The Lotus Cars Community banner
201 - 220 of 1186 Posts

·
You can't make this up
1983 Turbo Esprit
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
The guy's that helped me were from 'Advanced Auto Parts" and yes some are to lazy to go the extra mile. There is no challenge to their job to push them. If you should find a place with a person who really care's and want's to help go there!

Robert
Agreed,, My Advance store has a guy that goes the extra step and sells me at jobber rates. They have been working with me since I started this project in October. Kinda funny he says, Lotus? I nod and say we are making it ahead slowly but surely. :UK:

·
You can't make this up
1983 Turbo Esprit
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 · (Edited)
Cleaned all the light sockets and replaced all the ground clips in the rear lights. They were a corroded mess. We found a mouse nest above the left rear light in the car body. Penelope certainly had free boarders at one time in her history. Nothing new but they had quite a few places they set up home in over they years. The lights are all in order next visit is the directional control itself. I cant seem to get the bug out of the directional. I got a feeling the corrosion I found in the emergency flasher and headlights will also be in the control. I was thinking of taking the emergency flasher switch out of the circuit and see what that does. Inch my inch we move forward. Painfully at times but forward none the less
I got a lot of driving time around town in today and watched the fuel pressure gauges. Court is still out on if I can get the tanks cleaned by filter changes and if the carbs will need to be gone through. The fuel starvation is under control now but I am keeping a close eye on the pressure gauges and engine performance. My neighbor and I are thinking about dumping the fuel and doing a vacuum job for any remaining crap in the tanks. I do NOT want to pull those tanks if I can at all avoid it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Also make sure the car isn't running
lean....less fuel and same air = lean running condition.

Good plan on the WP and timing belt....they'll have the
special tools to set the tension just right.

Great work on Penelope....do you have a pic of the
front of the car ? I'm wondering how difficult it is
to change the front bumper. A car I looked at needs
a new one....the one there now is warped from
sun exposure.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,714 Posts
Thanks Mike....
Do the G cars have a tensioner pulley
that often gets replaced along with the
cam belt ?
The turbo cars (with round-toothed timing belts) have the same tensioner as a 4 cylinder Stevens Esprit. It should be checked every t-belt change.
(N/A Esprits with square toothed belts have a spring loaded, locking tensioner.)

I have replaced mine every other T-belt. 'Course if you don't have documentation, it should be replaced. :no:

·
You can't make this up
1983 Turbo Esprit
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
As far as I know this is the Federal wiring, I do know it makes my head hurt tracing the turn signals...
My flasher unit has five pins, the picture shows 4 which might mean one is the ground not shown. Who knows. I haven't been able ti get the directional working right, The hazards yes. I have cleaned and replaced the rear light grounds and cleaned the front light sockets. I even opened up the column and did an inspection on the control lever. Everything looks new. Not sure what to do next. I tried removing the hazard switch from the circuit but the directional wont work without it.
:mad:

·
Dreaded Prior Owner
895 Posts
My OEM flasher unit has only 4 pins, and the socket has no female contact for a center fifth pin, just an empty socket. So (IF 1983 = 1985??)first shot is get or borrow the proper flasher.
If JAE can't get you a 4 pin flasher, perhaps a good search for cross references on the Hella flasher number(s) will come up with another more common eurocar that also uses the same flasher. Seems to me I saw Land Rover and VW associated with the original or superceded number.

Without opening up my dash, and hazard switch to map out the contacts, I hesitate to interpret the wiring diagram, which may or may not relate to what Lotus has done to your car.

From the diagram it would seem that if your Hazards are flashing OK with key off, power is getting to the flasher from the battery (A splice) via hazard switch pins (8>6?) and the unit does pulse the power to pin 49a. This pin looks to be where the split occurs to also send pulsed power to the directional switch. The hazard switch also has a splice D (IGN) input at pin 7, and I would guess when the hazards are Off, that is supposed to run power to the flasher (pin 7>6?). Left / Right switching is after the flasher, so I assume it should only click with a load at 49a either through the turn signal switch (I assume a normally open SPDT?) or the hazard On position. If it's clicking all the time with the key on I would look for a short or load to ground from 49a onwards.

An alarm that accessed the turn signals to trip the hazards comes to mind for a possible fault source.

The far side of the Pecktron inverter goes to splice G, which is also fed by splice D, ignition switch "run" position, and could possibly be passing power to the flasher somehow. but seems too awkward for even the Prince of Darkness to feed power to the flasher that way. Perhaps a failure point?

·
You can't make this up
1983 Turbo Esprit
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 · (Edited)
Culprit

My inspiration,, the whale bone widdler, SNOWRX, He had the clue to solving the problem. I thought about his post and the fact that I new the power for everything ultimately went though the hazard switch. A long day of searching hedged my bet,, there are no hazard switches which should never fail because they don't really get used. Sooo Lucas built junk. Cheap to fill a seldom used part. Problem was in the never used position it was completely under load at all times. (very smart or dumb engineer) depending on which end of the cash register you are on. Also explains why there are none available. So who has a 3D printer,, we can save the worlds hazard switches, Here is what I found and why my directional don't work, they are getting back-feed. Which might make one think of a diode on a much simpler scale. Mechanical fulcrum. I like my Snowrx story better then this,, but I believe my problem is solved,, take a bow mate and do you happen to have any spare whale bone mate?????

Attachments

·
Dreaded Prior Owner
895 Posts
Have fun whittlin' there, Penelope!
Unless you have access to an high end model that can print nylon or better, I think a 3D print is going to break in such a small section.
A metal rocker is going to need at least spot insulation to isolate the switching functions. I dremeled away at a piece of high density fibreglass from a road sign until it worked for me. But if you insist on whalebone......

Not sure what would be stout enough to cast one from if you use your original to make a mold.......

TR7 hazard switches look the same, but the ones I've seen have less pins so I've not taken a chance on a buy, but maybe the rocker is usable?

Buy some time by cramming a separate parts store flasher on each circuit until you find a better solution, at least you can drive it some after all the work you've done.

<post 157?>

·
You can't make this up
1983 Turbo Esprit
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
I am repairing what I have and its looking pretty good so far. I also ordered a new switch from UK from a Land Rover Defender it is Lucas part number YUF101490 Which has a similar switch, size and correct pin set up. I may be able to make one out of both of them or switch the harness about if necessary. it looks good so far

·
Registered
952 Posts
This brings back memories from when I got my black '83. Eventually you get through everything that has been neglected over the years and they turn out to be pretty reliable as long as you keep using them. Of course, once you have one done, you can't let that knowledge just lay there - you get another one...

·
You can't make this up
1983 Turbo Esprit
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
This brings back memories from when I got my black '83. Eventually you get through everything that has been neglected over the years and they turn out to be pretty reliable as long as you keep using them. Of course, once you have one done, you can't let that knowledge just lay there - you get another one...
Oh my two Esprits Lock me up

·
You can't make this up
1983 Turbo Esprit
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
Well,, The fix worked fine but there is still and issue with the switch. I had to manually break a contact to make it function properly. So there is still an issue to be dealt with. I ordered a new Land Rover Defender switch which has seven pins and a used flasher unit from UK. It appears to be a close match. Back to the drawing board. It appears I may have to re-position some of the pins and will see once the switch gets here.
I ordered new carpet from Coverdale also in Wessel wool in a gray color. It should look good with the black interior. I will have to have the handbrake cut in here as they have had problems in the past with US cars with fit up. The car is put up now to deal with the cooling fans,, The saga continues,, She is in a heated garage and resting comfortably. After the holidays it will be timing belt time.

·
You can't make this up
1983 Turbo Esprit
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
Fan motors

It has been a tough go with the flashers and the hazard switch so I was really in need of some positive outcomes on other repairs to get me back in the grove. It happened tonight.
First success was simple and bloody easy. The reverse light switch had a broken post and I bought a new one from RD Ent and installed it. The lights came on and I thought okay the tune up on the back lights and grounds paid off. Easy fix in the bag.
Stepped back and took a minute and heard the fire trucks coming doing the annual Santa run for the kids through the neighborhood. I ran out and waited for them to show up ( I am a member of the company and will be doing the ritual Friday night) I told Santa (aka Rich and Mrs Claus his wife Sandy) what I wanted. One Red Ferrari 328GTB a home on the beach in Costa Rica, A new paint job for my Lotus and a rich man on his death bed to leave his large estate, My mortgage paid off and a nice Pantera. I got a candy cane, that cheap F,er.
So fix number two. I have to admit I avoided these cooling fans for the radiator. So tonight Penelope is back in the air and I dove in head first. I took out the bad right fan and notice it had a newer tag on it (bad sign). then I pulled out the center fan. I removed the bladed from both and threw them in the sink to clean out the dirt on the backside. The center motor looked older. Much older at that. Somebody played here before when the car was in storage and it doesn't look good. Maybe someone was swapping parts out which explains other items that don't look like they came from this car. I bench tested them and they didn't work again so I pulled the good one apart. First time doing that ever and it was more difficult then I imagined. It was a mess inside on the housing. They were corroded bad and the brushes looked good but the shaft ends were all gummed up like the light switches were. I took a dremel with a sanding pad on slow speed and cleaned everything up. I also took 400 wet and dry on the shaft ends to get some light contamination off them. Then everything got sprayed down with Berkebile and air gun spray off. Once cleaned I put light coat of dialectic on the three housing and put it back together. I but it back in the vice and tested it again,,, SUCCESS finally the cooling fans are going in the right direction. I will take step by step picture this weekend of the third one and post them and also the repairs I do to the damaged motor as court is out on that if it is salvageable.:tadts:

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,714 Posts
Reactions: Turbo R

·
You can't make this up
1983 Turbo Esprit
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
201 - 220 of 1186 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.