The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought Penskes from @fzust a few years ago in the group buy. The front driver’s side one is leaking oil. I don’t think I even have 10k miles on these shocks yet. Is this common with Penskes or am I just unlucky? Anyone else have experienced leaky Penske shocks from the group buy? I already emailed Fred to ask his advice on where to send it for service.

·
Administrator
1,540 Posts

·
He's on fire!
3,255 Posts
can you not just send them to fred? BWR services them

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fred emailed me already. He said a little oil weeping from the shaft is normal, but if I see a puddle then I should be concerned.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
41 Posts
My stock front Bilstein shocks are doing the same thing. Sort of looks like brake fluid but the under trays are dry

·
Vendor
3,271 Posts
OK, I get this question a fair bit, so let me address it. Penskes are a hand-built, Race shock. Then they fill them, the shock is upside down. The end cap that the shaft comes out of is pointing up and is out of the body of the shock. Oil is put in until it overflows. Then the shaft and cap assembly(Shaft bearing) are put back in. The O-ring that seals it is on the bottom of that cap i.e. interior to the shock. Then threads for the cap to screw in. When it is screwed in, the oil overflows until the o-ring is fully seated. The remaining overflow oil is wiped off. What about all the oil in the big threads outboard of the o-ring and the end cap? It is still there. That oil weeps, seemingly forever, as temperature changes etc. Perfectly normal. Just wipe the shocks down when you wash the car if it bothers you.

In the event there is a problem or the shocks need servicing, just call us, we'll get you sorted.

Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I get this question a fair bit, so let me address it. Penskes are a hand-built, Race shock. Then they fill them, the shock is upside down. The end cap that the shaft comes out of is pointing up and is out of the body of the shock. Oil is put in until it overflows. Then the shaft and cap assembly(Shaft bearing) are put back in. The O-ring that seals it is on the bottom of that cap i.e. interior to the shock. Then threads for the cap to screw in. When it is screwed in, the oil overflows until the o-ring is fully seated. The remaining overflow oil is wiped off. What about all the oil in the big threads outboard of the o-ring and the end cap? It is still there. That oil weeps, seemingly forever, as temperature changes etc. Perfectly normal. Just wipe the shocks down when you wash the car if it bothers you.

In the event there is a problem or the shocks need servicing, just call us, we'll get you sorted.

Enjoy!
Thanks for the explanation, Fred!

·
Premium Member
335 Posts

Enjoy!

It's damned hard to get that shock oil out of your shirt, jeans and shoes too!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts