The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you with Penskes, have you ever had a problem getting the front end low enough?

I have tried with both the Hypercoil 325/450 springs and the stock LSS springs, and even with the top perch on the last couple of threads, I can't get it down to 120mm. I am only using ballast on the drivers side (150 lbs) because I am setting it for autocross.

I can get the LF to about 122mm and the RF to 125mm using the LSS springs and with the hypercoils it is LF 125mm and RF 130mm. I would have to weld the top perch higher up to get it lower, which doesn't make sense.

I have no probem with the rears and can get it down to 110mm if needed.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
My shock travel seems fine on both the hypercoils and stock springs.

The hypercoil spring is 8", and the stock spring is about 8.75"

Even with the 8", there is tonnes of rattle since there is no preload when the perch is at the top. I tried putting it helper spings that I got made by hypercoil which fixed that, but it made it sit even a bit higher.

Ideally i probably need a 7" spring and a helper on the front and 9" spring and helper on the rear. Problem is to get these custom made by hypercoil, it's not cheap and there is no assurance it will be correct when done.

·
Vendor
3,560 Posts
For the BWR Penske's we've used 5" springs in the front and 6" in the rear. We use spacers on the springs. That said, I use 2 x 4" springs stacked on the front with about 1/2" of perch adjustment left on top. Of course the BWR Penske's are a specific body, eyelet, body, and perch setup from Penske.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine are the BWR Penskes. They were one of the first ones built and are SS class legal, so the shock body is the same length as stock.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I'm looking at getting a 6" spring made for the front and 8" for the rear. The 8" front rubs the shock body over bumps. Like you, mine are hypercoils.

I wonder if 2" ID springs would work?

That way you could by off the shelf Hypercoils in 6" for the front and stack two 4" spings in the rear. You could do a 400f/550r in that combo with off the shelf hypercoils if the 2" would fit.

I think they would be OK on the Penske perches, although I am not sure. I don't have any 2" id springs laying around to try.

It's alot cheaper than custom springs. Hypercoil charges $275 per spring for one-offs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.