The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rained today ... and my 2012 evora had something pealing off the headlights ... anyone had this? It appears to be a clear dried up plastic.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
I bought my Evora brand new and had the dealer sub out a group to slap some 3M protection on my headlights because i heard of everyone's peeling. I havent had an issue at all. I definitely recommend it, ESPECIALLY if you're out of warranty or soon to be out of warranty.

·
Registered
795 Posts
It's the factory clearcoat. It's crap. Don't bother messing with the dealer unless you don't mind making a lot of trips back and forth. Lotus doesn't have a solution. Go to a good body shop and have them wet sand and re-clear the lamps. It's well worth the money IMO.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Have it on my Exige too. Noticed it when I peeled off TrakTape.

·
Vendor
359 Posts
Rained today ... and my 2012 evora had something pealing off the headlights ... anyone had this? It appears to be a clear dried up plastic.
Since the Evora headlamps are non existent as well, we have been doing a wetsand, buff, wax, sealer, then give people the option to have them cleared or 3m applied.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I think all owners should take this precaution. I haven't noticed pealing, but I have witnessed condensation. I saw that these lamps costs over 2k to replace.

·
Vendor
359 Posts
I think all owners should take this precaution. I haven't noticed pealing, but I have witnessed condensation. I saw that these lamps costs over 2k to replace.
Yes, that is correct. We have probably done 10-11 sets of headlamps over the winter.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Had mine replaced earlier this week, under warranty. If the peeling happens again in three years, I might consider putting on a different clear coat.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
I have had no peeling because I put a film on top. It has also protected from rock chips etc.
Did the same a Plack. MY11 after 2 years no pealing or chips. :clap:

·
Registered
64 Posts
for those looking at Xpel covers

these covers are nice and thick, and generally easy to apply. however, on the evora, which has a long headlight assembly, it is not easy to apply the film without some resulting imperfections. smaller lamps that are more on the vertical are much more forgiving in this regard. for those who've never done it, do it in the hot sun. get the lamps nice and warm, and lay out the film for awhile to pre-heat. you will also need a heat gun or good hair dryer; alternatively you can lay the film with its protective backing still on, over an electric space heater...keeps them nice and pliable. buy or make some alcohol based positioning spray. spray the lens liberally and use the included hard plastic tool to apply the film, moving in as smooth, deliberate and continuous motion as you can. again, this is not easy on the Evora, and having another set of hands is invaluable. the hotter the film is, the fewer undesirable marks you will have. park the car in the sun and work out any bubbles that remain. the lenses will continue to dry over a couple of days typically, improving the overall appearance.

personally, i'm not a fan of Xpel on these lamps due to their geometry. my OCD eye will just be drawn to any flaws, install marks, etc. better to use a thinner film or let a pro do it if you have any reservations.

my solution was to coat the lamps with Liquid Armor, which i re-apply every 6 months or so....seems to be working fine.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Had mine replaced earlier this week, under warranty. If the peeling happens again in three years, I might consider putting on a different clear coat.
Hi. Did you use Scottsdale Maserati? I heard they were doing Lotus work on a case by case basis.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Hi. Did you use Scottsdale Maserati? I heard they were doing Lotus work on a case by case basis.
Yes, I did. The headlights were ordered before they closed, so they said they were able to do the work. Have you been to the new dealership? Man, I've never seen so many Ferraris all in one place, and all for sale.

·
Registered
857 Posts
This thread spurred me to make an appointment with the local clear bra guy to do a custom wrap of the headlights. Being 4 hours away from the nearest dealer motivates me to stay on top of the preventative maintenance for all of the Evora's little quirks.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Yes, I did. The headlights were ordered before they closed, so they said they were able to do the work. Have you been to the new dealership? Man, I've never seen so many Ferraris all in one place, and all for sale.
Yes. I was there in December and then again in January to have a BOE CAI installed.

I heard Lotus is still willing to have them do warranty work on a case-by-case basis but it was the dealers decision not to. Glad to heard they're still doing it. Maybe there's hope. I think sales didn't meet Penske's expectation but they weren't sitting idle on service jobs.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Gator,

If you don't mind sharing, how much do you charge to do a set of Elise headlamp covers?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts