The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I didn't think much of it when I saw the CarFax, but after wading through LT over the past couple weeks, I saw some references to "Chinese Evoras". Apparently, the 2011 that I put a deposit on is one of those Evoras. Should I care?

I can still bail out on the deal. Is this a reason to consider doing that. Should I try to renegotiate the price? The car has pretty much been around the world - most of it on a boat, I know - but could there be longer term issues as a result.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Just confirm it should have a 2 year warranty as of your date of purchase. That was the deal with those cars. Also, make sure the dealer does a pre purchase inspection to make sure all the buttons and controls work and the battery is good. That should be done on any Evora and not just the Chinese ones.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has 8K miles on it and the battery was replaced once. The dealer said that it still had 13 months on the warranty. I'm not sure if that was some extended warranty the previous owner had, as it would be beyond the 2yr warranty (original sale was April 2012).

It seemed fine when I test drove it - including some highway miles - but it wasn't more than a 20 mile trip. Just knowing it went from England to Hong Kong to California is a little worrisome. Or is it?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I believe Hong Kong is like UK, right hand drive. Is yours a left hand drive ?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Per whatsideoftheroad.com (no lie there's a site by that name), China drives on the right, like us, but Hong Kong is on the left side of the road.

The car I'm looking to buy is set up like a normal car sold in the US, so I guess it was destined for somewhere in China?

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
If sold in April of 2012 I don't think it is a traditional 'Chinese Evora'. Those 26 cars came back late 2013. It just had a similar world travel experience.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was imported from HK to CA in December 2010. Is this one of those 26? The VIN is SCCLMDTU9BHA11317

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do most cars shipped from Hethel to the US go through East coast ports? Or do those bound for the West coast go the other way?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Could you use the knowledge as a negotiating tool?

Perhaps mention your concern about replacing hoses/boots/any rubber item?

Personally..... I WOULD proceed around high forties instead of mid fifties but I'm no expert.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
The "Chinese cars" were fully gone through and upgraded (with recalls etc) in the US before they went on sale.

They were US spec cars shipped to china as part of one of Danys deals but it fell through and the cars sat there until they decided to send them to the US, remove the Chinese badging etc and perform all the recalls so they could be sold as new with warranties

If your car came here in 2010 it is definitely not one of the "Chinese cars". I don't know why it would have come through HK but the Chinese cars did not get here until sometime late in 2012 at the earliest but I want to say it may have been 13 before they were here.

I wouldn't be surprised if it just happened to be shipped that way as it was the only ship available at the time when it needed to go.

There is nothing wrong with the "Chinese Evoras" and I would say they're probably a better buy than a new leftover "US" 11 as they have been sorted (for sure) and have a 2 year warranty.

Lotus imports through both coasts - Baltimore and LA - mine (from lotus of pittsburgh) came thru LA??

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Do most cars shipped from Hethel to the US go through East coast ports? Or do those bound for the West coast go the other way?
My 2011 went from Hethel to the Port of Felixstowe, then shipped to Hong Kong, changed ships and sent to Long Beach Ca., up to Oakland Ca., then back down to the Port of San Diego in National City. 8 weeks in transit !!

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I've heard that Lotus regularly ships to US using the Eastern route. Though its the longer way logistics costs may actually be lower.

So, it would seem your car just took that route and has nothing to do with the "Chinese Evoras." Only issue with these was that they were standing around quite long before being sold, which isn't good good to any new car.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I was under the impression that the Chinese cars were new and had 0 or very low miles. I don't think the car you're looking at is a Chinese car.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all!...I'm feeling much better about things now and it seems that my car isn't a "Chinese Evora" shipping via Hong Kong isn't unusual.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
My 2011 was built in July of 2010 but did not reach the dealer till February 2012. my invoice and certificate of provenance both show my dealer was the first dealer to receive the car. the car did come through the Port of San Diego and was one of 21 cars that received the port installed black package. I'm pretty sure it does not take 18 months to get that installed :shrug:
Where it was all that time is a mystery. I purchased the car new with 37 miles on the clock.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My 2011 "Chinese Evora" had 4 miles on the clock when I purchased it from Abe. He had a few others and all had under a couple hundred miles. Doesn't seem yours is one of these. Good luck....Oh, Chinese Evora....recommended if you can find one.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys! I was getting worried there for a bit, but it seems like it's no big deal...and almost seems like it would be good to get one of the Chinese Evoras, knowing that they've had all the various known issues addressed.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I agree. Find a Chinese Evora if you can and if it has the specs you like since it will have lower mileage and a full 2 year warranty.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts