The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm having trouble with the right, pax, side window lift. It's been "slow" since I acquired the '98 Esprit couple months ago.

It stopped working, not lifting, does lower, after washing so I thought perhaps dampness was preventing it from working correctly (there were a few damp spots in cabin).
A couple days of Damp-Rid buckets sucked up an amazing amount of moisture and odor; highly recommended; then the lift began to work, for a while.
Maybe coincidence, don't really know for sure.:confused:

However its back to not working. I can hear a click sound from inside the door; question, does the '98 have lift relays? or is the entire current load still pulled through the panel switch?
I lubed the window track (after it stopped working :mad:)

I fully disassembled the door, which is a bit of a misnomer, even fully disassembled there's still a lot unseen and mostly inaccessible area. Ran my hand around inside the cavity
and found this rattling around, obviously broken (whatever "this" is); anyone recognize it?:shrug:

Attachments

·
98 Esprit V8 Calypso Red
310 Posts
This is the window guide rail. It's part of the window mechanism & they fail over time. Just replace this part & you should be good. I actually have an extra one if you would like to buy it. Shoot me a pm if you're interested.

Alan

·
Registered
480 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2001 Esprit, JAE sells a replacement part for around $12.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for all the info. I got in touch with Jeff/JAE and he said there are three guides per door. Not knowing which one(s) are broken, I placed an order for two. Now to figure out how to get them in. That will probably be more fun than installing an air filter on a V8... another thread... I'll post a status update when its complete.

Oh !! and the relay question! does anyone know if the '98 MY has lift relays to shunt the high motor current around the dash switch? I know adding relays is a somewhat common upgrade, I'm just not sure if the V8 series already has them OEM.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
I just ordered one of these in anticipation of needing to see in small places how to do things like door work on my V8 -- my V8 that is finally going to arrive next week:

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Registered
224 Posts
You don't need a camera ( well maybe after the tenth time of dropping the socket ) you need a child's hands!

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the broken part I found was the window guide. I ordered new ones, re-opened my pax side door and discovered the fitted guides were all OK. The broken piece was probably just a "leftover" from a previous repair.

My window still does not lift; nor does it lower... just clicks...

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
To answer your original question(s), the V8 does use two relays for each window, one for up and one for down.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To answer your original question(s), the V8 does use two relays for each window, one for up and one for down.
Thanks for the confirmation. I'll check the relay using the direct battery connect method during my conjugal visit this weekend.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I disconnected the relays then immediately reconnected them... It then began working.
Perhaps corrosion on the connector block.

However the window track in door frame is all mangled, twisted and folded. I ordered replacement material from JAE.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmm... Darn thing stopped working... again.

Once more, I disassembled the door and made sure the tracks for the internal guides (see original photo for an image of a broken one) were clean of debris and well lubed.

There seemed to be a bit of gummy material in the tracks... perhaps 14 year old grease with dust. I scraped this out and hosed it down with spray graphite powder lube so as to minimize collection of dust and other unwanted material. Seems to work pretty well now; next step is to replace the window frame seal.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
good advice; it stopped again.... I'll be replacing both relays, up and down circuits.

Thanks
Installed new relays.

Same behavior. Sometimes works; mostly doesn't... Only clicks. No grunting from motor.
However, when it moves, it seems to move well.
I'm starting to think its a voltage drop because of bad ground.

Also, removed motor. It's a GM part:

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1364823628.302714.jpg

by Bosch:

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1364823650.085042.jpg

Top of motor has a rubber gasket that does not appear to seal around axle housing..
I suppose it seals against the motor mount/frame in door. Which is impossible to see.
The axle of armature wobbles around.. Nothing seems to fix it in place...

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1364823860.768446.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I've seen that happen before and I think it has something to do with the wiring harness where it goes through and into the door. I could play with the wires and connector and it would start working again. Never spent the time to investigate further....

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Installed new relays.

Same behavior. Sometimes works; mostly doesn't... Only clicks. No grunting from motor.
However, when it moves, it seems to move well.
I'm starting to think its a voltage drop because of bad ground.

Also, removed motor. It's a GM part:

View attachment 209193

by Bosch:

View attachment 209201

Top of motor has a rubber gasket that does not appear to seal around axle housing..
I suppose it seals against the motor mount/frame in door. Which is impossible to see.
The axle of armature wobbles around.. Nothing seems to fix it in place...

View attachment 209209

Get a new motor, it shouldn't wobble.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I believe there are replacement plastic bearings available for the motors.... the rails on my S4 were so sticky, seemed more like glue than grease - removed and used mobile one synthetic grease. Mine had one broken puck(wheel). I was real concerned on popping the ball back in the puck, since all you have to apply pressure from is the back of the glass in its rail. I spent hours worring about it, then finally said f it, and grabbed a pair of channel locks, and it poped right in. (greased the ball with the above grease too) I waited for a warm day, that probably helped.

The pucks are like $5 each from jae, I bought 6.

Brian

·
Registered
252 Posts
re-grease before they fail

I believe there are replacement plastic bearings available for the motors.... the rails on my S4 were so sticky, seemed more like glue than grease - removed and used mobile one synthetic grease. Mine had one broken puck(wheel). I was real concerned on popping the ball back in the puck, since all you have to apply pressure from is the back of the glass in its rail. I spent hours worring about it, then finally said f it, and grabbed a pair of channel locks, and it poped right in. (greased the ball with the above grease too) I waited for a warm day, that probably helped.

The pucks are like $5 each from jae, I bought 6.

Brian
One of my glides just broke, too (they're $7.30 now). I would recommend everyone re-grease their window slides before the plastic parts fail. My grease was also like glue. It takes about 10 minutes per door.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts