The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got a new-to-me Elise:nanner:. Which, of course, means a new set of little issues!:panic: The current one is the passenger side window. It was going up a little crooked, almost getting stuck (the front would be 1/2-1" lower than the back). I tried checking the accessible adjustment screws and they all seem tight. I then took the door panel off and everything in there that I could see seems tight as well (didn't change anything). It worked the same (crooked) for a bit, now it will only go down a little bit in the front and then it stops (before the back part even loses contact with the roof/seal). Any ideas on what I could adjust? Or is this likely to be something I can't fix? I really hope it's not something expensive; I might just have to live with a non-rolling-down passenger window for a while.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll have to check for white plastic thingies.

I can't get to that screw, since I can't roll the window down! :panic: At least, if I'm understanding where it should be.:confused:

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
I can't get to that screw, since I can't roll the window down! :panic: At least, if I'm understanding where it should be.:confused:
There is also one of those screws in the rear window channel as well which of course is covered by your window right now. These screws have a tendency to back out and wedge the window in the tracks. I hope these screws are not your problem, or you will be in for a lot of disassembly in order to remove the window to gain access to the screws :(

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know the one in the rear is tight, since I checked it when I had the window down. I didn't know there was one up front, too, or I would have checked it. Bah...

At least it's the passenger side. I don't *really* need that window down, do I...

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
If you don't find one of those plastic clips to be the culprit, it is possible someone over adjusted the adjustment screws for the window channels in an attempt quiet a rattle and ended up causing the window to bind and/or get stuck in the channels (wouldn't be the first time this has happened). Maybe try changing the adjustment on those screws (lower part of the door) and have an assistant wiggle the window forward and back in the door channels while you try the up/down switch. If the window drops back down into the door, check the tightness of the forward channel screw that Dasmoofler is pointing to in the above post and then work on the adjustment screws until the window moves smoothly without binding. Good luck!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ended up taking it in to Lotus of Durham this morning (after trying to fix it myself and messing up a couple inches of the seal on the inside front--it doesn't lay flat there now, I wonder if a bit of heat will help flatten it out?) They fixed it quickly and didn't charge me since I just bought the car there.:up::clap:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, it worked fine for a while. I thought they said they'd put some loctite or something on the screws so they won't back out again, but my window has the same issues again. :panic: This can't be a TADTS can it? My other one didn't have this issue!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts