The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have an 05 Elise that recently has developed a problem with the passenger door. When I go to open the door, the door will swing open about 4 inches, before it catches on something. I can't see on the mechanism that it appears to be anything, but if I try to open past whatever is keeping it from opening, the door makes a big popping noise and the panel in front of the door will vibrate. The door will then freely open to the full open position and close with no issues.

Attempting to reopen the door has the same issues. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to diagnose/fix this problem since my shop is an hour drive away and I'd like to see if its something stupid first.

Lotus Door Troubleshooting

Here is a google photos album showing how far I can get the door open before feeling resistance, and a video of what happens if I open it past that point. Thank you for your help guys!

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise BRG
229 Posts
Link isn't working so the following is pure speculation. Is the front of the door contacting the front clam somewhere?
I had one of my clam bolts back out near the door hinge. Could be something related to that I suppose.

Reactions: SS Lotus Elise

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise BRG
229 Posts
Here is a link on the clam bolt if it's that.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Man that sounds brutal. Just to confirm, you are positive it is not rubbing the fender cover/clam when opening? It's possible for clam to shift if not tightened correctly and cause the rubbing. If not, than checking the hinges on door and clam side would be next. Good luck

·
Registered
997 Posts
I had this issue on my car. If you watch the leading edge of the door as you open it you will see it interfere with the back edge of the clam/hinge cover panel. By pushing in on the clam I was able to open the door without it hitting. There are two adjustments you can make to try and pull the hinge cover panel in towards the center of the car. There is a slip joint where the cam and hinge cover panel connect, loosen the two bolts/nuts connecting the two panels and push the panel in and tighten. You can get to the bolts/nuts through the door opening and wheel well. If this is not enough, you will need to unbolt the bottom of the quarter panel. One of the bolts is under a small riveted panel you can see at the front of the door opening when the door is open.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
From your comment on the big "popping" noise. It sounds more than likely the spring plate is going out and about to break. It will make this noise. Once broken...the door will have no resistance...which can be a PITA getting out, as the door freely swings.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate the posts, to check the clam bolts. I talked with Dietsch Motorsports, who I get the car serviced with and they think there is a bolt loose. I haven't been able to figure out what is loose. I will check the clam bolts and let you guys know what I find.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Let us know what you find so that it can help others searching the forums for same issues.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey all, so I took the car into the shop to get it looked at. The found that my door hinge was loose, and that the clamshells had become misaligned causing my door to become unaligned within the sill. This meant the door was catching and not latching properly as well as bumping into stuff when opening. They realigned the front and rear clamshells and tightened everything down. Turns out there were also a lot of rattles that I hadn't noticed or thought were normal that went away. I'm glad I got this fixed cause this could've turned out to be more serious if left alone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts