Do any of the CF hard tops come with the central longitudinal depression detail exhibited by the OE top? I think that is a nice design detail that ties into the front and rear "spine" details on our cars.
Besides aesthetics, that drepression adds stiffness to the more flexible fiberglass roof. The CF roof is probably stiff enough with out it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,766 Posts
I will be very interested to hear how CF clams compare to fiberglass in terms of weight. I have no idea what the various fiberglass sections wight I wonder how much weight will be saved. What do you think maybe a 25 pound weight savings for the front clam?? Someone metioned $5000 for the CF, that would be some expensive weight savings! $200 per pound, wow!
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top