The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Stilling doing God's work
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The passenger stereo mesh cover popping out, and it will not got back in.. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Both of my dash speaker covers popped off every day for a year before I had an aneurysm and fixed it. I just installed a $29/pair of 4" Kenwood 140W 3ways this past Friday. Life is great now. Those screws are a bast*ard to get at but the result was the best and cheapest mod I've done to date.

My other Elise had that problem under warranty and they replaced them without me even mentioning it while in for service.

I'm not sure if you can successfully attach those crappy ones without Urethane.

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
Assuming you are talking about the OEM Blaupunkt speakers, the plastic ring that holds the grille has distorted and that is why the grille will not go back in (common problem). PM me if you want to buy a new one.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Assuming you are talking about the OEM Blaupunkt speakers, the plastic ring that holds the grille has distorted and that is why the grille will not go back in (common problem). PM me if you want to buy a new one.
What he said. I ended up buying exige Alpine speakers w/ new grills to fix the issue.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
4 screws that are visible with the cover off. There are two plugs, postive and neg. under the speaker which slide off the old and onto the new (I took some needle nose pliers/leather-man to them to make them tighter). The only hard part was turning the screws directly under the windshield. I ended up taking out the other three screws out, breaking the plastic ring off, and using my leather-man to loosen that last screw. You don't have to buy those speaker exactly and any 4" speaker should be better than the stock speakers. I bought mine at a military exchange store online but a google search should fine some. KENWOOD KFC-1093PS I just google shopped them and they are a little more at most stores. I think stock is 130w 2 way. I threw mine out.
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=KENWOOD+KFC-1093PS&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#client=safari&rls=en&q=KENWOOD+KFC-1093PS&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=shop&source=og&sa=N&tab=wf&ei=84R6T_LFOqLv0gHinpm0Bg&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=ac0341de94128ae9&biw=1922&bih=1064

I should mention I'm not a big music/speaker guy and upgrading the fronts will show the weakness of the rears, but it solves the cover problem and does improve the sound.

·
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Small problem. When I removed the four screws, the speakers would not pop out. Is there another screw I need to use to pop out the speakers?

·
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, finally was able to remove the speakers, however, I cannot matchup the speakers to the screw holes with the Kenwood cover. Without the cover, it matches up fine, with the external cover, I cannot seem to match it up. Any ideas? Here's the one I purchased:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts