The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody going to the PCA AutoX at El Toro Sunday????????

I have recently discovered the OCR region lets non P cars run their autoX's unlike the SDR. This is very cool, since they appear to have one event per month.

I have never run at El Toro, I bet the course will be wild with all that space

anybody run autoX at El Toro B4?:panic::nanner::coolnana:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Do you have to join the PCA to run?
technically they say you do have to join. But they have never checked or asked for my membership card or proof at the OC PCA events. At the San Diego PCA events they check everytime...

I've been to several at El Toro - I'm not going to the one this Sunday but probably will at one of the next ones. Really is a lot of fun up there. Since the air strip is flat you don't have the uphill/downhill, on camber off camber stuff you get at qualcomm and other places which is good or bad depending on how you like it.

Only negative is, for San Diego guys, factoring in the drive to and from, etc, it makes for a really long day. The last one i went to i was up at 6am and didn't get back until close to 7pm!

Have fun up there this Sunday!!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
event report

yes it was a long day but very fun. I left the house at 6am and got home at 7pm. The X class (non porsches) was the largest field including 6 vettes, 2 ferarri F430's, an evo, 2 S2000's, 2 miatas,, 23 total cars. There were at least 110 cars there total.

The deal is almost all the X class drivers are SCCA people who are in general very good and use the OCR to practice. X class had the top 4 times of the day with 6 drivers in the 50's and only 2 Pcar drivers in the 50's! :bow:

easily the X class was the most competitive. I was 16th out of 23 cars in X, probably in the 40 percentile for all cars. I am (slowly) getting faster and didn't hit any cones on my timed runs. I am finally getting to really accept the whole "slow in fast out" concept. Working the corners you really get to see the differences between the fast guys and the others.

The event was increadible well organized, the lunch was excellent, the people were friendly and not cliquey at all. I am going to go to every event I can to run the elise. The course was designed very well with some fast sections where I got into 3rd and 2-180 hairpins. The grip is great on the runways, no poles and lots of runoff room if you need it. I also got very many compliments on the car and lots of lookers to "check one of these Lotus out". Very cool.

The instructor I had was top notch and helped me a ton. He was very verbal "Gas [email protected]! "Brake hard NOW!" "Smooth out here" I really clicked with him.

We got 2 practice runs with 4 runs each and 4 timed runs.

Damn I am getting very addicted to this AutoX thing. its a freeking BLAST!:panic:

What tire pressure are you guys running?????? Inquiring minds want to know.

I went in 33psi front 35 rear cold and they went up about 4~5psi right after a run group but I dont have a pyrometer (yet).

I NEED R tires!!

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Maybe come out to a San Diego SCCA event at Qualcomm?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the option forged wheels on a non sport package car with the stock advans. I am told getting r compound tires shaves a good 2~3 seconds off your times. I'd say a good 35~40% of the runners were on them it looked like.

Randy,
I went to the recent SCCA autoX school at qualcomm. It was fun. When I had the boxster I went to the PCA driving school and 1 autoX at the Q, and have gone to one BMWCCA autoX in my M3 there too.

I would like to do SCCA at Qualcomm but I am confused about what to join? For the school you joined SCCA for the day, but they told me you need to join SCCA and then another local autoX club to run with them, and get a SD solo2 card as well...it seemed confusing to me. Clue me in on what to join and how!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
haha I thought you were supposed to jack the pressures up for autoX??

so lower is better for the elise??

The autoX schools I attended suggested the high 30's as targets for hot pressures but that advice is not "car specific"

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
SteveW who won the SK1 class here in LA a few years ago used ADO7s and ran what Lotus recommends cold pressure on your door, but hot.

I have R888s on my car and run 25/27 and sometimes 24/26 depending on the surface. The Lotus is super sensitive to tire pressure changes. Also if you haven't taken out the front shims. I highly recommend it to help the car rotate. Have fun!

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
I would like to do SCCA at Qualcomm but I am confused about what to join? For the school you joined SCCA for the day, but they told me you need to join SCCA and then another local autoX club to run with them, and get a SD solo2 card as well...it seemed confusing to me. Clue me in on what to join and how!
You have to belong to SCCA to run an SCCA event (new rule, you used to not have to a member). This then covers the insurance part.

You can do a temp weekend membership for $15 and if you join later, it applies to an annual membership. Annual SCCA membership is $65.

You also have to belong to the San Diego Region Association. This cost covers the equipment we use. I think it is $25 for the year.

There are local clubs that run the events, five of them. You don't have to join them and I would recommend not joining one right away until you decide you want to. The main reason to join is to help put on events, go to dinners, etc. Being in a club means you can run for annual trophy points.

The charge to run for the day is $25. Practice days will give you more runs and cost a little more but require advance sign up (see San Diego SCCA )

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
And taking out the shims is easy. I can help you do that if you need help.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
And taking out the shims is easy. I can help you do that if you need help.
+1
I'm not a wrencher, but I was told how do take them out and did them in the parking lot just before a autox.

BTW have Randy drive your car if you can with you as a passenger. You won't be able to go quite as fast as him, but he'll show you just how fast your car can go. This will help you go faster in the fast zones and slower in the slow zones.

·
Registered
381 Posts
AutoX Qualcomm!

I'm so excited for AutoX weekend July 11-12 Qualcomm! Racing the Noble, baby! Woot Woot! :nanner::coolnana::nanner2:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts