The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'07 Exige S
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

hi guys, how do i split the intermediate shaft from the main axle so i can remove the bearing carrier? I bought a pair of Insane Shafts and need to install the carrier on to their bearing.

thanks

·
Administrator
5,834 Posts
Hopefully this link and the links in the thread will help you.

·
Registered
'07 Exige S
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

hi guys, how do i split the intermediate shaft from the main axle so i can remove the bearing carrier? I bought a pair of Insane Shafts and need to install the carrier on to their bearing.

·
Administrator
5,834 Posts
Henry you have duplication in your posts which model is it and I will merge into one?

·
Registered
'07 Exige S
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hopefully this link and the links in the thread will help you.
Thanks Catsailr, those links are for Esprit’s
S2 is quite different

·
Administrator
5,834 Posts
Thanks Catsailr, those links are for Esprit’s
S2 is quite different
Oh damn coffee hadn't kicked in yet lol. You have two posts going one in exige and one in elise which is it so I can merge into one post.

·
Administrator
5,834 Posts

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
I think you are asking about separating that bearing assembly to the left in your picture so that you can get the shaft into a press? There is large a circlip inside the bearing housing (approximately where the Oetiker clamp was). Once you pull the boot and that circlip, the bearing comes apart easily.

I am not sure how you will be able to press that bearing carrier into place on an already-assembled new shaft?

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
714 Posts
I think you are asking about separating that bearing assembly to the left in your picture so that you can get the shaft into a press? There is large a circlip inside the bearing housing (approximately where the Oetiker clamp was). Once you pull the boot and that circlip, the bearing comes apart easily.

I am not sure how you will be able to press that bearing carrier into place on an already-assembled new shaft?
Heated the carrier to about 250deg and it slips right on.

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
714 Posts
Oh, that is great to know. Thanks! A circlip keeps the bearing in place?

Did you reuse the dust covers or abandon them?
Yes a circlip holds the bearing in.It takes about 5 tons on a hydraulic press to get the bearing out. I only did the press work for Henry,you would have to ask him about the shields.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts