The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my passenger air bag cover has begun coming off. In typical Lotus fashion it never fit 100% lexus smooth, but it always fit relatively flush. It's been a bit warmer of recent and in the last 2 weeks the top half (where there appears to be tape holding it to the dash) is beginning to slack up..to where now it noticeably projects from the dash just about evenly on both the top and bottom about 4 mm. Clips aren't broken (AFAIK) and the car's never been in an accident. Anyone have any tips? I am hesitant to re-adhere it without knowing how it will effect airbag deployment.

I know it is sort of a TADTS moment, but I'm bringing it up now because it appears to be steadly getting worse, as if the adhesive they used is failing..

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
My gut is that the clips ARE broken. There are 4 and they are scored (so it pops off during deployment).

I'd just get 4 new ones (Justin at FVMC can mail them to you) and reinstall for piece of mind.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I just bought a set because I busted a few messing with my dash when installing the airbag switch :rolleyes: GET READY to pay about 4 bux each.... but what the hey!

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rgr...I need another trim panel (broken, go figure) so I might just call lotus garage and order a few. How hard are they to replace?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Easy peesy! i think there are four pop rivets.... I bought five thinking i would surely break one... Nothing to it!

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ordered 5 clips in addition to the other trim panel I need to replace.. looking at it it appears as if at some point someone used some sort of adhesive and it is starting to go now that it is warmer. With me moving back to FL it's definitely time to take care of this now.

For my own understanding-the cover is held on solely by the clips, and with the help of no adhesive, correct?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I ordered 5 clips in addition to the other trim panel I need to replace.. looking at it it appears as if at some point someone used some sort of adhesive and it is starting to go now that it is warmer. With me moving back to FL it's definitely time to take care of this now.

For my own understanding-the cover is held on solely by the clips, and with the help of no adhesive, correct?
Correct. Four clips. No adhesive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts