The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Has anyone had this before? Just noticed it today

Yes, after I smashed it. :rolleyes: Replacements are $50 & are a very simple job. Just pull it out, unhook connector, & plug in new one & push into mounting hole & you are done!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ramtin it's a 2013 model

@missileman did you get the replacement from the lotus dealer or you can find it in any audio shop?

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Grey
977 Posts
How hard were you making the stereo work to cause that? Now I'm going to have to go look at mine...

·
Premium Member
8,166 Posts
Looks like a blown cone?? May be a defective speaker cone. Easy replacement!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys, I got new speakers (or tweeters as their called) and I tried replacing this one but do I need to remove any parts of the dash? This is on the right side on a left hand drive car. Tried pulling it out but theres a part where the white connector won't come out. Seems like I need to remove some parts of the dash to get it done. But before I do that how did you guys remove yours? Or just tug as hard as possible to get it out?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
posting this here for the greater group consumption. The white plug is only a few inches off of the crossover, which is hidden up against the chassis below the a pillar, underneath the leather panel that goes from the door sill to the dash panel. Same on both sides, and same on both sides, removal of this panel (if my memory serves me correct) requires removing the door sill, the knee pad (up under the dash or steering wheel, held in place by two allen bolts) and then the screws/trim clips will be visible, and that panel comes right out.

The wiring runs from the tweeter, down through the rubber grommets/hose that goes through the AC ducting, and through an access port that is hidden unless you have that panel off to the crossover. The rubber tubing that is in the AC ducting appears to be heat shrink IIRC, so I am not sure even if you disassembled the panels, unplugged the clip, you could readily pull the wiring up through without damaging this tubing. FWIW when I replaced my stereo with better speaker wire and new drivers throughout, I didn't bother using heat shrink tubing to cover the wire running through it.

That leaves you with two options-remove the tubing, after which youll see the black/red wiring if you look up the AC duct (not really noticeable unless you're looking for it) or you could try to redo the heatshrink tubing (not that hard really), or you can cut the wiring and resolder into the old wiring-you could likely accomplish this without taking anything apart besides pulling the tweeter out.

In this pic, if you look closely, you can see the white connector hanging through the dash hanging just above the crossover. I had cut the tweeter wiring at this point so there is no tweeter at the other end.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts