The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let say you have the Passport SRX installed in you vehicle. This radar system is now a intergral and non removable system in your car. If I wanted to drive through VA I would be in violation of their radar detector law, however I cant remove the radar and it was not illegal to install in my state. How would that be handled? They can not bar me from entering the state nor can I remove the detector, so would they still be able to fine me for something that was legally installed and a permanant part of my car? Of course we are assuming they even notice it at all.

·
Registered
206 Posts
A number of years ago my father was pulled over in a similiar situation in a state that had outlawed radar detectors. As I remember it, the cop's position was that the detector had to be physically disconnected from the power source (ie fuse pulled or bettery disconnected) for it to be okay, just having it turned off didn't count. Those states are pretty serious about it too with the radar detector-detectors and the like so be careful. The laws may have changed but I doubt it and I would bet that the technology to detect our toys has gotten better.

Someone please offer a more current example as mine may well be quite out of date.

Jim

·
Registered
677 Posts
1FASTMX5 said:
Let say you have the Passport SRX installed in you vehicle. This radar system is now a intergral and non removable system in your car. If I wanted to drive through VA I would be in violation of their radar detector law, however I cant remove the radar and it was not illegal to install in my state. How would that be handled? They can not bar me from entering the state nor can I remove the detector, so would they still be able to fine me for something that was legally installed and a permanant part of my car? Of course we are assuming they even notice it at all.
Radar detectors emit RF ... As long as the power is disconnected the unit will not be detected.

I wouldn't put it past an officer to try and write a citation though ... Even one that wouldn't hold up in court due to lack of evidence.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Is a radar detector violation in one of these states a moving violation (i.e. would it affect your auto insurance if you paid it)?

·
Registered
413 Posts
In VA they will definitely give you a citation, if they catch you. $40 fine + $57 court costs. No points on your license (not a moving violation) but it DOES appear on your driving record (at least if you're a VA resident). uhh... so I am told. ;)

I would say if you PLAN on speeding in VA to take your risks- a detector violation is cheaper in fines (and down-the-road insurance hikes) than a speeding ticket.

If you're gonna cruise legally thru the Commonwealth, (as I ALWAYS do now, Your Honor) then just disconnect the power source.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
DCNSX said:
then just disconnect the power source.
Yep...

But if for some reason you are stopped and they search your car and you have one accessible in the car, they might be able to hassle you. Kind of like having an unloaded gun in the car - even an unloaded one cannot be accessible.

By the way, as far as I know, Virginia is the only state that currently outlaws detectors (I don't remember if DC does). It is not illegal to own a detector in Virginia, just to use one. If they catch you using one, they may take it as evidence, but, contrary to the beliefs of many, they have to give it back...

There was one guy however that beat the law in Virgina some time back - he had one of the detectors that indicated roadside hazards, and argued that his detector was used as a safety warning device. The fact that Virginia does not have any of the transmitters that alert drivers of wrecks, construction, etc. was ignored by the judge. The fact that the guy was a former cop (small town police chief, if I remember) was not...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
413 Posts
guns vs. detectors in VA

ah, Tim, but we CAN have accessible guns in an auto in VA, as long as it is not a HANDgun. Notice all the rifle racks in pickup trucks during hunting season.

And, as noted in recent Washington Post articles, it IS perfectly legal to walk around with a holstered sidearm (i.e. handgun) in any public place, restaurant, store- you name it. Kind of sets some people on edge. Even the local cops didn't know it was legal and had to return a confiscated handgun after checking with their superiors. To carry a CONCEALED handgun, you must have a permit. An un-concealed handgun, no permit necessary.

So there ya have it: In VA: holstered handguns in public? YES
radar detectors? NO.

·
Registered
313 Posts
WAIT

please check my post under speaker upgrades and use a valentine------the remote passport,while better than nothing,just cant compare with the valentine!!!! and mine can be disconnected at the mirror!!!!!! Lwein

1 - 9 of 9 Posts