The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any meaningful reviews or experiences with Penske single adjustables that are available from BWR.

Doesn't seem like too many members are buying these and if they are there aren't too make pictures or reviews. I was looking at Nitron but for the price and time, Penske's might be a better option.

Anyone?

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,083 Posts
Looking for any meaningful reviews or experiences with Penske single adjustables that are available from BWR.

Doesn't seem like too many members are buying these and if they are there aren't too make pictures or reviews. I was looking at Nitron but for the price and time, Penske's might be a better option.

Anyone?
I have the double-adjustables with the race springs. You need a ride?

San

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have recently installed the single adjustables with 500/700 springs. Replaced the track pack Bilsteins in my S240. Ride quality, particularly harshness over bumps, is at least as good if not better than before, although it definitely has a stiffer feel. The knob adjuster is as easy to get to as the Bilstein, just reach in. The car feels planted and as you can imagine, corners flatter. Beyond that I can't say at this point since I have not had a chance to autox and play with the setup. So far everything is turning out to be just the way Fred said it would be.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,083 Posts
BTW, San did you get the thumb adjuster option?

did you have Nitrons before?
I have the BWR Penske double-adjustables. They don't have a thumb adjuster.

I had Nitron singles before I upgraded. No comparison between the two. The Nitron singles had lower spring rates and were much harsher and not nearly as controlled.

San

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I have the dual adjustable ones and I truly love them and they transformed me car. You can make it ride like a cadillac then crank them up for track duty. I haven't toned them down from my last track day and they still ride better than stock and nice over the bumps

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the double adjustable with track springs also. Penske did a great job with them. I would highly recommend them.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I was able to meet up with oldmansan, who was kind enough to give me a great ride on a mix of bad and good roads. His setup is Penske double adjustable with track springs (550F/800R) My impressions:

-On bad roads with pot holes/dips/bumps/creases, Penske's were rough but not harsh. They took brunt of the bumps but let you know that something was there.
-Quiet on smooth roads, and handled small irregularities in the roads with more composure than LSS Bilstiens (yellow shock). we went over the lane reflectors and it was very smooth still.
-The car was very flat and responsive in hard turns, even on quick slalom style direction changes.

Overall, very livable even on track springs and awesome in spirited driving.

BIG Thanks to San for meeting with me and giving me a great demo of the BWR Penske double adjustables.

·
Vendor
3,138 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, guys! We now have a thumb adjuster option for rebound.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Is the only difference between SA and DA the separation of rebound/compression settings? Are the shock valving/construction and spring options the same

·
Vendor
3,138 Posts
6i9,

The construction is largely the same. The Doubles have black tops vs. Gold on the singles. However the valving is different, it has to be. When you have an open jet connecting rebound and compression in the singles, you dial in an optimum center point and then it just gets stiffer or softer from there. With the doubles we have more flexibility in how we design the curves to get the most out of the car in different conditions.

·
Vendor
3,138 Posts
Hi fzust,

I have a MY2013 Elise CR and I heard the bracket is different from the pre 2011. Does the Penske available with the MY2011 brackets?
I don't think it is a problem, however if you can shoot a picture or 2 of the front upper shock mount and email it to us at Info at blackwatchracing dot com, I'll look at it and let you know. Please shoot driver's side as that is where the ABS mount will be.

·
Registered
143 Posts
well i just got the Penske SA installed and i am seriously impressed. i don't usually write comments but not doing so will not do this suspension justice especially when there is very few reviews about it.

my impression is limited to driving it on terrible pot holed and uneven city streets as we have here in the philippines. yes the suspension is stiff and you can really feel it when you hit a big bump/ hole on the road. but the control is simply amazing. the car is neither jarring nor bouncy, just a comfortable stiff but controlled suspension that is a pleasure to drive on uneven surfaces. you would not know it is riding on such stiff springs if the person didn't tell you. it is way better than the stock bilstein coil overs and would venture to say that this is the best aftermarket suspension i have bought and would rank the way it makes the exige feel (at least on the road) to the RS' of Porsche.

anyway, just wanted to give credit where it is due. thanks Fred and BWR. i made the right choice.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Going Super Street Prepared next season because I can't get front camber in Stock (why does my Elise have to be different?). Not going to be a class-killer at Natioals, but I want to go fast and not spend a fortune cording tires locally. Are Penske spring/damper units the way to go? Single? Double? We mostly run on asphalt here.

·
Premium Member
2,817 Posts
well i just got the Penske SA installed and i am seriously impressed. i don't usually write comments but not doing so will not do this suspension justice especially when there is very few reviews about it.

my impression is limited to driving it on terrible pot holed and uneven city streets as we have here in the philippines. yes the suspension is stiff and you can really feel it when you hit a big bump/ hole on the road. but the control is simply amazing. the car is neither jarring nor bouncy, just a comfortable stiff but controlled suspension that is a pleasure to drive on uneven surfaces. you would not know it is riding on such stiff springs if the person didn't tell you. it is way better than the stock bilstein coil overs and would venture to say that this is the best aftermarket suspension i have bought and would rank the way it makes the exige feel (at least on the road) to the RS' of Porsche.

anyway, just wanted to give credit where it is due. thanks Fred and BWR. i made the right choice.

Would be great to hear from someone that went from Nitron SA to the Penske SA.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
6i9,

The construction is largely the same. The Doubles have black tops vs. Gold on the singles. However the valving is different, it has to be. When you have an open jet connecting rebound and compression in the singles, you dial in an optimum center point and then it just gets stiffer or softer from there. With the doubles we have more flexibility in how we design the curves to get the most out of the car in different conditions.
Asked another way... is the difference between the Penske SA and DA as remarkable a difference as say, Nitron SA to Penske SA? Obviously this is a non-quantitative question, and purely subjective but I am interested in what your perception is.

I want to still be wowed, but not sure I can swing the extra $ for DA.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts