The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Formerly EliseIn2005
236 Posts
I have a '17 Evora 400, black interior, Northern California heat. Even with ceramic front windshield tint (clear, so undetectable) AND a front window shade, I had the rear right corner start to lift up. Under warranty still, so they replaced some clips and it's better, though not perfect...

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
I'm a bit confused because Offero's signature says he has an Evora 400. But the 400's panel is not leather covered and to my knowledge this hasn't been an issue on any of the '17 and later cars. Can we assume this problem is in respect to his prior '11 Evora? My 400's cover is fine but the car is kept in a climate controlled garage and doesn't get the worst of a southern summer heat treatment torture.
I was wondering that also so searched his posts and looks like was his 2011.
https://www.lotustalk.com/threads/evora-dash-warping-questions.433201/#post-5616705

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have a '17 Evora 400, black interior, Northern California heat. Even with ceramic front windshield tint (clear, so undetectable) AND a front window shade, I had the rear right corner start to lift up. Under warranty still, so they replaced some clips and it's better, though not perfect...
This is first 400 I've seen with this issue. Any others out there......? Was hoping Lotus would have addressed this in the 4xx series.........

·
Registered
43 Posts
My 2017 E400 has this issue and I waited 4 months for a replacement cover. It should be fixed under warranty this week at the same time the dealer replaces the passenger footwell support due to recall.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The passenger side left near corner had lifted before I bought my car this past summer. Yesterday I did the J B Weld and small screw driver trick, let it sit overnight with a 25 lb weight, and it worked like a charm! I've also been treating the leather with neatsfoot oil to soften it up and let it stretch back out. Thanks NY Group for a great suggestion!

·
Loves to talk
828 Posts
The passenger side left near corner had lifted before I bought my car this past summer. Yesterday I did the J B Weld and small screw driver trick, let it sit overnight with a 25 lb weight, and it worked like a charm! I've also been treating the leather with neatsfoot oil to soften it up and let it stretch back out. Thanks NY Group for a great suggestion!

Will the JB weld , being a high strength epoxy, interfere with deployment in the event of an accident?

·
Registered
453 Posts
To address the 400.... My dealer says this is still a potential issue in the 400. No "engineering" improvements were made to the airbag cover. At least they were honest 🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
As stated elsewhere, the force of the explosion should just blow that cover right off, unless you pour a tube of JB weld in there. My 2010 had immediate failure. The 2011 just failed during last summer on both sides, so I will do this when I remember or get sick of looking at it. Ironically, wife is 90- lbs so probably wouldn't fire anyway. As you can see, I take my 'add lightness" seriously.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Who cares it's passenger side? And the way it seems Lotus people are about weight savings do they ever even have a passenger?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I was wondering that also so searched his posts and looks like was his 2011.
https://www.lotustalk.com/threads/evora-dash-warping-questions.433201/#post-5616705
Ding-ding-ding! :)

Yes, I traded my '11 for a 400 last fall.

Incidentally, I talked with the service advisor at my dealer and he said he has Evora 400 passenger airbag covers in-stock because he's been replacing them on customer cars.

Sigh - Lotus could have re-engineered this when they redesigned the dash for the 400.

·
Registered
377 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
The driver's side shroud is held on by velcro in multiple spots. I guess if you don't plan on removing the gauge cluster, or remove the dash, then you could tack it down with JB Weld too, but removal might damage the foam. There's no airbag under it, so it's less of a disposable cover in the event of a crash.

·
NHguy
27 Posts
Just question to those who did the jb weld, is this the tube you're talking about?

Also, do you think it would work with the driver side airback cover that sits behind the instruments? Where would you put the weld and how much of it?
View attachment 1256087
I used job weld that comes with 2 separate tubes that you use small amount from each and mix. I used a small flat blade screwdriver to apply around 1/4 inch of the stuff into the gap, then used 10 lb of weight on top of cover while epoxy dried...overnight.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts