The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Definitely not the rear inboard. I thought the longer bolts were the same length and went in the front, no?:shrug:

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I believe that's rear outward side. Make sure you re-use the weird little T spacer. The fronts are equal lengths.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Serebo1 said:
Definitely not the rear inboard. I thought the longer bolts were the same length and went in the front, no?:shrug:
Nope three are equal length. One is longer. If you put the long bolt on the rear inboard hole it can potential poke a hole through the aluminum underside. I now have a small pimple on the underside from doing this. :wallbang: Luckily it didn't poke through. Secondly I seem to remember my Lotus tech saying that the long bolt is specifically used in one of the corners in order to secure the seat properly to the frame.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
TTP said:
Nope three are equal length. One is longer. If you put the long bolt on the rear inboard hole it can potential poke a hole through the aluminum underside. I now have a small pimple on the underside from doing this. :wallbang: Luckily it didn't poke through. Secondly I seem to remember my Lotus tech saying that the long bolt is specifically used in one of the corners in order to secure the seat properly to the frame.
I also had the same problem on the rear outboard side, so we've eliminated the rear altogether...

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
TTP said:
Ok now I have a 50/50 chance.
Try running it in with just your fingers to see if it bottoms out on a short side?
:shrug:

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Surferjer said:
I believe that's rear outward side. Make sure you re-use the weird little T spacer. The fronts are equal lengths.
By the "weird little t spacer," are you referring to the seat stop that goes inside the rail? That would only be on the adjustable driver's side seat.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
The bolts on the passenger seat are all silver. The drivers seat rear inboard bolt is the blue one.

The "T" thing Jerry mentioned is also on the drivers seat, along with an "L" thing. The L-shaped piece goes under the drivers rear inboard seat bolt (the blue one). The T-shaped thing goes under the drivers rear outboard seat bolt. They are the slider stops to keep the drivers seat from going into the firewall.

Here is a picture of the L-shaped thing, though your post referred to the passenger seat, which should not have a blue bolt. Somebody have your seats out before?

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
I don't have any T shaped things, but I do have two L's. I figured one for each rail on the drivers side. :shrug:

ChrisB said:
The bolts on the passenger seat are all silver. The drivers seat rear inboard bolt is the blue one.

The "T" thing Jerry mentioned is also on the drivers seat, along with an "L" thing. The L-shaped piece goes under the drivers rear inboard seat bolt (the blue one). The T-shaped thing goes under the drivers rear outboard seat bolt. They are the slider stops to keep the drivers seat from going into the firewall.

Here is a picture of the L-shaped thing, though your post referred to the passenger seat, which should not have a blue bolt. Somebody have your seats out before?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
ChrisB said:
the passenger seat, which should not have a blue bolt. Somebody have your seats out before?
Just as a point of reference - I have an early VIN, and all four of my passenger seat bolts have the green paint dabbed on them. I didn't think to check the driver's seat...:shrug:

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
mgdive said:
I don't have any T shaped things, but I do have two L's. I figured one for each rail on the drivers side. :shrug:
Lotus may have made a running change as they often do, using two of one part instead of two different parts. I suppose two of the L-shaped pieces probably works as well as the combo. Or, it may have been just another one of Lotus' random parts assembly days. :D

They used the L-shaped piece on the inboard side because the console would not allow a T-shaped piece to be used there.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Headed over to South Bay now to pick up my car. I'll try to get an answer.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
From the parts manual, it appears that there are three sizes of bolts. There should be (4) 16 mm long bolts (short). The impression from the drawing is that they should be used on the passenger seat.

There are (2) 20 mm long bolts (medium) that are used on the rear of the driver's seat (using the L shaped stop).

And there are (2) 25 mm long bolts (long) that are used on the front of the driver's seat.

Of course, that could be totally incorrect and/or superseded by running changes to the design.

As I indicated above someplace, my passenger seat has four bolts with the green dab of paint - of course the paint may also be there to indicate that the bolt has been rotated and have absolutely nothing to do with encoding the length of the bolt...

Here's the section from the parts manual:

Attachments

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I just did a quick check on my car (early VIN). All the bolts have dabs of green paint.

All four bolts on the passenger seat are silver Allen head bolts.

The rear two bots on the driver's seat are black Allen head bolts.

The front two bolts on the driver's seat are black hex head (regular) bolts.

I would guess that the four passenger bolts are all the same.

The two rear and two front driver's seat bolts are the same, but different front to rear...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts