The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets pretend for a moment that a little birdie dropped a PDF of the manual onto this forum. Could that birdie get into trouble. What if it accidentally was picked up by someone who would host this file. What if the file was like 30mb? Anyone know of a way to accidentally send this PDF to someone who would accidentally host it?

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
That's a lot of accidents involving birdies. But I don't see why it would violate the copyright. It's not like it's being reproduced for sale or other purposes.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
czvezdah scanned a few pages of the manual and posted them a long time ago...they're still up AFAIK.

don't think anyone got any flak over it

but I wouldn't do it

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
the owners manual - no problems, the service manual ?? not so sure.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
EliseTalk could get in trouble for hosting such a file, so you'd best look elsewhere (though I doubt you'll find any shortage of volunteers for that).

I doubt there'd be any problem with a thread here that told people where they could download such a file. It's not something that could be used for any commercial gain; the only people who could really make use of such a document are the ones who have or will have a copy of that document sitting in the trunk of their Elise.

Posting a page or two directly on EliseTalk is not something that would cause trouble, it's comparable to photocopying a page to give to a friend. There's a big difference between that and a complete manual.

Tip for accidentally sharing it: accidentally save the file in a folder on your computer that a peer to peer file sharing program is monitoring.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I posted links to two sites that had the service manuals and parts manual for the European s2 on the old Lotus Forum and then Lotus contacted the people and made them take them off of their sites.:mad:

And all I was doing was trying to help a guy find a part for the key and ignition on an Esprit. He contacted his dealer and they were unable to help him. I thought if he looked at the Elise ones, he could tell if they were similar.

I didnt realize that Lotus UK sells the service and parts manuals for a couple hundred bucks...oops...I printed it out and it is over 400 pages and half of it has to do with all of the UK Rover engine mechanical stuff. You would think they would want to publish the parts manuals for free. This way we could tell the dealer exactly what we needed, since most of us know more about cars that the average person and it would save the dealerships the hassle fo having to look up part numbers when we went in to order them.

I bought a Mercury Cougar a few years ago and they even had a PDF file of the owners manual right on their website that you could download, along with those of other Ford and Mercury cars, so I dont see what the hassle is.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
There's a big difference between owner's manual & service manual. I can only imagine the headache dealer service would have when a bunch of book-knowledge service manual owners started telling them how to do their jobs.

That said, nearly $700 for a set of service manuals seems a bit pricey.

·
Registered
970 Posts
plesset said:
Lets pretend for a moment that a little birdie dropped a PDF of the manual onto this forum. Could that birdie get into trouble. What if it accidentally was picked up by someone who would host this file. What if the file was like 30mb? Anyone know of a way to accidentally send this PDF to someone who would accidentally host it?

copycat!!!....:D :D

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8023

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya I saw that thread but it seemed to be a dead end in finding a PDF of the manual. To me, having the manual in an electronic format is a real convenience. Its a shame that it seems to be a legal issue but in reality I can understand why Lotus would get upset. I am shocked to see that the service manuals are $700. The service manuals for my NSX were like $100. What gives? Does anyone know if Lotus sells the owners manual separately? If so I can understand not wanting a PDF version floating around. If not then I can't see the harm.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
>Does anyone know if Lotus sells the owners manual separately?

Yes. I had to buy one. $160 and took one week to arrive. Came with the little service booklet too.

-doma

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
doma said:
Yes. I had to buy one. $160 and took one week to arrive. Came with the little service booklet too.
Why'd you have to buy one? They are supposed to come with the car...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts