The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2005 Elise for only a few months and most of the times I've driven it haven't involved it getting parked in a public parking lot/garage. Of the the maybe 4 times I have parked it in public, 2 of those times, I've come back to my car to find people admiring and taking pics of it. I knew the car would draw attention, but I was pretty surprised by this happening so often, particularly since I live in Atlanta, which has a lot of nice cars. I'm assuming that if the timing worked out perfectly for me to see them doing it as I was walking back, it much be happening even more often when I'm not seeing it. Do you find this happening often (not just admiring, but taking pics)? I also laugh to myself feeling smarter than everyone else, knowing they are likely walking to their car that cost them more than the Lotus.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I've had my 2005 Elise for only a few months and most of the times I've driven it haven't involved it getting parked in a public parking lot/garage. Of the the maybe 4 times I have parked it in public, 2 of those times, I've come back to my car to find people admiring and taking pics of it. I knew the car would draw attention, but I was pretty surprised by this happening so often, particularly since I live in Atlanta, which has a lot of nice cars. I'm assuming that if the timing worked out perfectly for me to see them doing it as I was walking back, it much be happening even more often when I'm not seeing it. Do you find this happening often (not just admiring, but taking pics)? I also laugh to myself feeling smarter than everyone else, knowing they are likely walking to their car that cost them more than the Lotus.

Yep. I see them taking pics at red lights and in traffic as well.

I’ve had the car a dozen years and it never gets old honestly. I’m glad others think it’s as gorgeous as I do.

My favorite experience was at a gun store I had stopped at a lady came in with her young (7ish) boy and asked who owned the blue car, and if it would be okay for them to take a picture of it. We got the kiddo settled in and mom took pics like he was driving it. Pretty good day for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have the same car. Mine is a 2005 Magnetic Blue as well. I think it's one of, if not the best looking color.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Same here, not a lot of these in Kansas City. In a decade I can count on one hand the number of Lotus I've seen outside of gatherings.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
i always get a chuckle when I'm passing someone and the driver and/or passenger have their phone up and filming my Exige... I like to sit where I can see the car when I eat out just to see how many stop and look at it and/or take pictures of it.

·
Parts Finder
238 Posts
When I had my 1999 Esprit it was crazy!! One very close call were another car in the right lane was looking so hard at my car that he nearly rear ended a parked car in his lane. Many people taking pics and filming at lights. Also the many Cobalts and Neons they would edge me wanting to race at the lights ? tuned twin turbo 550hp against a Cobalt. Can wait to see the reactions to the Exige when it’s done.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Same here. Still happens after a decade plus of ownership. Always oohs and aahs and pics in parking lots or driving down the freeway.

When the wife and I go out for a cruise on a nice day and we take both the Elise and Evora (she typically drives the Evora) I feel like a celebrity rolling down the road with all the paparazzi taking pics. ?

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
This is great!!! Sorry for the poor quality but had to do it fast lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
379 Posts
Same here, not a lot of these in Kansas City. In a decade I can count on one hand the number of Lotus I've seen outside of gatherings.

Hyea! I am in Kansas City at the moment too -- yellow 2005 Elise :) -- there are a few others, I am trying to organize a get-together. My neighbor has a yellow 2006 Exige - we're always looking for others to join us.

·
Registered
7,184 Posts
Reactions: javistor

·
Registered
178 Posts
how about one of your friends/family showing you a pic of your car that one of their friends (who you don't know) sent to them? i've had that happen a few times...
Yep. Just had that happen last week. It was pretty funny.

The only time I get annoyed is when I stop at a light and there's someone still moving behind me who has their phone out taking a picture. I just cross my fingers that they'll remember to stop their car in time.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm in Atlanta as well and daily drive my Elise, so the picture taking has become a pretty common thing for me. The strangest one was just last week. I was in a Chick-fil-A eating lunch and a guy spent a good 10 minutes photographing the car. He didn't just take a selfie or a snapshot as most people do - he shot the car from nearly every angle. Kinda made me wonder what his intentions were.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's really odd. The last time I saw someone taking pics, it was the same deal. He walked around and was taking detailed pics from every angle. It was in East Cobb.

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
348 Posts
Happens all the time. 2 days ago, had a car come up on my left and the passenger was hanging out the window to get a shot. I also notice cars speed up from behind to get close, then back off.....

·
Registered
123 Posts
When I take my car to shows and see a family with young children admiring the car. I ask them which one is their favorite. If they point to mine I ask if they want to sit in it. When they nod, I let them. Of course the child can barely see over the top of the steering wheel. Parents always say thank you. When the kids are done, I ask "Do you want mommy to buy you a car like this when you get older?" The kids nod and their mom says, "mommy can't afford it." We all laugh.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
It's constant.

I pretty much only drive my car in nice weather, and usually in nice places (because a lot of times I'm there for pictures also), and it never fails, someone always walks up and asks if they can take a few pictures. They go through the standard questions...

"How fast is it?"
"How much did it cost?"
"What is it?"
"Who makes Lotus?"

They snap a few pix then saunter off slowly, eyeballing it all the way.

I have the only Lotus in town, and in 9 years of ownership there has only been one other (red Elise, dude totaled it), so I get some attention because it's not something people normally see. I also live in a fairly small town, about 40,000 people, and in the heartland, so it's not like living close to Miami, a Lotus to these people might as well be an Ascari.

However, I never leave the car unattended for any length of time at all. If I'm driving it, I'm staying with it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts